19

Do What You Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

F4 and I stand in the boutique Ha Sun has been raving about all week, Madame Vogue, as we search through the rows and rows of beautifully made dresses that look like dresses models would wear during fashion week. I’m not a very fashiony person, my idea of style is a plain white tee, skinny jeans and some jordans, but even I can appreciate the artistry with which the dresses are made. We all set to work finding dresses for the dance and even finding some for each other.

 

“So Troublemaker, are you excited for the dance?” Mina asks me while she holds up a pair of cute black shorts that nicely contrast with her pale skin and match her midnight black hair.

 

I shrug, “I guess. I’m more nervous than excited actually. Even though Jimin is just a friend, this will be my first ‘date’ with a guy.”

 

Mina turns to me with flapping open like a fish, “This is your first date?!” With those words, somehow the rest of the girls find their way to us like bees buzzing towards honey. I sigh as they all look at me like I’ve grown a tail.

 

“How is that even possible? I mean look at you, you're so pretty!” Tae Hee accuses gesturing at me. The others nod their head in agreement and I blush because from them, the four prettiest girls at our school, that means a lot.

 

“I’ve never really wanted to date, I’d rather focus on my grades and danc-” I catch myself before I can say dance. It was my whole life before my parent’s accident and it’s been a part of me that isn’t easily forgotten.

 

“But I bet guys confess to you all the time right?” Tae Hee demands.

 

“No... Not really.” I mumble embarrassed. “I feel like I send out this ‘don’t talk to me’ vibe. Whenever people first meet me they say I look intimidating. It probably doesn’t help that I always have my nose in a book and avoid people I don’t know.”

 

“No duh!” says Bora, “You need to get out more! Put yourself out there. If you show everyone the badass Kim Ari that you show us, I sure guys would be lining up to confess.”

 

Bora’s eyes fall on a leather dress and her eyes brighten and a mischievous smile decorates her face. It’s like I can see the imaginary light bulb above her head flick on as she excitedly plucks the dress off the rack and wags it in front of me, urging me to take it. When I do, Bora shuffles close to the other girls and circles them up into a tight little huddle. I lean towards them in an attempt to hear their hushed whispers.

 

“We have been faced with a mission you guys. Our mission for this dance is to make as many heads turn to stare at Troublemaker as possible and if someone gets jealous *cough* Jimin *cough*, then that’s an added bonus. No matter the cost, we will make our little anti-social Troublemaker the most beautiful and approachable girl there!”

 

The rest of the girls nod, happy with their new mission. Determination shines in their eyes as they shout fighting! Well it doesn’t really come out as shout since they’re still whispering. I chuckle at how silly they look.

 

When they disperse from their little huddle I ask to amuse myself and satisfy them, “What were you guys talking about over there?”

 

Ha Sun shrugs nonchalantly, but I see a smile tugging at her lips “Oh nothing. Just thinking of a way to cure your anti-social ness. Don’t worry about it though just try this dress on.”

 

She hands me a black and white geometric print midi dress which I take. The others begin plucking dresses, shoes, and purses off the racks and shelves and throw them into my arms. After my arms are completely filled with clothes they push me into a dressing room and yell out  fighting! First I try on a cute embellished, cut-out, leather dress paired with a black moto jacket that I can immediately guess who picked it. Miss Rebel Bora.

 

I walk out and do a little twirl and even take off the jacket to show the cut out back, I feel like I’m in a fashion show. Ha Sun, Tae Hee, Mina and Bora stare at me as I strut down my imaginary runway.

 

Mina tucks a flyaway behind her ear, “I don’t really think this will help with your whole ‘don’t talk to me’ problem. On the plus side, you’ll stand out at least.”

 

“True. It’s cute, but it’s too much black. You're going to a dance not a rock concert.” Ha Sun chimes in.

 

“Well I love it!” Bora says grinning with clasped hands as I almost fall in the 6 inch high black platform heels she added to the outfit.     

 

“Of course you love it, you picked it out!” Tae Hee accuses nudging her friend.

 

“So... next one?” I ask pointing back to the room, they all nod except for Bora.

 

“Fine, I’ll buy it for myself,” Bora says mumbling something about how none of us know what fashion is. I go back inside the changing room and try on the next outfit but they dislike this dress too, which is something Tae Hee picked out. A t-shirt/dress with a lion on it, they complain that it’s too short and too casual. This repeats itself again, I try something on, they don’t like it, I go back inside and try something else. Now there is only one dress left.

 

I go back into the changing room dragging my feet. I feel like I’ve tried on a million dresses, “This is the last dress!” I yell through the door.

 

I smile as I slip on the dress I picked out for myself.  The dress is a red lace detailed mermaid dress. The cinched waist accentuated what little curves I have but is still lose enough that I can move and dance in.

 

I start to incorporate all of them somehow into the outfit because truthfully after hanging out with them for a few months now, they have shaped who I am and I’ve picked up some of their habits. In the silver glittery clutch, is Ha Sun who is full of sophistication. In the silver platform heels is rebellious Bora who keeps her head high and her confidence higher. The dress itself is simple yet elegant at the same time like Mina who doesn’t bother ironing her uniform but manages to look flawless in a way I could only dream of. Tae Hee is seen in the playful way the dress swishes when I walk and the red color that matches her fiery attitude. I walk out a little nervous if they will like it or not. When I close the door behind me, their breath catch and they stare at me in astonishment.

 

“Who are you and what have you done with Troublemaker?” Mina says recovering first. I chuckle and roll my eyes at her cliche compliment.

 

“Does it look alright?” I walk towards the quartet so when I turn around I  can see my full reflection in the mirror hanging on the door.

 

“Alright? You look amazing!” Tae Hee says tickling my side. I laugh and swat her hand away.  

 

“Wait! Before you turn around... just one more adjustment.” Ha Sun says putting down my hair that has been in a bun after dress #3 when this started to feel more like a sport than just plain shopping. It falls down my back in loose waves. She also slips off my glasses, which makes my vision blurry but when I turn to the mirror it’s like my vision clears.

 

I inhale at my reflection, finally realizing what they were so shocked by. I look like a totally different person. I look mature. I look like I’m glowing. I look good. I don’t think I’ve felt this good in a long time. Guess all I needed was a little shopping therapy. The dress fits in all the right places and makes my legs look miles long.

 

“So who gets the rights to brag about how good Troublemaker looks in this dress?” Mina questions looking at Ha Sun, then Bora, then Tae Hee who all shake their heads in return.

 

I smile smugly, “That would be me.” I say raising my hand.

 

Ha Sun high fives my elevated hand, “Good job fashion prodigy~ I don’t think we will find as amazing outfits as yours but we can try right?” I nod and she smiles, “Okay... Let’s get to work!”

 

We spend another hour and a half looking for dress until Tae Hee,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter