Runaway

Dangerously in Love

"First of all... Sunggyu, this is the third time this week I put money in your card. Fifty thousand won each time, and you just spend it all without saving at least a little bit." Tablo leaned against the door.

 

 

The lad, sitting on a computer chair, didn't say anything back, or look back.

 

 

The older male sighed and looked at Myungsoo, "Yah, Myungsoo. Can you tell your brother to listen to me?"

 

 

He shrugged, and looked at his phone.

 

 

Irritated, Tablo looked back at Sunggyu, "You don't have a job, and you have no education. Are you always going to rely on me for everything you need and want? Don't you want to go back to school? You're almost nineteen, Gyu. Nineteen years old for damn sake."

 

 

"I don't know." was the only thing that came out from his mouth.

 

 

"Well, when school starts next month, you're going back. Your brother is obedient enough to at least do his homework, while you lounge around the house. It's not right, you're the oldest, and when the time comes, you'll be out of this house first. I'm going to call Hye Jung, and I'm going to make her give you a job at her shop."

 

 

"Whatever, if you want me to find a new way of living, or supporting myself... Then whatever." he answered.

 

 

Tablo never appreciated both Sunggyu and Myungsoo's behavior towards others. But he has grown to love them both, as they were already with him ever since they were as young as seven years old.

 

 

"And last thing, be nice to Hea Woo. Her mother disowned her after backing out of an arranged marriage, so be respectful. All of you, don't push her around or make her angry. Hye Jung told me that she can be a violent person. It's almost ten, so good night." Tablo walked out the door, and headed to the family room, where Sungjong and Hea Woo were left.

 

 

"Hea Woo-ah, I'll show you your room. Luckily we have a vacant room for you to stay in." Tablo told her, pointing to a door, "We'll go shopping for clothes for you by the end of next week, since I see Hye Jung gave you some things to wear."

 

 

She nodded, "Neh, thank you."

 

 

"Hey! That's the room next to mine and Sungyeol's! Just knock whenever you need anything, Sungyeol will wake up." Sungjong advised.

 

 

"I will. Thank you, I feel so welcome here thanks to the both of you. The others doesn't seem to like me.." she sighed.

 

 

"Most of them do, I'm sure. Sunggyu and Myungsoo probably might not, I'm not sure. Myungsoo's really friendly though, he's treats me as a little brother. So just be friendly towards him and he'll be the same to you. But Sunggyu hyung... it's impossible to put a smile on his face. Well, I'm going to finish my summer homework now, good night!" he added and ran to his room.

 

 

- - - -

 

(Monday morning)

 

 

It's been two days since Hea Woo entered Tablo's house. Her mother wasn't trying to find her, nor none of her friends were contacting her.

 

 

The boys were lightening up towards her...well, most of them. Whenever she says good morning at the dining table, most reply back, but the eldest doesn't say anything. She's actually never heard his voice.

 

 

As of now, they were eating in the kitchen, at the table, having cereal for breakfast.

 

 

"Remember you have work in 30 minutes, Hea Woo. I forgot to mention Sunggyu will be working at the coffee shop too." Tablo reminded her.

 

 

She looked at Sunggyu, who looked unaffected while eating. She thought he had a bad attitude for not being enthusiastic for anything, in short, she just didn't like him.

 

 

"I'm going to the shop around three, Hea Woo. I want an Ice Caramel Macchiato, remember that!" Sungjong smiled.

 

 

Hea Woo nodded, "Alright, Hye Jung gomo taught me to work behind the counter a long time ago anyway, I got you."

 

 

- - - -

 

 

The two got off the bus, the boy behind the girl, and they were walking to the shop, just three buildings away.

 

 

"Hea Woo-ah!" Hye Jung exclaimed when she saw her step-niece coming inside her coffee shop.

 

 

She smiled in return, "Good morning, gomo. We're here to work!"

 

 

"Oh right, one of the runaways is working here too." she looked at Sunggyu, "Don't do anything wrong, you break something behind the counter, your paycheck will lower."

 

 

Hea Woo tilted her head at the word 'runaway.' He's one of the runaways her gomo mentioned? Well, it seems like it, it kind of matches his personality, she thought.

 

 

Sunggyu just nodded.

 

 

Hye Jung looked back at her niece, "Show him how to work behind the counter, I need to get the deliveries out back, and Minwoo's coming at four when your shift is over." she went through the back door.

 

 

Hea Woo looked at her brand new co-worker, "Come. You can be behind the cash register for now. If you refuse to talk, then just write it down on the cup or on a paper."

 

 

They began working on their first shift, and Sunggyu, was indeed passing cups with the orders on it.

 

 

"He really hates talking...does he? Or is he just mute?" Hea Woo muttered, but it was loud enough for the other to hear.

 

 

He looked at her, "Your first impression was horrible, that's why I don't want to talk to you. Does that answer your question?"

 

 

Hea Woo looked back at him, "Horrible? How so? I didn't even say anything to you. In fact, you didn't even introduce yourself. For a runaway, you have such a bad attitude."

 

 

"Excuse me?" losing focus on his job, Sunggyu walked towards her, "Don't ever call me a runaway. I don't care if adults say it, but you, we're pretty much the same age. Don't even think about it."

 

 

"You can't leave your work station, you're in charge of taking orders, and I see a line. Go." she made an excuse to get him away, she felt uncomfortable.

 

 

After that, everything was awkward, the shop was full of negativity. Even when Sungjong came for a quick visit, he noticed it too. Hea Woo was going to tell her what happened, but he was too busy doing his summer homework, so he had to leave early.

 

 

At the end of their shift, Hye Jung came up to them, "Yah, the both of you. I heard what was going on earlier. Get along with each other by tomorrow, and come two hours early, we need to stock up inventory. Since it's four right now, you can leave by two o'clock tomorrow. Got it?"

 

 

They both nodded, put their aprons away, and walked out of the shop.

 

 

Hea Woo walked the opposite direction, causing the other to look at her, "Where the heck are you going? The bus stop is the other way."

 

 

"I want to get some ice cream after working for so long." she asnwered.

 

 

Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows, "What? It's one of the coldest days this summer, and you want ice cream? Fine, I'll go home first."

 

 

"You don't even know how to get home, and neither do you have money. So I don't know how you will."

 

 

He seemed shocked at the reply, "Such a nice tone you have there."

 

 

But in the end, before starting another argument, he decided just to go along with her.