Chapter 5: The Day Time Stopped

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 5XOXO

-The Day Time Stopped-

*Hye Kyung's POV*

 

It was only 1:00 am and I found myself outside of the dorm, it was a little chilly but I knew it would certainly get warmer; summer is fast approaching after all. We were walking towards the Han River, there were next to no people and the silence calming me. He was walking in front of me; I just trailed lazily behind, not minding him or anyone else. I enjoy silence; it gives me a kind of peace. I inhale deeply, when I suddenly felt someone tugging my coat forward.

I look up, Kai seems to be in a hurry so I took the cue and jogged next to him. Trying to match his long strides with my clumsy smaller ones. When we arrived at the Han River, he let me go and went to lie down on a random patch of grass, staring at the vast expanse of darkness with only a few twinkling lights that is the sky. I just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what I'll do. So I just shifted my weight from right to left. When he noticed that I was nowhere to be found he lifted his head and surveyed his surroundings, upon seeing me he gestured for me to come over and lie beside him. I was in no mood to debate; I was tired so I just complied. Staring at the still dark sky, trying to think of how I got here. What I had to go through just to land this job, my sacrifices, all my previous disappointments and a lot of things that I hadn't had the time to think about. I was about to cry when he spoke.

 

"I like it here at this hour. I like the sound of water flowing, it calms me. I like the breeze, I like how there aren't many people but most of all I like how the sky changes colour from black to midnight blue then rays of dark red appear after that orange then everything turns bright. It makes me believe that everything is really simple." he says, making hand gestures in the air while he did.

 

I didn't know what to say, did he just open up? Did he do that on purpose or was it only because of the tiredness and the stress? I was about to speak when he suddenly sat up, looking at me intently. I followed suit, facing him because I felt like he had something to tell me. He grabbed me by the shoulders, his eyes burning on mine then he spoke. His words sending a flutter of electricity in every part of my body.

 

"I want you to forget that you already met me and I want you to know that I'm not really a jerk. Pretend that this is the first time you've ever laid your eyes on me. Forget that I'm an idol, that I've been someone I’m not. Just for this day, promise me that you won't see kai and all you'll see is me, Kim Jongin." he said, eyes intently focused on mine, every word emphasized and I felt like I wanted to do it too. No kai, just him even before he became an idol.

 

"I will." is all that exits my mouth. My heart is thumping like crazy and I didn't know why. It’s not like he confessed his feelings, he just said what he wanted to.

 

He let go of me, smiled then stood up. Offering his hand to help me up, I took it without hesitation.

Then he said "Hi, I'm Kim Jongin. Call me whatever you want. Nice to meet you." then he bowed, his smile different from what I remember but then again maybe that wasn't really him, maybe everything he showed me was a facade, a part of him that he needed to show his fans. Kai, who doesn't exist for today.

 

"Hi, I'm Han Hye Kyung. Call me Hye Kyung or Blue. To clear any misunderstandings that might occur my legal name here is Lim Kyon Rae but I don't use it often. Nice to meet you." I bow, stifling my laughter. I almost said that he could call me crong.

 

"Blue, do you want to walk with me?" he asks nervously, holding his neck every now and then.

 

I laugh a free laugh that I've never let any of exo hear before because this laugh is my 'unprofessional laugh'- whatever that means then hit him playfully in the arms.

"Yah, Jongin-shi. Why are you so nervous? I don't bite. -I laugh again- of course I'll walk with you." then I skip more than walk, my back facing whatever lies ahead and my face facing him, urging him to follow me.

He smiles, a soft gentle smile then jog to catch on to me. The sky wasn't as dark as it was before, there were already pinches of red and I look at my watch. 4:00am, it was so hard to believe since it felt like only minutes had passed. I was contemplating on how fast time flies when he nudged me. I look up to him, took note of his sharp yet at the same time soft features then he speaks.

"Don't worry about time, because whatever happens it goes on anyway." I look back up at him, his words piercing my mind; I've always been conscious of time, because it's a big part of what I do but I decide to give myself a day. Just a day to forget about everything and everyone else except the man who rented my day. I pluck out my phone and text Eun.

 

'Good Morning my dear, cover exo today will you? Don't worry about me, I'm fine. I'll explain later, sorry and thank you. :) '

 

Jongin sees me fiddling with my phone and snatches it away, making disapproving noises with his tongue.

 

"No phones today my sweet Miss Blue." proceeding to turn off my phone and hiding it in his jeans' pocket.

 

I pout like a child then nudge him back.

 

"What about your phone? Why is my phone the only one turned off? Huh?" I say. "Where is your phone anyway?" scratching my head.

 

He fishes his phone on the other side of his jeans' pocket and dangles it in front of me. I take a swipe at it then successfully get it the first time. He looks at me, mouth agape. I stick my tongue out and opened his phone.

I smile at the sight, his lock screen is a picture of him and his family, then I open it shocked to  know that he didn't put a pass code on it then smile once again when I see his home screen, him and exo all looking like fools at the camera.

 

I clicked the photos app just to see his pictures -yes, I am nosy- I was waiting for it to load when he realized what I was doing, his eyes widened and quickly took a swipe at his phone. I tried to get it away from him but my clumsiness took place and I fell out of balance. Falling on my bum with a thud, it hurt but I find myself laughing. Hitting the grass beside me. I looked up at him, grinning like a fool. He looked confused and shocked; I take deep breaths to calm myself and took my hands up in surrender.

 

"Fine, fine. I'm sorry; I shouldn't have tried to snoop. I'm going to turn it off now." then I turn it off.

 

I sit there for a few minutes, just looking up the sky which is now turning light. I tap the grass beside me and he sits.

 

"Let's just wait until sunrise; I've been too busy for years that I haven't even been able to look at the sky." I say, looking at the sky and smiling. I can already feel heat radiating from the sky and I enjoyed it. I lie back down and stretch, I feel him shift on my side and I know he's doing the same.

 

"I thought we were going to walk." he says. I turn my head to look at him and I feel a smile tugging my lips, his eyes were closed and he seemed to be enjoying the minimal heat himself.

 

"We already walked didn't we? Don't worry; we'll walk some more after the sunrise."

 

I look at the sky, and you were just in time to see the sun rising, you shake him and pointed at the sky. You both watched the sun rise that day, both stripped of the daily facade you call life, both finding a small crack in your boxed life.

 

After watching the sun rise, you went to a nearby cafe to take breakfast. You already took off your coat; it wasn't that chilly anymore so you were only wearing 3 layers of shirt (1 t-shirt and 2 layers of sleeveless tops. -one of which might be his.)

 

He seemed shocked that I took of my coat. "Don't worry; the only thing I can take off now is my shirt." I tease. He just smirks.

 

I study the menu and was making a decision between strawberry and blueberry pancakes when the waiter approached us. I looked at him first, signalling him to order first.

"I'll just take bacon with French toast." he says to the waiter.

"How would you like eggs sir?" The waiter asks. I vibrate in my chair, silently laughing. Oh me and my dirty mind. He looks at me while answering the waiter's question.

"Sunny side up please."

"Would you like coffee with that?"

"No, just water and uhmmm. Do you have strawberry milk?" he asks, fidgeting.

"Yes sir, we do."

"Then one of those." he says, making eye contact with the floor.

"What about you miss?" the waiter asks, turning to me.

"Uhmmm. Which is better? Strawberry or Blueberry pancakes?" I ask, focused intently on the waiter.

"Our strawberry pancakes are our best seller miss." I brighten up.

 

"Then one strawberry pancake and banana milk please." I say, closing the menu, satisfied.

 

"Banana milk?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Yeap. Ba-na-na milk. I love it, been addicted to it ever since I tasted it same with milkis and strawberry milk but I love banana milk the most and I don't care if you tell me I'm like a kid." I tell him, beaming.

 

He scoffs. "You're like taemin sunbaenim." he comments

 

I just smile. "He's the one who introduced it to me. Once in an interview." I share.

 

His eyes widen and he takes in air. "You two have met?" he asks, confused.

 

"Yeap. I've already interviewed SHINee, Girls Generation and some various groups. I'm closer to SHINee though, they were my first assignment. I was only a rookie but they were very kind to me and Taemin-shi even taught me some tips." I explain, remembering the moment like it was yesterday.

 

He mumbles something incoherent and then our food comes. We talk about everything and nothing. We spent breakfast in flurries of laughter and embarrassments. I've learned so much about him, things I never learned or even noticed in the first two days I stayed with them.

 

Like how he's easily flustered and scared, how he likes to watch pororo, how he has a hard time expressing how he feels thus he often ends up misunderstood, how he has a hard time around girls because he doesn't know how to be around them and how he has a liking to long, slender necks.

                                                                                                                                 

When we finished, it was already 9:30am and the sun was already shining. I take off my shirt and put it inside the backpack -yes, I'm using a backpack. His to be exact- I braid my hair to the side and got ready to walk when he stopped me. I look behind me and he was just looking at me.

 

"What did you just do?" he asks me, head tilted to the side.

 

"Uhmm. I took off my shirt? Because it's already warm?" I say, doubtful.

 

"Nice clothes." he smirks, lets go of me then walks.

 

I look down to what I'm wearing and then face palm myself. I was wearing the red and black sleeveless he wore on the Baby Don't Cry teaser. Ughhh, why did this happen.

 

//FAST FORWARD//

We were in an amusement park -Lotte World- the way here was full of puns, pokes here and there, me trying to find where he's ticklish because he started it, playful insults shot at each other and stolen glances.

I looked around me, it was still early and there still weren't a lot of people around. I was so giddy, I couldn't stay still, and I’m so excited I could burst. So many rides, so little time. My thoughts of cotton candy and snow cones were interrupted by jongin's warm laughter. I look at him behind me only to find his chest rumbling with laughter, he was almost toppling over because of laughter.

 

"What?" I ask him, hopping from my left to right.

 

"You're like a kid on an energy drink." he says, catching his breath.

 

"What? You don't get excited when you see rides, games and food everywhere?" I say, confused. I mean really, who doesn't get excited?

 

He just shrugs and walks toward me, slings his arm on my neck, bends then whispers "Where to, my little miss blue?" his hot breath tickling my sensitive neck.

 

I grin then point at the flying fiesta. "Then to the skies we fly." he tucks his cap down, holds my hand and leads the way.

 

After 5 consecutive rides we took a break to rest. I was already sweating and I used the shirt I took off earlier as a towel. I notice that jongin is sweating but he still has his coat, scarf and cap on. Poor guy.

 

"Why don't you take off at least 2 of your clothes? Leave the scarf and cap on." I suggested, munching on fries that I bought earlier.

 

He looks around in panic and I roll my eyes. I find a narrow space and pull him there. I start to take off his coat when he stops me.

 

"Are you doing this for me or because you just want to see my body?" he asks, smirking.

 

"Aigoo. Jongin-shi, you're an airhead. I'm doing this because your sweat can already make a bucket full and because I can see that you're having a hard time. Don't worry; no one will recognize you anyway." I say, proceeding to take of his coat and his long sleeves only to be surprised that he was only wearing a sleeveless that stuck to his well sculpted body. I feel my face flush. I quickly turn around and throw my shirt at him. I can hear him snickering.

 

"There, wipe yourself up. I'm just going to buy you a new shirt." I tell him then went to search for a merchandise store of some sort until I saw a 'kid friendly' store. I smile.

 

After I bought the shirt, I go back to the narrow space and give him the plastic.

 

"Go and change. I'm just going to find something to eat." I snicker.

                                           

I walk to the food center all bubbly, it was about 1 in the afternoon and the food center was already full of bustling and hungry people. I find a seat for two and thought to wait there. I start laughing when I see him from a distance. Wearing the shirt I bought him, the crong shirt and he doesn't look happy.

 

He sits down on the chair opposite mine and glares at me for about 3 mins when I couldn't help myself and laugh.

 

"Yah! You think this is funny?" he asks, his voice rising.

 

"Waeyo? Why are you getting angry? I already bought you a shirt and you don't even thank me?" I say, pouting.

"Why this shirt?" he asks, a smile already pulling in his lips.

 

"Because it's cute and it matches the shirt I bought... For my little sister" was all I said, I didn't want him to know that I was a fan girl, not because I was ashamed but because I already chose to forget about that phase.

 

I stand up and was about to go when I remember that he also hasn't eaten yet; I turn back around and ask him. "What do you want to eat?" smiling at the thought of food finally entering my starved body.

 

"I'll have whatever you're having." he answers non chalantly.

 

I just shrug and went on my merry way. The lines were long and I was already hungry. I decided on buying rice meals because it was both cheap and fulfilling. By the time I got on the counter it was already 1:45 and I was cranky from being hungry. I quickly say my order and wait for my number to be called by the time I sat down it was already 2:00 and my stomach was already growling.

 

"You sure took your time." jongin remarks. I glare at him, put the tray down and say "Just eat." before I dug into my food. After I finished I became my normal bubbly self but he was just quiet.

 

"I'm sorry I was cranky earlier, that happens to me when I'm either hungry or the weather's too warm." I start.

 

"You're one weird girl, you know that?" he says, scoffing.

 

"I know and proud of it." I counter, winking. "Let's go, I want some cotton candy and a snow cone." I say, standing up then clapping.

 

"Didn't we just eat?" he asks, an eyebrow raised.

 

"Yeap, but this is desert." I answer, walking ahead of him to the stalls.

 

He bought me the two snacks even though I insisted that I pay. I was finishing them both when he suddenly nudged me, opened his mouth then did the gesture 'feed me', I positioned the cotton candy so he could get some but he just shook his head and gestured again. Aigooo this big kid. I roll my eyes, got some cotton candy and quickly put it in his mouth buy not quick enough because before I got my fingers out he closed it. I pulled my fingers out and wiped it on his clothes.

 

"Eeewwww, you're disgusting. You know that right?" glaring at him. I get my sanitizer and put some on my hands.

 

"You're weird. If I did that to other girls they would love it then say that they would die happy." he said, seemingly baffled then smirks. "You're different." I hit him then went on to finish my snacks. After finishing it we were finding out which to ride the next then intro to growl. My head whipped up to look at him, smile then started to dance to the music -I memorized it because I used to cover their dances- and before I knew it, many were already dancing with me. It was like a flash mob and I liked it; I challenged him to dance with us since he just stood watching. After the chorus he placed himself beside me and danced, he synchronized naturally, with no hardships whatsoever.

 

After that we just sat in a bench, it was already 3:30pm and we still had a lot of rides to go.

 

"Where to next my little miss blue?" he asks.

I look at him. He was glistening with sweat and his head was tilted upwards, his panting barely audible, chest rising and falling. How can I be so scared of this creature? Was running in my mind when he opened one of his eyes and took a peak at me. "Falling for me already?" he asks arrogantly. I just scoff.

 

"I already picked the rides earlier, your turn." I regretted the words right after I saw how mischievous his smile and eyes were. Ayayay. Wrong move.

 

Minutes later I found myself in front of a huge death trap that consisted of loops, steep falls and cries of the poor victims who were either stupid enough to ride in their own will or were forced to. I gulp, then my hairs stand on its ends when he s his arms around my waist then whispers "No need to be scared my little miss blue, I'm here." then bites my ear. I pull away from him.

 

"Wh-wh-who's scared? H-huh?" I stutter. He just laughs. Minutes after, I find myself strapped in the very first coaster, the rails taunting me. I was shaking. I close my eyes then think "You cannot live in fear." over and over again. I assume that he notices it because right before the ride started he firmly grabbed my hands. I close my eyes, I'm gonna die. Everything becomes a blur of shouts, cries and hands put up but to my surprise, I enjoyed it. I joined their shouts and cries.

 

After the ride I was a little dizzy and woozy but we continued anyway, precious time can't be wasted after all.

 

 

"Absolutely Not! No! I'm not going in there with you, you go by yourself. I'll just wait for you at the exit." I stomp my foot.

 

We were in front if the haunted house, I didn't want to go in. No wayyyy.

 

"Oh come on, and here I thought you were brave." he says. The line was already long and the operator came to us.

 

"Sir, Miss are you going in?"

 

"Yes" he answers at the same time I answered "No" he shrugs then carries me over his shoulder. I kick and squirm.

 

"Nooooo. Let me down, you mongrol." I hit him 

 

"I'll only put you down if you promise to go in with Me." he says. Ughhhhh. I cross my arms.

 

"Fineeee. Just put me down." I sigh defeated. He put me down and we go toward the darkness.

 

I couldn't see anything, I kept him at a distance when we walked in but I wanted him close now. I extend my arms to feel my way through when someone blew on my ear. I shriek then the perpetuator laughs, it was him. I hit him but stay close, the scares were starting and I couldn't help my reaction. I shut my eyes and clung to him for dear life.

 

After the ride, my heart was beating fast, my breath was heavy and my head was throbbing. Never again will I go through a haunted house.

 

"I'm gonna pick the next ride." I say, walking towards a ride that was like a wild river. When he saw where I was walking to he asked me "Do you have extra clothes?"

 

"Uhmmm. No." I laugh.

 

And after the ride we were both wet, since we didn't have any extra clothes we needed to dry off. I was distracted by the way his wet shirt clung to his toned body. We needed to get try. We rode 'Anchor's Away' until our clothes were dry, my stomach was churning. It was already 6:30pm and we were kind of tired to go on rides, we all tried it anyway, so we grabbed dinner and went in the arcade inside the amusement park instead.

 

"Awwww, come on. This game is rigged." he says, after I defeated him in guitar hero for the umpteenth time.

 

"Just accept the fact that I'm better than you." I grin, placing the guitar back in its place.

 

After playing for I don't know how long, we've already played time crisis, basketball and everything they have it was already 11:30pm, it was already dark and when he saw the time he suddenly pulled me and we stood in line for the Ferris wheel.

 

"Getting sentimental are we?" I tell him, raising an eyebrow.

 

"You can't leave an amusement park without riding the Ferris wheel." he answers, flashing me his smile.

 

I'm scared of heights but I could control it, just as long as I close my eyes. Our time came and we were ushered in, it was already moving, still getting passengers then we stopped in the highest part.

 

I gulp and close my eyes, I felt the wind and it caused our cart to sway, I'm getting dizzy.

 

"Keep your eyes closed." he says.

"I won't open my eyes until we're back on the ground." I answer firmly.

I feel the cart sway more, he was getting close to me and I suddenly felt a cold chain placed on my neck. He was putting a necklace on me, I touch the pendant. I couldn't decipher the design. After hooking it, he kissed me on the cheek and whispered. "Thank you for this day, I'll never forget it."

 

After the ride was over I looked at the necklace hanging on my neck, it had a silver circle with a crescent moon in the center that could be spun. I was dumbfounded; I couldn't speak for a moment.

 

"I-I can't accept this." I tell him, getting ready to remove it but he stops me and smiles, gentle and kind. "Please." is all he says.

 

We walk home in silence, reality catching up to me. We were already in the Han River when I stopped and face him.

 

"This day has been one of the best days of my life. I've laughed again after the longest time and I felt free. I want to thank you but... This day isn't part of reality. It's between reality and imagination, a space that must not even exist. Today, we forgot everything and anyone that has to do anything with reality. We dropped our facades but we can't keep on forgetting about reality, because it's what's real. I'm going to forget about today and I suggest you do the same. It's for the best, for the both of us." I say, trying to hold back tears I shouldn't even be having then I walked away, leaving him where it all started.

 

I didn't want to forget, I didn't want to leave, I didn't want to walk away but I needed to and I did. I owe it to myself; I can't let my feelings go out of control, I can't let myself get hurt. I must protect myself.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOUBLE UPDATE. wehoooo. That's done. :))) Hope you guys like it! ;)

xoxoxo Kyon Seul