Chapter 24: Moments

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 24XOXO

-Moments-

 

*Hye Kyung's POV*

 

It was dark, the only light came from the white colored light sticks that the fans waved around; anticipation could be scooped up and eaten.

 

I was setting up cameras at the side and smile. A few minutes before I was with the guys back stage, all of them were nervous but I told them there was no need to be, there really isn't. I know they're going to be brilliant.

 

I stretched then sat down on a nearby stool, they would start after 10 minutes and I'm not planning to just stand. I close my eyes and let my mind wander, earlier Mr. Soo Man told me about the new arrangement; instead of me covering them just up until their comeback, I'll be covering them until after their world tour; until the ruckus dies down.

 

It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm afraid that if I spend time with them -him- much longer, I'd fall deeper and that's a plunge I'm not quite sure I'm ready to take. Kai's a great guy but what if? I chuckle at the thought, I've had so many what ifs in my life and I don't want this to be one of them.

 

Just in time, the lights on the stage flick on and the start of their new song booms out from the speakers. The fans go wild with excitement and I jump up from my seat, checking the cameras. I didn't take my eyes away from them, not one second; I needed to write this all down later -in full detail- so I can't miss any of it.

 

When their performance ended, I was out of breath from all the yelling I didn't even know I was doing but something more shocking happened. Just as their performance ended Kai stepped down on the stage and made his way to me; He grabs me by the waist, hugs me tight, looks at me then kisses my forehead.

 

When he did that I remembered a line from a book I once read, The Perks of being a wallflower, "and in that moment, I swear, we were infinite."

 

************

 

I should've known. I'm a journalist so I should've known better but at the time, I didn't. I rub my temples and sigh; it’s a Sunday and yet I feel like I've done everything wrong.

 

I scroll down to the pictures that were posted just seconds after everything happened, Manager Hyung is furious. He's been calming himself but I can feel his blood boiling, the way he looks at me is telling me that I should run for the hills but instead, I just stayed. Rooted on my seat.

 

I've muted Manager Hyung's voice for a while now. My head was throbbing painfully and my eyes can't seem to register the pictures that have gone viral but most especially, my mind can't wrap around the fact that I was so stupid.

 

//Scroll//

 

A picture of Kai looking down at me.

 

//Scroll//

 

A picture of him grabbing me by the waist and placing a kiss on my forehead.

 

With this picture I couldn't help but read the comments.

 

"Who the hell is she?"

"Get her off Kai!"

"She's fugly!"

 

I flinch when I read one comment.

 

"That b*tch! Who does she think she is? Kai is for everyone, to think that she's hogging him all for herself. Ughh. She's not even pretty."

 

I close the laptop and sigh. Kai holds my hand and I jerk away; I look up to see that Manager Hyung is already gone and I look back at Kai to see that he's worried.

 

"I'm sorry." I say, standing up and clutching the laptop to my chest. "I didn't know you were there."

 

"It's fine. They should know anyway." He says. He was about to hug me when I moved away from him.

 

"This is serious Kai. I could ruin everything you've been working for and I can't live with that." I tell him, keeping my distance.

 

He sighs and nods. I headed for my room and before I closed the door he told me something.

 

"We need to talk tomorrow, would the coffee shop be good? At about 5pm?" he asks, his hand hovering over his neck before he decided to let it fall.

 

What do we need to talk about? It must be important, he looks nervous. I just nod.

 

*Kai's POV*

 

It's been a month since I made that compromise with Dong Mi so here we are, at the coffee shop, just as we agreed. It's judgment day.

 

Dong Mi hasn't arrived yet and I enjoyed being with Hye Kyung alone. I didn't think about how everything could be changed when she says her decision, not until the bell rang and Dong Mi came in. I started to fidget, my smile formed a straight line and I went stiff.

 

"Dong Mi." I bow and he does the same. Hye Kyung stands up and hugs him, I flinch. I know it's a force of habit but still. I watch Dong Mi wrap his arms around her and squeeze.

 

When we sit Hye Kyung realizes that something's different.

 

"I thought we were going to eat, just the two of us? Why is Dong Mi here? What's happening?" she asks, looking directly at me.

 

"Can we eat first?" Dong Mi says before I could explain.

 

"Yeah. Let's eat first." I say, taking her hand and squeezing it.

 

We order and eat. After finishing our food and halfhearted conversations, I notice that Hye Kyung was wearing the necklace I gave her.

 

"You're wearing it." I say, not being able to hide my smile. She instinctively touches the pendant and blushes.

 

"I always wear it, I just hide it under my clothes that’s all." she shrugs. "So boys, why are we here? Really?' she says, raising an eyebrow.

 

"I know you don't like beating around the bush so here it is. You need to choose between us Rae. We can't always be unsure of our place." Dong Mi says bluntly.

 

For a few minutes she was silent, just staring out the window. I couldn't read her face and I hear my heart thumping against my rib cage.

 

"Why do I need to choose Dong Mi? You know that..." she didn't get to finish before Dong Mi speaks, jaw clenched.

 

"Just choose." he almost yells.

 

"Dong Mi, I... You know me." she says, trying to reason with him bit he just wouldn't budge.

 

"You need to choose Rae." he says, his voice seemingly reverberating through the whole coffee shop.

 

"I can't lose you Dong Mi." she whispers, a tear rolling down her cheek.

 

I gulp, I should've known. I didn't have a chance from the very start. Who was I kidding? She's known Dong Mi since high school and she's known me not too long ago.

 

I stand up and force myself to smile. I bid them good bye and made sure that I don't look in her eyes; those deep brown eyes that pulled me in. Then I leave.

 

*********

 

It's been two days since she picked Dong Mi and I won't sugarcoat anything. We were awkward, I didn't want it to be but neither of us could help it besides, I lost.

 

We have been avoiding each other's eyes and we didn't engage in conversation that much, only when it's necessary.

 

My phone beeps and I scoff when I see who messaged me.

 

"We need to talk. Coffee shop, 8pm. -Dong Mi"

 

What does he want to talk about? Does he want to rub in my face? But even though this is what's running through my mind I still find myself inside the coffee shop by 8 pm.

 

I was taking a sip of my coffee when he sat down.

 

"She doesn't love me." were the first words out of his mouth. I almost choked on my drink.

 

"What?" I ask him.

 

"Let's get this straight. I knew she'd pick me, I just couldn't stop hoping that maybe she'll feel the same way I do. -He shakes his head- but she never did and now I can't do anything but hand her over... To the guy who'll make her the happiest." he says, looking at me.

 

"What happened exactly, for you to say this?" I ask. I wasn't complaining but something must've happened. He's been pursuing her for years and he'll just give up now? Why?

 

"I asked her why she picked me. I didn't know what I expected but to cut the long story short, she just sees me as a friend. She always has and always will." he says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

 

I didn't know what to say, what could I? 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Soooooo, what you guys think? :))))
 

xoxoxo Kyon Seul