23

Do What You Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

We arrive at the school and head into the big ballroom that is reserved for these kinds of events. Like I’ve mentioned, BigHit High School is a very wealthy prestigious school, evident from the fact that they have their own ballroom in the basement.

 

I secretly steal glances at Jimin as we walk through the school towards the basement, way too wracked with nerves to even look in his direction during the limo ride over. He’s dawned in an impecabbly tailored ebony Armani suit that accentuates his athletic built. I know it's expensive just by looking at it, the way the matte material still manages to catch the light as it curves around his shoulders making them look even wider. On his wrist is an iced-out AP watch that catches the overhanging lights to complete Jimin's sophisticated and mature demeanor tonight. To finish off the dashing look, his hair is tousled up with a little gel. He looks amazing, I can’t seem to take my eyes off of him. I laugh when I notice something about his outfit, causing Jimin to turn and stare at me quizzingly.

 

"So you already figured out a way to fasten your tie all by yourself huh? Guess my services aren't needed anymore.” I tease pointing at his tie.

 

Jimin looks down at his tie and chuckles, "Actually no. I didn't want you to have to do it for me twice in one day so I asked Daesung (the lobby guy at their apartment) to help me. I was so close to watching a YouTube video on how to do it too. Thank God he was there."

 

I join him in his laughter and soon we arrive at the ballroom entrance.  As we walk down the stairs into the main event area, it feels like all eyes are on us. The girls are probably all gushing at how handsome Jimin looks. I feel a tinge of annoyance and jealousy as some of the female attendees' eyes, students' and mothers alike, seem to light up and linger as they check him out. Who can blame them though, he does look rather dapper tonight.

 

 

Jimin POV

 

We make our way down the stairs into the ballroom arm in arm and it feels like all eyes are on us. I unconsciously pull Troublemaker closer as I see guys looking at her through lustful eyes like she is some quest to conquer.  I’m not just saying this because I like her, but I don't like them looking at her like that. Even though I undoubtedly agree that she looks absolutely gorgeous, it’s not right. I can already tell I’m going to have to keep a lot of guys away from her tonight but I would do it for her in a heartbeat. I would do anything for her.

 

    Your POV

When our grand entrance down the stairs is over I finally have a chance to focus on the event space and not on walking down the stairs in my heels and hoping not to fall. I gasp at how beautiful it looks, flowers decorate every surface perfuming the air with a beautiful scent. A small orchestra lies to the side of an elevated stage playing light airy music.  The ballroom is filled with students from our school and smiling middle-aged women and men surround them. I feel a tinge of sadness from seeing all the families laughing and socializing together. But then I remember the necklace around my neck, how it represents the love of my family despite them physically not being here. I trace over the infinity heart with my fingers and I don’t feel so sad anymore.

 

"You guys made it!" I hear a familiar voice exclaim from behind us. Jimin and I turn around at the sound to see everyone, Bangtan and F4, smiling and dressed up specifically for the occasion.

 

"Why do you sound so surprised? We said we were coming right?" I retort hugging Tae Hee the owner of the voice. I take turns hugging Mina and Bora while Jimin does the bro hug with Bangtan.

 

"Where is Ha Sun?" I ask after we finish greeting each other and complimenting each other on how good everyone and everything looks.

 

"Over there," Suga says pointing to the front of the hall near the stage. Looking in that direction I see a group of powerful, rich-looking, middle-aged men standing there conversing. I recognize Principal Baek as one of the men and see the top of a girl’s head, Ha Sun.

 

"She's playing hostess tonight along with her dad so we probably won't see her a lot until later when the party is underway," Jin adds.  

 

I nod in understanding and continue to watch the group hoping to catch her attention. Our eyes finally meet while she is laughing at something one of the men said. She looks at me and when the man's attention is elsewhere, she rolls her eyes and mouths the words Kill me now. I giggle at how bored and uninterested she looks. I guess this is the burden of being a young aristocrat, always having to kiss everyone's . I mouth fighting! and raise a fist in encouragement. She laughs but then stifles it as she remembers who she is around. I giggle at how silly she is but stop when Tae Hee nudges me, bringing my attention back to her and the group. I turn around to see only Tae Hee, Bora, and I.

 

“Woah where did everyone just disappear to?” I inquire when I see the massive empty space that Bangtan occupied just a few seconds ago.

 

Bora sighs and shakes her head, “Chasing after the caterers for hors d'oeuvres. I swear those boys cannot last two minutes without stuffing their faces with food. But Mina and J-hope went to go find our tables.” I nod my head and laugh at how true her statement is. The Bangtan boyscould probably eat a whole buffalo and still be hungry.

 

Tae Hee who is watching the boys devour several salmon crostini to the chagrin of the caterer while trying hard not to salivate laments, “And why aren’t we with them? A girl's gotta eat!” She exclaims taking a step towards them but Bora pulls her back by the tie of her dress, making a "tsk tsk tsk" motion with her finger.

 

“Don’t you remember our mission? We have to break Troublemaker out of her awkward antisocial shell!” I roll my eyes at their so-called mission but don’t say anything, nothing I say with deter them anyway.

 

Tae Hee pouts, “But, but, they have sushi!” Bora gives her a blank unimpressed stare ( -_-) and Ta Hee groans in response “Ugh fine! Let’s go talk to some boys. At least we can satisfy one of my cravings.” She suggestively winks and I almost gag while Bora just laughs.

 

“Oh hey I know them,” She says pointing to two boys that just walked past us. “Yo Mark, Jackson!”


The two guys’ heads swivel around at the sound of their names. The boys are both of average height, but each has their own distinctive attractive features. One has red-gelled-up hair and the other has black-defined eyebrows with pierced ears.  They walk over to us with friendly smiles on their faces. They are both extremely attractive and seem like really nice guys not like the typical douchebags our school is filled with.

 

“What’s up Bora. Are you finally taking me up on that offer to teach you tricking?” The one with red hair asks with a giddy boyish grin when they are close enough.

 

Bora fake laughs and shakes her head, “Haha. No. I’m not trying to break my neck doing a backflip okay. That’s her area of expertise,” she says tilting her head in Tae Hee’s direction. Tae Hee just gives a shy innocent smile that wouldn’t convey that she is a hardcore b-girl. “Let me introduce you to Tae Hee and Troublemaker.” She gestures to us as she says our names, and we bow as she introduces the boys to us. “This is Jackson and Mark.”

 

Jackson, the one with diamond earrings raises one sharp eyebrow, “Troublemaker huh? That’s a nice nickname, though you don’t look like one.”

 

I smirk, “Didn’t anyone tell you looks can be deceiving?”

 

He laughs and it's a cheerful hearty sound, “Touche, I may look all wild and y but...”

 

“But what?” I ask when he doesn’t finish his sentence.

 

“But nothing, I am wild and y!”

 

We all laugh and I’m grateful that he is so outgoing and friendly because first meetings can be awkward.

 

“Wait, so what’s tricking?” Tae Hee asks when our laughter dies down.

 

Bora facepalms, “Oh crap. Of course, I had to introduce these two to Tae Hee. Troublemaker, we should just leave now, they are gonna start talking about b-boying.”

 

Mark who has been quiet during the conversation until now turns and looks at Tae Hee with wide eyes, “You know how to breakdance?”

 

She simply nods her head slowly and narrows her eyes wondering why he is staring at her like that.

 

Jackson grins, “Seriously! Well, tricking is mixing martial arts with b-boy techniques. Mark can do this really cool trick where...”

 

Bora turns and whispers to me, “What did I tell ya. Wait, look at how Tae Hee’s eyes are lighting up. It’s like she’s in heaven.” I look at Tae Hee and laugh only for her to turn and glare at me before immersing herself in her convo with Jackson and Mark again.

 

 

After going around greeting and mingling with pretty much the whole school, courtesy of Tae Hee and Bora, I take a seat at our table to rest my sore feet.

That's it, I'm never wearing heels ever again, I think as I take a sip of water.

 

The orchestra stops playing a fast-paced jazz tune and instead plays an acoustic ballad causing several students and their parents to make their way onto the dance floor. With a blissful and longing smile on my face, I watch Namjoon try to dance with his mom but he keeps accidentally stepping on her feet. I giggle as his mom scolds him and he bows in apology with a sheepish smile on his face.

 

It's nice to see everyone having fun and dancing with their parents. Nowadays teenagers take their parents for granted, only looking forward to when they leave the house and begin their lives as adults. That's why I think this dance is such a good idea.

 

I stop scrutinizing all the happy families and take out my phone to scroll on Twitter, hoping it will lessen my impending boredom and hopefully distract myself from the fact that well, I'm by myself.

 

"What's up loner," the sound of a male’s familiar deep voice reaches my ears and I don't even need to look up to know who it is. Yoo Seung-Heon.

 

I keep my eyes glued to the screen of my phone, "What's up Seung-Heon, aka fellow loner." I hear the scraping of the chair beside me getting pulled back as he sits down.

 

"Me? A loner? Yeah right."

 

I raise my head to look at him. Even though I can only see his side profile since he is watching people dance I can still see the ever-present, almost always condescending smirk on his face.

 

"At least I acknowledge my anti-social ness. Why would you come over here if you weren't searching for some company too?" I ask to half his face.

 

"Maybe I just wanted to talk to you," he mumbles under his breath.  He tilts his head and meets my inquiring gaze with warmth and affection etched into his irises. I blink in surprise.

 

His eyes become wide in shock and he averts his gaze as if he wasn't expecting my head to be up, for my attention to be on him, and for me to see those emotions reflected in his eyes.  I blink again, confused about what I just saw. I study Seung-Heon as his eyes dart around the room, staring at the table setting, the floor, the dancers, anywhere but at me, as he fiddles with a ring on his finger, a pink tint gracing his cheeks. This is the first time I've seen him so flustered or even flustered at all. It's intriguing. But then he clears his throat and pulls back his shoulders and the confident Seung-Heon is back in a matter of seconds. Everything happens so fast that I'm even questioning if my eyes are deceiving me.

 

He crosses his arms and leans back into the chair smirking, but still doesn't meet my eyes. "Well, I didn't think you would actually come. It was such a surprise that I had to make sure I wasn't hallucinating."

 

Despite my confusion, I decide to ignore his behavior and just follow the flow of the conversation. "Is that right? So have you decided then, whether you're hallucinating? Am I real or not?"

 

He snickers and finally looks at me, "I'm not sure yet. The thing that is confusing me the most is that you are actually looking sort of decent for once. Wearing a dress and all."

 

I pout at his jab "Hey, come on don't be mean."

 

"I'm not, I'm jus-"

 

I cut him off as I realize something, a smirk growing on my face "Wait... How do you know I look decent? Were you were checking me out Mr. President?"

 

His eyes get round again as he looks at me in disbelief, cheeks flushing red, "Of course not! You’re so weird. What kind of girl asks that kind of question! "

 

I laugh at how embarrassed he is by my accusation. "I was just kidding, but seeing how badly you are blushing I must be right!"

 

He returns his attention to the dancing families and shakes his head in a disapproving manner. But I can see a smile tugging on his lips. "In your dreams, Kim Ari."

 

"No, in your dreams," I tease back.

 

Then silence takes the place of our lively banter. I watch as the playfulness and ease seem to drain out of his face. He fiddles with hair in a nervous manner, heaving a big sigh before he turns to face me.

 

"I have to tell you something, the real reason I came over here." I'm startled by how tense and anxious he looks because those emotions don't belong to the Great, always calm and collected, Seung-Heon. "It was to ask you to danc-"

 

"Troublemaker." A voice calls out, cutting Seung-Heon off. My attention is averted and I look behind me to see a relieved Jimin walking towards our table. My face instantly lights up and a wide grin breaks out.

 

"I've been looking for you everywhere," he claims walking closer. He cuts a glance at Seung-Heon and I remember what happened the last time we were all together.

 

"Well, here I am. What's up?" I ask hoping that will distract Jimin.

 

"Well I wanted to ask you to dance with me," he confesses with a bashful smile, and my grin, if it's even possible, gets wider in response. I fight the urge to squeal.

 

Feeling bold I toss my hair over my shoulder and smirk, "Well ask me then."

 

He laughs a little, and straightens out his suit, "Okay, I will, are you ready for this?" He asks and I laugh telling him to just hurry up and do it.

 

 "Will you, Miss Kim Ari aka Troublemaker, do me the honors of accompanying me onto the dance floor?" he asks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter