Chapter 9

Forever

 

Author’s POV:

 

“Cheesecake…chocolate...no, vanilla.” Jessica spoke to herself as she kept scrolling down the website page. “Oh, red velvet!”

 

The wife was having trouble deciding what flavor cake she should make. She came up with the wonderful idea of baking a homemade cake from scratch for her husband’s birthday and was even in the process of looking at different types of cakes on the Internet. The only problem was that she was having the hardest time picking which cake she should make.

 

“Fudge cake…” another appealing picture caught Jessica’s eyes, making it another candidate for Kris’ possible birthday cake. “Coffee cake!” she gasped, knowing how much Kris likes his coffee.

 

“Are you still looking at cakes?” Tiffany queried, walking into her best friend’s office.

 

Jessica nodded her head, shoulders deflating at the same time. “I can’t choose.”

 

Knowing her husband didn’t have a personal preference, Jessica found that it made it even more difficult for her. Kris never minded any type of food, as long as it wasn’t fish. It wasn’t until she ran her hand through her hair did it strike her.

 

“Peaches!” she exclaimed all of the sudden whilst clapping her hands together, momentarily startling Tiffany.

 

As Jessica was busily searching for fruit-incorporated cakes, Tiffany decided to go ahead and talk to her married friend. “So when are we going to get started?”

 

“Today is a Thursday, so this weekend. We’re going to have to get ingredients too.” Jessica grinned, still looking for a cake to her liking. “Kris’ birthday is on Monday, so we have to get most of the things done on the weekend.”

 

“That’s if you choose a cake first.” Tiffany laughed. “I’ve told Kai about everything, so he’s going to handle Kris for the weekend, along with the rest of the boys.”

 

Not wanting to make Kris suspicious about the event they’re planning for their birthday, Jessica planned to have Kai and the rest of the boys to get Kris out of the house for the weekend. Then, she and Tiffany can start on the cake and the rest of the food with the soshi girls.

 

Originally, Jessica was just going to have a romantic dinner with just her and Kris, but her decision changed when Chanyeol and Chen decided to storm into her office this morning. The two trolls were excitedly talking about their hyung’s birthday, wondering if there was going to be a party. Jessica then quickly changed her plans and resulted to have a surprise party.

 

“That’s good,” Jessica nodded her head half-heartedly, still skimming through pages of cakes. “Ice cream cake sounds better…”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes playfully at the indecisive Jessica before bidding a quick goodbye and started her way back to her own office right next door.

 


 

 

“Hyung, let’s have a sleepover.”

 

“Sleepover? What are we? Eight-year-olds?” Kris raised his eyebrows in amusement at his co-worker. “Funny.”

 

Kai folded his arms, “I’m being serious. We haven’t been together in a while. It’d be nice to have some time together with just the rest of the boys, wouldn’t it? Come on, it’ll be just like old times.”

 

Placing the pen in his hand down, Kris stopped his work and completely focused on his tanned friend. “Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

Leaning back in his chair, Kris thought for a moment. “Did Tao coordinate this?” he had a feeling that his panda dongsaeng had something to do with this.

 

Kai shook his head, “No.”

 

“Sehunnie?” Kris quizzed, naming the other childish one.

 

“No,” Kai sighed in exasperation. “Why can’t you believe the fact that I thought of this?”

 

Kris suppressed a laugh. “Because you never do these kinds of things.”

 

“Well I am now. So what do you say? Everyone else is up for it.” Kai tried his best to sound persuasive.

 

Dropping his poker face, Kris burst out laughing. “You? Wanting a sleepover?” Kris’ gummy smile was shown. “Kai, this is funny. Just tell me the truth. Who forced you to do this? Tao or Sehun?”

 

Kai frowned, but still kept at his proposition. “No one forced me to do this. I just wanted a get-together with all the guys for the weekend. Why is that hard to believe?”

 

Another set of amused laughing corrupted from Kris. The married man’s face lit up in a cute way, as his cool image was gone. Kai slumped in his seat, patiently waiting for his friend to stop giggling at his get-Kris-out-of-his-own-house plan. If only Kris knew what Kai was actually doing for him and Jessica.

 

When the elder’s tummy-aching laughter died down, Kai spoke up with less patience. “So, are you going or not?”

 

“I have to let Jess know first, then I’ll tell you what will happen.” Kris still had a smile plastered on his face, his hand holding his stomach that was hurting from the excessive amusement he had before.

 

“Cool, hope to see you this weekend then.” Kai got up from his seat and proceeded to walk out of Kris’ office.

 

Watching Kai exit his office, Kris suddenly had the urge to laugh again. “What kind of grown man wants a sleepover?” he chuckled to himself, wiping the tears that were threatening to fall out of his eyes.



 

 

Trailing her way down the stairs, Jessica had just changed into much more comfortable clothing. Making a beeline towards the kitchen, she was going to start on making dinner before Kris finishes his shower.

 

They had just come home from work early and when Jessica was supposed to be focusing on making dinner, she was too busy either paying attention to her phone or staring off into space in deep contemplation.

 

Leaning against the island granite counter, Jessica was busy thinking about what kind of present she should get her husband. She even texted Tiffany for suggestions, but her best friend was taking too long to answer so she had no choice but to rack her brain for the millionth time of the day.

 

What to get Kris for his birthday? It was a question with an impending answer. Jessica had no idea what to get him, considering that he practically has everything he needs.

 

Sighing, Jessica decided that she had the rest of the week to figure that out. Leaving her phone on the counter, she then slipped her wedding ring off her finger and tucked it safely in her front pocket. She never liked to cook with her ring on, as she never wanted to risk the danger of losing it.

 

Jessica proceeded to open the fridge and pulled out a packet of green veggies. Grabbing a big bowl along the way, Jessica placed it in the sink before opening the packet of greens and dumped half of the greens into the bowl before setting the rest aside. Wanting to wash the veggies, she reached her hand over to the faucet and turned it on. When water failed to come out, Jessica switched the handle back and forth with a confused expression.

 

“It was working fine a couple days ago…” she mumbled to herself, recalling the last day she had used the sink.

 

After fiddling with the faucet handle for a moment, she then decided that it was no use and opened the cabinet underneath to see the pipes. Crouching down on the floor, Jessica stared at the pipes in complete blankness. She had no idea when it came to plumbing. Pouting, she then folded her arms and rested them on top of her knees.

 

“What are we looking at?” Kris suddenly spoke aloud, crouching right next to his wife in the same exact way with an amused face.

 

Glancing to her left, Jessica didn’t realize that Kris was done with his shower. “Pipes.” She scrunched her lips, glaring at the underside of the kitchen sink.

 

“And why are we looking at pipes?” Kris smiled, eying his cute wife.

 

“Because it’s their fault that we can’t eat dinner!” Jessica pointed to the pipes with scrunched eyebrows as she faced her husband.

 

This time, Kris let out a chuckle. “Well, I don’t think we’ll be able to fix anything by glaring at the pipes, Jess.”

 

Cupping her cheeks with her hands, Jessica sighed. “I know.”

 

Before Kris could ask why they couldn’t eat dinner, he took note of her left hand and furrowed his eyebrows. “Where’s your ring?” his tone suddenly turned serious.

 

Instinctively, Jessica examined her left hand. “Oh, well since I was going to wash the—”

 

“It fell in the sink?!” Kris was quick to insinuate.

 

Immediately standing up, Kris leaned over and examined the drain of the kitchen sink. Not seeing anything due to the lack of lighting, he rummaged through a drawer and found a flashlight nearby before continuing to eye down the drain.

 

“Kris—”

 

“It wouldn’t have dropped that far down, I’m sure we can still get it somehow.” He interrupted.

 

Jessica stood up behind him with frown, as he wasn’t letting her explain at all. “But—”

 

“Do we have any wire in the house? We could fish it out.” Kris was extremely serious about his ideas.

 

“Wu Yifan! Your wife has something to say!” Jessica shouted, not letting him interject with her words this time.

 

Kris straightened up before turning around to face her with a questioning face, which looked half occupied with his worry about the ring.

 

“My ring is right here,” Jessica took her wedding ring out of her pocket and slipped it back on her finger before showing him her left hand. “It never fell in the sink.”

 

Relief washed over Kris’ face, as the physical representation of their marriage binding was safe and was back on Jessica’s finger. “Then why were you looking at the pipes?”

 

“The faucet isn’t working. Water isn’t coming out.” Jessica blinked, speaking simply. “I can’t make dinner without water.”

 

“Oh,” Kris shrugged before placing the flashlight back in the drawer and began to make his way out of the kitchen.

 

“Where are you going?” Jessica followed him with her eyes.

 

“To get changed.” Kris stopped in his tracks and turned around.

 

Jessica tilted her head, not understanding what her husband was thinking about. “Why?”

 

“So we can head out to dinner instead.”

 

“But what about the sink?”

 

“We can just call a plumber.” Kris spoke with ease. “Let’s go.”

 

Jessica understood and skipped her way to his side with a grin on her face. She found it funny how Kris didn’t put up any ounce of effort to fix the sink, compared to when he thought her wedding ring fell down the drain. Of course, it only proved how serious Kris feels when it came to having his world centered around his Jessica.



 

 

The two decided on a nearby restaurant and settled in quickly. Their food had arrived already and the couple was already conversing about many different topics. Throughout their chatting, Jessica found that Kris didn’t even realize his birthday was nearing in just a mere four days. Regardless, Jessica didn’t hint any bit of information regarding his birthday. She knew her party would be a real surprise for him.

 

“Oh right, I almost forgot,” Kris recalled something.

 

Jessica froze for a nanosecond in her seat before she looked up at him. Did he perhaps remember his birthday now?

 

Kris broke out in a chuckle. “Kai is holding a sleepover over the weekend.” His tried to prevent himself from laughing out loud at the idea.

 

Having her eyes widened, Jessica almost choked on her pasta. “A s-sleepover?” she questioned.

 

Nodding his head, Kris then tried his best to maintain a straight face. Jessica blinked for a moment in an unreadable expression. A split second later, her blank face contorted into an amused expression as she burst out in a fit of giggles. Kris himself had no choice but to laugh along with her.

 

Jessica was grateful that Kai agreed to help her out for Kris’ surprise party by luring Kris out of the house. She was very sure that Kai, being a smart and grown man he is, would come up with a good plan. But hearing his idea of having a sleepover for the first time from her husband, she couldn’t help but think it was one of the most hilarious things ever.

 

“You’re kidding, right?” Jessica managed to ask through her laughter.

 

Kris had a huge smile plastered on his face. “That’s what I said! But he said he was being serious.”

 

The two had another small laughing session before Jessica decided that it wasn’t nice to be laughing at her best friend’s boyfriend, who was trying to help her.

 

“So why is Kai having a sleepover?” Jessica queried, even if she knew what was going on.

 

Kris patted his cheekbones that were hurting from laughing too much. “He just wanted to have a get-together with all the boys together. Apparently we haven’t seen each other in a while and Kai thinks that having a sleepover with twelve grown men is a great idea and ‘will just be like old times.’” He even quoted the said Kai.

 

Jessica nodded her head, “That sounds nice though. We haven’t seen the boys in a while. I think it’ll be great to have a sleepover.”

 

The husband’s ears perked up. “We? Does that mean you’ll come with me?” 

 

“No,” Jessica giggled. “It’s not right for me to be the only girl there. I’m sure I can plan something with Fany and the girls as well.”

 

A frown dropped on Kris’ lips. “But what if I don’t want to go? We can both stay home together.”

 

“Just go. I’m sure it’ll be fun. The boys must miss you too.” Jessica smiled. “Because only real men have sleepovers.” Her grin turned mischievous.

 

Kris gave her a glare for her sarcasm. “Maybe I’ll just stay home for the weekend then.” 

 



{Author's Note}: This was more of a filler chapter. Guys. Guys. Guys...EXO's Growl. @_@ Kris' haaairrr! The man is too perfect. Killing me softly on the inside. Sigh~ Thanks to those who never fail to comment every single update! ^^ It makes me really motivated to write and it just makes my day. :3

Thank you for the upvote! ^^ 
Yumikochan