Chapter 1: As good as dead

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 1XOXO

-As good as dead-

*Hye-Kung POV*

As I was walking through the streets of Seoul I think of the past few years, I’ve been living in Seoul for quite some time, 2 years, and I now know how to speak Hangeul. It was hard at first but I grew accustomed to it, I even have friends here, though more often than I’d like, I miss my old friends. Ughhh. Stahp it Hye-Kung! Fighting! I mentally cheer myself up. I put a smile on my face as I approach my work place. I greet the receptionist and got in the elevator to make my way to the 8th floor.

I’m working as a feature writer for a magazine, I’ve only been here for 3 weeks but I love it. I get to cover really fun and exciting events then write about it and I’m also responsible for the photography section of the feature team. I know I’m a newbie but hey! I’ve got a lot of experience and practice.

As I got out of the elevator I heard the morning routine. EXO! EXO! EXO! The shouts and squeals of the EXOtics fill the air yet again, even though I’m already at the 8th floor I can still hear them. The fact that the place where I work in is near the building of sment is unfortunate, because every day I hear their cries and know that there is a very small chance of them actually being heard and acknowledged. (personally)

I don’t have anything against fans, I was a fan once too.

I remember my first year in Seoul, I would wait outside that building the whole day just to get a glimpse of them even if it meant that I have to endure the harsh weather, even if I know he won't look at me… I was brought back to the present by an angry booming voice coming from the conference room.

I looked at my watch; it read 8:45am. My eyes grew wide. “FUDGE” I dashed to the conference room and was greeted by a very angry Lee Kyun.

“YAH! HAN HYE KUNG! YOU’RE LATE AGAIN?! KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU’RE JUST A NEWBIE AND I CAN REPLACE YOU ANYTIME.” He shouted, face red with irritation.

“Mianhae” I say while making my way to the seat.

“YAH! HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME CASUALLY?!” Lee Kyun shouted again.

I flinch “Jondaetmal” I correct myself. Tch. Shouldn’t he be happy? This time I was only 45 minutes late, compare it with being late for 2 hours.

I sat down in my chair; actually I was late for 2 hours last time because I lived so far from the office ( a city away- because I couldn't afford a room in Seoul, so I obviously couldn't live there at the time), so they offered me a solution. They gave me a condo near the office but I don't own it- yet- I would have to stay with the company for at least a year for the condo to be mine. Tch. Stingy fellows, if you give someone a condo give it to them wholeheartedly. I can't blame them though, it's business.

The reason why I was late today was another story, I was out drinking until late last night with a couple of friends and I arrived at my place at about 3 in the morning.......... so this is the exact reason why the moment I sat down the chair I dozed off to dreamland.

I was dreaming about beef, soju and laughing when a violent shaking and a loud voice in my ear woke me up “YAH! WAKE UP! HYE KYUNG UNNI!” I opened my eyes and found that the one who woke me up was Kang Eun Sang my assistant ( in a way). I was about to yell at her to go away when I realized that I was still in the conference room and everyone’s eyes were on me.

I hurriedly sat down and tried to wake up and compose myself fully.

Lee Kyun had an evil glimmer in his eyes and smirked. “Your new assignment is to know the daily life of EXO while they’re training and filming for their new album release.” He told me.

FUDGIN GUMBALLS. My eyes widened and I went stiff.  He knew I would have a hard time with this one and if what he said previously wasn’t enough “and if you fail to do this, you’re fired. Oh and one more fact, sment didn’t give us permission to cover the event.” Then he finished the meeting.

I sat in my chair, frozen. I’m gonna lose my job. Eun Sang shook me “Unni. Yah, Unni.” She said with concerned eyes. I wasn’t a veteran here but Eun Sang knew my story, she’s like my sister but with a more mature stand on life.

I woke up from my reverie and stood up.

“How am I gonna do this?” I asked her, pacing back and forth inside the now empty conference room.

"Yah, Unni. Don't be so nervous and stop biting your lip" She looked at me and beamed. “You’re gonna do this job just like the rest, fast and clean. Fighting Unni!.” I smiled, though it doesn't quite reach my eyes. I was still worried and I can't stop it.

After the meeting we were allowed to take lunch, Eun and I went to a nearby vendor. We ate the usual (beef, kimchi and ricecakes), we’re always here anyway, and we talked about the job.

“How will I even get inside sment? The security there is tight.” I asked Eun while I scrunched my forehead.

“You can always let your badass side show Unni. You can do the thing you did when we first met. Transform to spider-woman, just for this job” She laughed then winked.

I smirked, this girl remembered everything.

The first time we met, I was trying to break in my own apartment because I forgot my keys inside - hooray for the very bright me-  She saw me and thought I was a burglar and reported me to the police but the police never caught me. Kekekeke. No one ever catches me except if I wanted to be caught.

This was back when I still wasn't in seoul, because of this we knew each other and eventually became friends, Eun Sang was one of the few girls who clicked with me then she followed me here.

The next day, I woke up early and scouted the area (the sment building- it wasn't much of an area, really) , March just started so it was still a little cold. I scouted the area for the next two days too (just to get the cycle of the security) and on the 4th day I decided to take action. Hehehehe. Wait for me Exo, I’ll show my boss that I can do this. You see, part of my job is being sneaky and accurate and I'm scarily good at it.

The past few days that I’ve been scouting, I noticed a side entrance and proceeded there. There was still a guard but he went for a smoke. Heaven is with me on this one.  Hehehehehe,wrong move ahjussi I mentally said.

I moved fast, I was a track varsity back in college (so I run quietly and quite fast, this really helped a lot in my job), then went for the fire exit ladder. I found an open window then slipped through there. Luckily there was no one around so I got my camera at the ready and walked straight until I saw the cutest dog I have ever seen come out of one of the rooms, It had curly brown hair and a very very cute nose.

“Omo, what a cute dog you are.” I whispered.

I think it heard me because it looked at me then ran towards me. I couldn’t help it, I love dogs especially if they were friendly but this particular dog seemed to like me very much. I was petting it, mumbling about how cute she was when Kim Jongin went out of the room “Mong….” He stopped midword when he saw me. He just stood there frozen.

I scanned him very fast, he hasn't changed that much except for the unbiased fact that he looked more appealing (if that's even humanely possible) than he did 5 years ago.

I didn’t know what got to me, I didn’t know why I did what I did next. Maybe it was my badass side creeping up on the surface without me knowing or maybe it was because I was hungry for a new thrill in my life. I don't know why but I put my pointing finger to my lips, a shhh sign, winked at him then ran for the hills.

It was already too late and I already got out when I realized that while I pulled my little stunt, I dropped something that could alter everything. My I.D. -the only thing where my legal name is stated-

I gave myself the facepalm that I deserve. I’m as good as dead, I thought to myself.

*Kai POV*

It was like this every day, Fans shouting, trying to hold us and at times pushing us. It was irritating sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I love our fans but there was no need to be aggressive. We have so much on our plate, so much to do, training, fan service and other stuff. We were all exhausted then some fans push us, then when worse things happen we get injured. I mean come on; can’t you guys be gentler? That’s why I like gentle women. Women who have poise and grace.

I was looking through the window, not really looking at anything or at anyone, just staring off into space when someone caught my eye, someone suspicious; not the scary or bad kind of suspicious, she was suspicious because she just scouted the area. No posters, No merchandise of any kind, not shouting. One thing’s for sure, she wasn’t here as a fan and she didn’t want to be seen or noticed, unlike the others who wore a ton of make-up and pretty dresses she wore a cap (so I couldn’t see her full face), skinny pants, boots, scarf, gloves and coat. Just the normal look.  Yes, I could see every little detail from here because there was something..... different about her.

How did I know that she was a girl? Maybe by the slight curve of her waist, by the way she swings her hips and by the tendrils of her dark brown hair. What can I say, I’m observant to these kind of things. but there was something pulling me to this specific girl I didn’t know what it was maybe it was the way her hips swings in perfect harmony with the beating of my own heart, who knows? Wow, that was a really romantic yet erted thought. -.-"

“Yah! Who are you staring at?” Baekhyun Hyung shoved me a little to the side to see who I was looking at. “Aigoo. Is it the girl with a cap? Our Jongin is growing up and he has good taste.” He made approving gestures then shouted to the group then pinched my cheeks. He then stole my favourite cap then ran around the room with it, I ran after him then Of course I caught him. These guys are can really be such kids sometimes but that's what makes it fun. I smirked.

After the schedule we were all dead tired, so I just tidied up a little bit, changed my clothes then went to bed. I was too tired to eat. Not long after I lied down, sleep conquered me.

I could tell that I was in the beach by the sounds of the waves crashing to the shore, the way the grains of sand slightly touched my probably hanging arms and by the way the sun bit my shirtless body. Jongin-ah, a playful yet gentle voice called. I stood up then I felt myself smile, I recognize the girl as the girl from earlier. I wasn't sure how, I just knew. Her summer hat covered half of her face and she wore one of my polo shirts as a cover-up from her blue bikini. She was holding a camera and she started taking pictures of me, I walk towards her but she starts running away. I fasten my pace, when I finally reach her I put my arms around her and breathe in her strawberry scent. I feel myself detach from my body, I look around only to see my dreamself smiling like I never have before...

I woke with a jolt from the weird dream that I had, It was still dark and I was sweating more than usual. I reach for my phone and check the time, it read 3:45am. I went out of the room carefully and got myself a glass of water. I stayed awake after that, thinking of how real every sensation felt, of how I actually felt her hair on my fingers and how I actually smelled her scent. Who are you? is the question that kept on bugging me until the sun rose up.

This went on every time I slept, not exactly the same dream. The settings would change, the weather, place.. but two things were constant. HER AND MY SMILE.

I didn’t know why I always dream about her, it’s not even like I was thinking about her, she just crossed my mind from time to time. The most confusing part is, every time I dream about her I always wake up with my eyes wet, like I cried but I don’t really remember crying. This was getting frustrating, dreaming about a girl I didn’t know and who I couldn’t even have any way of getting in contact with. This has to stop.

2 days after the incident, Monggu was hyper and didn’t want to stay and sit. I was about to put him in his cage when he went out the room and I  let him be for a while until I heard a cooing sound. Who was that?

I went out of the room and saw the girl from the window 3 days ago, Ms Dream Catcher (I’ve started to call her) what was she doing here? I can’t help but to stand there frozen and notice how beautiful she was up close, I already knew she was pretty but damn.

Her eyes were the shape of Chestnut, they were dark brown and they glittered with excitement or fear I can't quite tell, her skin was fair and she didn’t have any make-up on just lip tint.  I was about to ask her what her business was here but then she placed a finger on her lips, made the “be quiet” sign, winked at me then ran away.

I was stunned, that was a first. I was so accustomed to girls trying to take a picture of me and getting close to me but she didn’t do either one and I was shocked to notice how her lips looked liked lightly pressed against her finger, how her lips in general DEMANDED my attention and what’s more, Monggu seemed to like her so much - which was weird since Monggu was only close to the people I was close with.

 I was walking back to our room when I stepped on something. I bent to pick it up with my left hand since I was holding Moggu with my right, I smirked when I saw what it was and Monggu barked - even if it's only her picture she still earned the attetion of Monggu-  It was her I.D. and it read "Lim Kyon Rae", hmmm.

That has a nice ring to it. I can’t shake the feeling that I’ve seen her somewhere before, not from the window but somewhere else, sometime earlier. I went to Mr Hyung, our manager and asked about her, He told me that sment didn’t give permission to the company she’s working in to cover our trainings and the event so I went to figure out why.

I went directly to Mr Soo Man and asked him about it, he told me that it would bring no benefit to the company at all so why waste time? I didn't know why I did what I did but I made a compromise.

“At least try and see. If the 1st week of the cover doesn’t bring any benefit then we can say at least we tried but if it does bring benefit then I would like you to permit us to date earlier than when our contract permits us to do so”

I don't even have someone I like, my body just acted on its own and I didn't know why.  Mr. Soo Man, looked at me like I was pathetic and he agreed. I think it was because he was sure that there would be no benefit. Then he said "But if after a week it does not bring any kind of benefit at all, then I'll be in charge of who you're going to date and I'll announce it publicly." he raised an eyebrow questioningly, I felt my jaw tighten in digust and I just nodded. Like I'll ever let that happen. I asked him to keep our conversation about this a secret to everyone and he obliged.

He didn’t know I was going to help  Ms Rae in fulfilling what was needed for me to win the compromise, and I'm going to help her not only because I have my own agenda but because I confusingly felt compelled and obliged to...

I might know when and where I saw her first, though I'm not quite sure. I'm sure about one thing though,

I’m not going to let you out of my sight again, Ms Rae.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I reread my work and found it boring, so I revised it in the hopes that it is less crappy and won't be a waste of your precious time. :)) So that's done, Tell me what you think!

xoxoxo Kyon Seul