/29

Do What You Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your POV

Shine bright like a diamond

 

Travis Garland’s mashup of Diamonds and Adorn begins to fill my ears. The addictive guitar plucks at my string-like bones and they vibrate in response, waiting desperately to move together to create a melody. It’s been so long that my bones seem to ache with want. There’s no denying that I want too.

 

Shine bright like a diamond

Find light in the beautiful sea

I choose to be happy

No more feeling bad or guilty. It’s okay to be happy. It’s okay to want to be happy.  

You and I, you and I

 

In the end all I have is myself. Me, myself and I, and I shouldn’t be ashamed of who I am. “You” is the part of me that has made mistakes, that isn’t proud of what she’s done but I still love her. She’s still a precious part of who I am. Nobody is perfect, that’s something I have to accept but despite my flaws I am still valuable. It’s time to let go.

 

We’re like diamonds in the sky

 

I take a deep breath and pull my hair into a ponytail wondering if I really want to do this.  I look down at my feet, hoping the answer is there. I’m wearing Vans, it’s just too perfect. Another sigh slips through my lips.

 

You’re a shooting star I see

A vision of ecstasy

When you hold me, I’m alive

We’re like diamonds in the sky

 

Do I need to do this? Lifting my head up I gaze at myself in the mirror. A girl stands there looking back at me with kohl-rimmed eyes, smudged yes, but determined nonetheless. She asks me the same question, her eyes bright with anticipation.

 

I knew that we’d become one right away

Oh, right away

At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays

I saw the life inside your eyes

 

Yes.

It’s time to let go. I know it and she knows it so what are we waiting for? I close my eyes and slide my left foot to the side.

 

So shine bright tonight, you and I

We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky

Eye to eye, so alive

We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky

 

  “Do What You Love,” that’s what my dad told me.

So I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYSJfvez9g

 

These lips can't wait to taste your skin, baby, no, no.....


 

I’m... stiff. My muscles and limbs have trouble transitioning into the next movements but still, I smile. It’s like the first breath of air after you’ve been underwater for a long time, painful but necessary. You have to come back up, get oxygen back in your lungs, and clear your head or you’d be forced to-- become a fish? What I’m trying to say is you’d have to change yourself, adapt to your new environment and become something you were never supposed to be. I don’t want to change myself or be someone I’m not. Without dance, I wouldn’t be able to go on. This, dance, is my oxygen, and I just have to learn how to breathe again.

 

I continue to dance and my small smile turns into a wide grin until I’m just laughing as I move to the beat, the voice, and the guitar. I feel so happy, my eyes remain closed because to open them would break the trance. Eventually, the song ends and I stop dancing. Although my chest still rises and falls from the effort, leaving me slightly breathless. How I love that feeling. The happiness doesn’t fade until-

 

*Clap. Clap. Clap*

 

I freeze. I do not breathe as my eyes fly open at the foreign sound.  Looking in the mirror I see the creator of the sound leaning against the doorframe behind me. A man. I tug my earbuds out of my ears ignoring the new song that blares through them with strong bass. My heart beats rapidly inside my chest overpowering the song. I blink several times at the man and each time I do my pupils dilate before I let out a rush of air. My eyes flicker to where my stuff is on the couch and I estimate how many steps it would take to get there and out the door. I’m guessing ten if I really want to get out of here, and I do.

 

I return my gaze back to the man. His biceps are exposed, snapback on backward over his black hair and tan Timberlands on his feet.

 

Why?

 

Jimin’s POV a few hours ago.

 

I scramble to pick my phone off the ground and quickly hang up. My heart beats vigorously as I place it on my nightstand. Sitting on the edge of my bed I wonder what the hell is going on. Why would Ari be answering Taehyung’s phone this early in the morning or answering his phone at all? Why are they even together at 8 am? I shake my head and try to erase the sound of her sleepy voice and how effortlessly inviting and tempting it was. Even though it was only one word, hello, it seems to be permanently seared into my mind sending chills up my spine. I struggled to find my phone and hang up because the blinds are closed, leaving the room in the dark just like I am.

I grab the remote next to my phone and open the blinds. Lifting myself up I stride over to my floor-length windows and into the warm morning sun. My bare feet stick to the wooden floors making a sticky squishy sound but it’s the only thing keeping me sane as I walk the length of my room. Stealing a glance at my phone I wonder if I should just call them again. No. It’s none of my business why they’re together. It’s not like she’s my girlfriend or anything buuuuuut Tae is my best friend and I do need to call to remind him of his test. There’s nothing wrong with that, right? An excuse is all I need.

 

I take four steps to my left, grab my phone, and put in Taehyung’s number having memorized it since he’s so close to me, like a brother. Then all that’s left is to press the call button. I look at his number on my screen, while my finger hovers above the button. I’m scared of what answer I’ll get if I do call. What if something is going on between them? Maybe I’m just being paranoid but I couldn’t handle it if they really were doing something.

 

Taehyung is notorious for his one-night stands and who knows, she might have been vulnerable and needy yesterday, I know I was.  They definitely could've done something. The Ari I know wouldn’t do that but how much do I really know about her? Have I really even tried to get to know her? There must have been a reason she didn’t trust me enough to tell me the truth. Regardless of the reason, I still want to be someone she can rely on. Different solutions and interpretations of the situation swarm around my head and I end up pocketing my phone instead of calling. Shuffling into my connected bathroom I prepare to take a shower, vowing to make a solid decision after I get out. I know where Taehyung is gonna be in two hours and I definitely have some things to discuss with him. If Ari is there, all the better, I need to apologize but also get some proper answers.

 

Your POV present time

 

His lips curl up into a timid smile before he reaches up to take off his hat, shakes out his bangs, and then puts it back on. The gesture is so like him. The gesture is so-

 

“Hey...”  he says taking a step forward, breaking my train of thought. I flinch stumbling backward, slightly shaking my head no, and he stops mid-step. I watch as his face turns to stone. A few still suffocating seconds pass as we stare at each other wondering what will happen. I’m still baffled as to why he is here, right now, in front of me. I hadn't expected to see him till Monday when I would have hopefully built up some feeble facade that I was okay. But right now, it’s just too soon.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter