1

Do What You Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, where are you guys? I’m about to go on in ten minutes.”

“We’re on our way honey. There’s a lot of traffic, we will be there as soon as we can.”

“Okay just hurry, please. You know how important this is to me.”

“We know Ari. We’ll be there soon. Break a leg honey, we love you!”

I promptly hang up and an irritated sigh slips through my lips. Occasionally, no actually ALL the time, I feel like I am not a priority for my parents. They are certified workaholics, with no concept of a work-life balance. I don’t even know why I am getting my hopes up, they’re only in Seoul because of a business trip and my competition is probably just an inconvenient detour for them.

I avert my gaze from my dance members that are surrounded by their families, they've come bearing signs, flowers, and other gifts, but most importantly their support. I attempt to suppress my jealousy and focus on practicing our dance moves for the umpteenth time. My stage fright has made an unwanted appearance and I cannot deny that I would really just like my parents to be here for once. I switch between pacing and practicing, pacing and practicing, in hope that one of the actions will help shake some of my nerves away but neither does anything to calm my racing heart. Our dance crew has traveled all the way from Gunsan to Seoul to compete and I would hate to mess it up.

“Hey, are you okay?”

I turn around to see Eunji looking at me with a worried expression.“Y-yeah, I-I’m fine.” I stutter unconsciously.

She laughs and shakes her head, “Yeah right, you're shaking Ari.” Eunji places her warm hand on my shoulder giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Just take a deep breath. I'll go get you some water to replenish the buckets you’re sweating off.”

I laugh at her jest and relax a bit under her touch, “Dude shut up, normal humans sweat okay? You’re the abnormal one for never sweating...” my eyes narrow as I scrutinize her, “are you a robot or something...”

She playfully shrugs but commences to do an over-animated version of the robot over to the table laden with all types of beverages and refreshments for the performers. Her antics make me chuckle and I feel a bit of the weight lift off my shoulders. Eunji has been my best friend and dance partner for years so she always knows what to say to calm me down. She brings me a bottle of water and I gulp it down, smiling as the refreshing cool liquid glides down my throat. I feel a little better as our leader, Jiyeon, and the other girls in our crew make their way to where we stand.

“Are you guys ready?” she asks. They all look at me and I nod giving them a reassuring smile.

“Good.” Jiyeon sticks out her left hand into the middle and we all put our hands on top of hers.

“Maxstep!” we shout before walking towards the stairs that lead to the stage.

We all listen to the announcer as he introduces us, “Next we have the very anticipated all-girl dance crew Maxstep!”

We hear screams and cheers as we make our way up the stairs and we find our positions on stage. I take a deep breath sparing a few seconds to search the crowd once again for my parents. Where are they?

I exhale and close my eyes as the lights dim and the crowd hushes. A smile spreads across my face. Let’s do this!

Then I get lost in the music.                           

 

 

I sit in the lobby of the hotel we stayed in for the weekend, gazing at the first place trophy and the envelope with my share of the cash prize. A feeling of pure bliss envelops me as I remember how it felt when the announcer crowned us the winner.

It’s already been two hours since the end of the competition, the majority of my crew have already checked out of the hotel, following their parents to their respective homes. I’m alone but I can’t stop the grin that spreads across my face and the immense sense of pride and joy I feel at our accomplishment. It takes all my willpower not to scream and combust into a celebratory dance right there in the middle of the lobby. I still can’t even fathom the fact that our leader Jiyeon actually gave me the trophy. It’s times like this that make me think that being the maknae of the group isn't so bad. But... then I quickly come back to my senses upon remembering all the late nights I’ve spent cleaning our dance studio as the “loving maknae."

I check my cell phone once again in hopes of a call or text from my parents. I searched for them everywhere after the competition but after 45 minutes of aimless wandering, I decided to return to the hotel with the others. It’s been so long with no contact with them that a seedling of doubt starts to grow in the pit of my stomach. I decide to call them again but they both go to voicemail.

That’s weird. Dad never turns off his phone.

I let my phone drop back into my lap with an exasperated sigh. I'm sure there was another very important business meeting that they just had to attend. It wouldn't be the first time I was stood up by them. Instead of dwelling on their absence, I look up at the TV above the check-in desk in hopes of a distraction.

“On the Banpo bridge today, there was a terrible car crash. A semi-truck holding steel pipes crashed into a speeding car--”

Suddenly my phone rings and I look down to see a number I do not recognize. I hesitate whether to pick up or not, but i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter