Chapter 11: Duck and Hide

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 11XOXO

-Duck and Hide-

*Hye Kyung's POV*

 

I woke up especially early since I didn't want to spoil anything. The sun still hadn't risen and I was still sleepy, I only had three hours of sleep but I was used to it and besides Xiumin's surprise depended on this. It's an advantage that I have a friend who owns a bakery and someone who can help me with the plan, good thing they owe me favors.

 

I texted my friend last night and told her what I wanted to be done. I ordered a plain chiffon cake with 12 guy marzipans as a design, a wooden sign of SMent on the side, a picture of his family on the other and some little details on it that made it look like a 6 year old child's birthday cake. I smile, this is perfect. I didn't want him to feel older just because he gets to spend another year alive; it's about fun, about being childish but being more mature at the same time. I schedule it to be picked up at around 7 pm the next day since their schedule is up to 6:30 and it would take exactly half an hour to pick it up and go back to the dorm.

 

It was only 6:00 in the morning but I was already knocking on Tae In's door, one acquaintance of mine that would help me with the plan. I've been knocking for 10 minutes but he still hasn't opened the door; I texted him last night and he agreed. What now? I need to go back before 8:30. Ughhh. I was about to call him when the door shuffled and he appeared; Half asleep, he tells me to come inside and to wait. Five minutes later, he was awake enough to discuss with me.

 

"I'm sorry." I mumble. He just smiles and asks me what I needed. I told him I needed 2 baozi mascots and one tarpaulin. What I had planned was simple but I think it’ll make him happy and that's what is most important.

 

After that I hurry back to the dorms and act like I just woke up. As usual their schedule was full and I make sure to tell everyone else about the plan.

 

I didn't know what it was about this day but I feel like I'm forgetting something. I scratch my head, trying to remember when my phone beeps. It was a text from Dong Mi.

 

"Still on for tonight?" -D

 

My eyes grow wide. So that was what I needed to remember! I bite my lip and text him back.

 

"Sorry Dong Mi! I can't, I'm really busy and Xiumin's birthday is coming up. I'll beep you when I have time to breathe. K? Sorry. -H"

 

I fiddle with my fingers. I know I haven't been keeping in touch like I promised but I don't choose to neglect him, the circumstances just don’t work with us. I shove it at the back of my mind; I should just focus on more simple matters like work.

 

The sun was at its peak and we were all sweaty, they were shooting for another commercial that's supposed to feature a refreshing drink. It was the 5th in our schedule and only half of the boys knew about what's supposed to happen tomorrow. I'm having a hard time telling everyone else; first is because Xiumin is always roaming around and second I also needed to cover them. I wipe my forehead, I feel so sticky. Why is it so hot? It's not even summer yet. I remove my polo and wipe my neck, good thing I wore a nice spaghetti strap underneath. I feel so free.

 

Minutes later they had a break and I seized the opportunity to tell the others. I was talking to Chen when someone draped a jacket on my shoulders.

 

"Girls shouldn't show too much skin, especially if they're surrounded by guys." He says, I turn around to see Kai drinking from his water bottle.

 

"Well thank you Mr. Chivalrous but haven't you heard? I'm not a full breed girl and besides I know you guys, you don't think of me that way." I answer, handing him back the jacket. He pushes it to me saying.

 

"Please? We're not the only ones here. We might not think of anything but they could be." he says, gesturing to the group of boys in the corner.

 

"But the sun is scalding me." I whine. Then pause to think. I smile.

"I have a thin cardigan in the van, would you get it for me? I still need to shoot some things. It's just draped in the seat at the back." I say.

 

He smiles. "Sure."

 

*Kai's POV*

 

It's hot but it doesn't mean she should suddenly strip, especially since she's gained the attention of some staff the moment we came. I was walking towards the van when I heard something that made my blood boil.

 

"She's a sight that photographer, what's her name?" a guy asked.

 

"Han Hye Kyung I think? She has a nice body too." another one answers then whistles.

 

"Nice smile, nice laugh, she seems to be kind. I talked to her once and she'd make a nice notch in my bed." then they all laugh.

 

"I'm going to invite her to eat after this. Who knows maybe we can go for dessert after." I hear them clap each other's hands and I wanted to throw something at them but that could make a scandal. I grit my teeth and keep walking. I knew she shouldn't have done that. After getting her cardigan, I speed walk to where she is only to see her surrounded by the male staff and she was laughing. Really? Doesn't this girl have instincts or intuition?

 

"Hye Kyung!" I shout. The guys turn around and scatter once they see me and I protectively drape the cardigan over her.

 

"Don't you sense anything? At all?" I ask, trying to hard my irritation. If looks could kill, they would be double dead by now.

 

She looks at me with a confused expression and I wanted to shake her into reality. "Not everyone who's nice to you is kind; they could have other agendas too." I wanted to yell at her but I didn't. Then when I was about to leave her she suddenly says

"Of course I know. I'm not stupid but that doesn't mean I should be rude does it?" She asks and I can hear genuine wonder in her voice. I just continue to walk, that's up for her to decide.

 

I walk to where Kris is and tell him what I heard. At first there were only two of us but then Suho, Chanyeol and Baekhyun came and we wanted those guys to know that they couldn't and shouldn't even come near Hye Kyung.

 

"Hye Kyung is really nice isn't she?" Chanyeol starts, saying it clearly and loud enough for them to hear.

 

"Yeah. That munchkin is something else. She's seems to be our little princess doesn't she?" Kris follows suit, cracking his knuckles for effect.

 

"She's our little sister too” Baekhyun adds.

 

"If anyone wants to be with her, court her or even go near her with ill intentions that person is in for hell. After all, we're all here to protect her." I say, eyeing the group of guys who seemed to have gone stiff. They should be scared.

 

"Five minutes before we shoot again!" one of the staff shouts. Ughhh. We have been doing this for a while and we're all sticky. 30 more minutes later the shoot was finished and we all went to the next schedule, a variety show. This kind of guesting are what we look forward to the most, minimal amount of pressure and lots of laughs but not today.

 

I couldn't focus on the show, the host's questions and the jokes because all I can see is one of the camera guys talking Hye Kyung up and she seems uncomfortable. The guy couldn't even take a hint, so when we went for a break I abruptly went to her and I didn't even need to ask if she was okay because she grabbed my wrist and pulled me away from everyone else. She looked so irritated that I didn't even try to speak even when we entered a room where a "Strictly employees only" sticker was pasted on the door, I figured there would be no one anyway.

 

When we got in she released my hand and paced back and forth, mumbling things in another language then she looks at me and starts to rant.

 

"That guy has been bugging me every time I'm here. He started when I went to cover SHINee and I thought he was just friendly but every time I come he doesn't stop. I already told him that I didn't like him in any way but he still continues like nothing happened. He's been very touchy today, trying to feel me up and all that stopped me from hitting him was you guys. I didn't want to ruin your shoot." She finishes, sighing loudly. I was about to comfort her when the door suddenly opens and since we were in a restricted area- not to mention a dark one and we didn't want any scandal- we ducked and hid behind the chairs and quietly sit walked to the small space so we wouldn't be seen.

 

The space was so small that I can smell the shampoo that she uses and I can hear her even breathing, if I leaned just a little bit forward I could kiss her so I refrained from doing so. She was just staring at me and I wonder what she's thinking.

 

"Do you hate me?" I whisper, I don't know why I asked that; I just did. She shakes her head, a small smile gracing her face.

 

"Sometimes I just really need to duck and hide." She answers, standing up and leaving me baffled.

 

I didn't even notice that the people had already left; all I could see, hear and smell that moment was her and nothing else. She managed to leave me confused, yet again.

 

Duck and Hide huh? What is she hiding from? Right now all I can focus on is her answer. She doesn't hate me, she doesn't hate me. It keeps on repeating in my mind like a song that couldn't be erased and I can't help but smile.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hehehehe. Yeap. Tonight is an update frenzy for me. Spread the love! :* 

xoxoxo Kyon Seul