Chapter 52

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Jessica’s Pregnancy Calendar – Week 16

 

Three nights. Three nights. It’s been three nights, tonight counting the fourth. The sleepless nights, the tiring stress, the agitation. Anger was slowly rising, only to be suppressed. Kris can’t do this anymore. He can’t do this. He just can’t. He has to do something. He can’t take it anymore.

 

Grabbing his sleeping wife’s wrist, he tried to slowly turn her away from the pillow. Jessica only retracted and turned back to her original position. Kris sighed out and tried again. His wife still did not cooperate. This time, he groaned in frustration.

 

Kris began to glare at his wife in the dark. He began to question himself, repeating the words over and over again. Why? Why? Why?? Why did I have to buy that for her?!

 

His eyes made their way over to the real enemy: the pregnancy pillow. The wretched pillow that Kris just began to despise ever since he got it for her.

 

Ever since the pregnancy pillow came into the picture, Kris has been pushed aside. Literally. Kris barely had any room to sleep on the bed and worse of all, he can’t even sleep. Not even a wink. The pillow was placed right in the middle of the two of them like a divider. And Kris hates it. Despises it.

 

Because Kris slept on the right side of the bed, it was only obvious that Jessica slept on the left side. Being the case every single night, Jessica was accustomed to sleeping on the left side of her body while being in Kris’ arms. Now that the pregnancy pillow appeared, it technically took Kris’ place.

 

Just when Kris thought he found the solution to this big dilemma, he was wrong. The man has tried it all. Kris had tried to negotiate with Jessica, asking her to put the pillow on the other side of the bed. She did, but it made Jessica feel awkward and be unable to sleep. Finding another option, Kris decided to scoot himself into Jessica’s side of the bed and cuddle her from behind. Jessica was asleep during the time he decided to make the switch and as soon as she shifted in her sleep, Kris was literally shoved out of bed and slammed onto the floor. It was safe to say that Kris was never going to try that ever again, in respect to his hips that landed gingerly on the floor. He resorted to stealing the pillow and hiding it somewhere that Jessica wouldn’t know, but he was quickly caught in the process of doing so. Jessica was against the fact of taking away the pillow because according to the pregnancy app (that he just so happened to get her), it’s better for pregnant women to sleep on their left side for better circulation. Oh, the hardships.

 

So here lies Kris, in deep concentration as he stares at the pillow in hatred. Was the pillow that comfy? That comfortable that Jessica is unwilling to have the pillow taken away? Was the pillow that important? Gosh, does Kris really regret ordering that pillow. Ugh.

 

Not wanting to have another sleepless night, Kris decided to take action. This is for the sake of his sleep and his pride. He can’t lose to a stupid pillow. Jessica loves him more than the pillow. The pillow can go.

 

Grabbing the pregnancy pillow, Kris tried to yank it out away from his wife. Jessica was clinging onto the plush pillow like a koala, making it almost impossible for him to steal it. Trying to move his wife away from the pillow so he wouldn’t have to hurt her, Kris safely pinned her on her back.

 

Stirring awake, Jessica plucked open her eyes a mere centimeter. “Kris…what are you doing?” she sounded completely sleepy as she caught Kris in the middle of his act.

 

Kris only sat there with the pregnancy pillow in hand. He felt guilty that he woke her up, but hey, the pillow just has to go. Just when he was about to plea his case, his wife already spoke up for him.

 

“The pillow is not going.” Her voice was filled with finality. “Don’t you dare take it away, Kris.” She was dead serious.

 

Perhaps it was the tone of her voice or perhaps it was because Kris was scared to see the real meaning behind those words. The husband didn’t want to see the wrath of his wife’s pregnancy hormones. Not now and surely not at a time like this.

 

Trying to show his apologies, Kris wanted to give her a kiss. As soon as he leaned in, Jessica only pushed him away and took her pillow back. She immediately began to get comfortable again and closed her eyes.

 

“Try to take my pillow away again and I’ll kill you.” Jessica replied grumpily, not feeling happy since she was awakened.

 

Kris only sat there and gaped at his wife. His wife did not just choose the pillow over him.

 


 

 

Sitting there with a grumpy expression, Jessica wasn’t in the best mood. For some reason today, she wasn’t feeling like her normal self. Maybe it was because she was woken up in the middle of the night. She still couldn’t even put a finger on it, but she knew she felt cranky and was easily irritable. Must be the pregnancy hormones, she told herself.

 

The day was already extremely difficult for Kris. He felt as if he was walking on thin ice. Jessica just wasn’t having anything today. Sure, he felt cranky as well, for not getting his sleep last night, but seeing Jessica in this type of mood surely woke him up. This was a first for his wife to act like this for more than a few joking seconds. Every time Kris tried to revert things back to normal and start a normal conversation, Jessica just replied straightforwardly and sometimes even angrily. He just couldn’t figure her out today.

 

Now sitting in the living room, the two were silently watching television. Silence. That’s all that’s been in the atmosphere around them ever since they woke up.

 

“I think I should wear a looser shirt.” Jessica rubbed her tummy. “This shirt makes me look bigger.”

 

Kris glanced down at her. “It’s fine to me. Everyone could tell you’re going to be a soon-to-be mommy.”

 

Jessica looked up at him with sharp eyes. “What’s that supposed to mean?” her words took Kris by surprise. “Were you trying to say something?”

 

“I wasn’t.” Kris replied in defense. “I was just saying that…” he couldn’t find the right words to explain what he meant.

 

Jessica only kept her intimidating glare at him. “What were you trying to say?”

 

“Nothing,” Kris responded calmly. “Nothing bad. Just thinking that pregnancy is a good thing.” He gave her a small grin, trying lightening things up.

 

Jessica only gave out an angry sigh and tore her eyes away from him. Kris could see that she was agitated and provoked. Oh man, the hormones are raging today. The room became silent again, with the exception of the television playing. Jessica didn’t seem affected at all by the awkward tension, whereas Kris was trying to play it cool with a poker face when he was actually…afraid. Yes, Kris was actually afraid of his wife at the moment.

 

“…Did you watch this drama yet?” Kris tried to start a conversation with his wife again.

 

“How should I know?” Jessica responded in an agitated manner, sighing out and examining the ends of her hair. She hasn’t been looking at the screen at all.

 

Kris fell silent again and slumped back in his seat. The hormones were definitely not on his side today. Come to think of it, Jessica has been like this ever since he woke her up last night. Was that why she was acting this way?

 

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?” Kris picked up the courage and asked her seriously while facing her.

 

Jessica only gave him the same eye contact. “Nothing is wrong. I’m fine.” She blinked at him normally.

 

“Are you sure?” Kris eyed her closely.

 

“Yeah.” Jessica gave him an awkward look. “Why?” she didn’t understand where he got that idea.

 

Kris was about to go into details, but figured he should just drop the topic. Jessica truly looked like she didn’t understand what he meant. It’s the hormones. He internally sighed and blamed it on the side effects of pregnancy.

 

“Do you think I should cut my hair?” Jessica suddenly spoke, examining her hair again.

 

“I think it looks nice.” Kris ran his hand through her hair. “But it’s up to you if you want to cut it. I think it’ll be pretty either way.”

 

Jessica gave him the first smile of the day and Kris immediately relaxed. So this was the kind of safe response he needed to have when Jessica was feeling hormonal. Kris kept a mental note of it, knowing that compliments will go a long way with a pregnant wife.

 

The doorbell rang and Kris immediately stood up to get it. They ordered delivery and they had been expecting it. Thanking the deliveryman, Kris paid him before grabbing the bag of food. The husband went back into the living room and started to take out the boxes of food inside. Jessica only took the lid off the plastic boxes. Everything was going well, until Jessica noticed something.

 

“Where are the pickled radishes?” Jessica scanned all the small side dish boxes and never saw the yellow vegetables.

 

They had ordered a full set meal with jajangmyun. Everything was supposed to be there. Including the pickled radishes.

 

Kris finally noticed as well and even grabbed the thrown plastic bag off the floor. “I guess he forgot it.” There was nothing else in the bag.

 

Jessica let out a long silent whiff of air out of her nose. Her eyes scanned the food on the table and curved unpredictably. Kris only eyed her carefully. He couldn’t figure out what she was thinking or even doing.

 

Kris’s eyes widened in surprise when he saw his wife’s lips quiver and her eyes began to water. “Hey…hey.” He pulled her into a hug. “It’s okay…don’t cry.”

 

“I was looking forward to eating it…” Jessica sniffled, not even realizing what she was being emotional over.

 

“It’s okay, we can get it next time.” Kris comforted her, still shocked by the sudden waterworks.

 

It wasn’t until a minute later did Kris realize what this was all about. Was she really crying over a missing side dish? Oh man, the hormones are just out of whack.

 


 

 

“Are you excited?” Jessica excitedly asked Kris with her happy doe eyes.

 

“You mean for the doctor’s appointment?” Kris fiddled with her fingers that were intertwined with his.

 

Jessica nodded her head. “I’m excited.”

 

Kris chuckled. “Of course I’m excited too. We get to find out the gender today.” He kissed her forehead dotingly.

 

“Your mom texted me this morning.” Jessica mentioned to Kris.

 

“What did she say?”

 

“She told me to tell her the gender as soon as we find out.” Jessica giggled. “I think she’s more excited than we are.”

 

Kris found that ironic. “That’s funny, your mom texted me this morning saying the same thing.” Of course, their mothers were as close as two peas in a pod.

 

“I like how our mother’s don’t text their own children.” Jessica mused sarcastically.

 

“What can I say? They love their in-laws.” Kris joked back accordingly.

 

The couple was waiting in the waiting room, ready to be called in for their checkup. The two had noticed a few other couples expecting their second or third child, as they had toddlers with them. A boy and a girl.

 

Jessica grinned at them and gave them a friendly wave when they looked at her. They looked so cute. The two little kids only curled up and hugged onto their parents. Jessica only smiled at their shyness. It only made her wonder if her baby would do that when he or she grows up.

 

Finally being called in, Kris and Jessica made their way inside and into an examination room. Getting settled on the chair, Jessica was already used to the procedure. Even after a moment of waiting for the doctor, the wife still couldn’t keep her smile down. She couldn’t even stop grinning at Kris. It only made Kris smile back at her. He couldn’t help it.

 

“Someone is super excited.” Kris noted her fidgeting hands.

 

“Just too happy.” Jessica leaned onto the headrest of the cushioned chair and smile cutely.

 

“I know you are.” He pinned their foreheads together. “I am too.” Kris slid his warm hand onto her tummy.

 

The two engaged into a sweet lip lock. The first kiss of the day. Kris was glad that Jessica was feeling better and normal at the moment. A hormonal Jessica is a scary Jessica. It’s been a while and he craved her lips. He deepened the kiss, his tongue probing into .

 

A quick knock at the door sounded before the door swung open without any consent. Doctor Lee cleared his throat awkwardly when he saw that the two were forced to stop their intimate moment. He then gave a small apologetic smile.

 

“Sorry I was a little late.” Donghae occupied himself as he washed his hands.

 

The obstetrician turned around to face a cold looking Kris. Like always. Kris was upset that he walked in at the wrong time, ruining his time with his wife that was more than willing to actually let him kiss her. Kris just hopes Jessica won’t be too hormonal when they go home. Kris doesn’t have a specific reason, but he just hates Donghae.

 

“So, how were you feeling these couple of weeks, Jessica?” Donghae ignored the glare he was receiving from Kris and gave his usual disarming smile towards Jessica.

 

“Great. I’ve been having an appetite lately.” Jessica noted, to which Donghae approved with a happy nod.

 

“Any mood swings or any shift in behavior?” Donghae asked.

 

Jessica thought about it for a second. “A little, but I don’t think it’s anything bad. Just a few little mood swings.”

 

Kris’s eyes widened at the question and wanted to nod his head so much, but he ended up sitting there with a stiff posture. He didn’t want to get on Jessica’s bad side. Jessica didn’t know about her drastic pregnancy hormones.

 

“That’s good. It’s perfectly normal to have mood changes.” Donghae informed. “Your partner should look out for you especially if you’re experiencing these moods.”

 

Jessica glanced at Kris when he said that and smiled. Kris only nodded his head, knowing that he’ll be there through her mood swings, pregnancy hormones and all.

 

Jessica clapped her hands, remembering the most important news. “Blip moved this week!” she let the doctor know with excitement.

 

Donghae’s eyes mirrored her excitement and he grinned. “That’s right, you’re on the sixteenth week. It’s only time your little peanut moved. It’s arms and legs are moving and the nervous system is working now. So in other words, your baby is letting you know that it’s there.” The doctor started to fiddle with his equipment. “How has been your exercise going?”

 

“I’ve been talking more frequent walks now that I’m on maternity leave.” Jessica felt much more at ease with her activeness.

 

“Good.” Donghae pressed a few buttons on his machine. “Exercising improves your blood flow, so keep doing it. Also, if your legs or feet feel achy or sore, just be sure to prop them up frequently and even more supportive leg wear.”

 

Jessica nodded her head, now knowing what to expect for the next couple of weeks.

 

“Alright.” Donghae started to get to business. “So at this point, your baby's fingers and toes are well-defined. His or her eyelids, eyebrows, eyelashes, nails, and hair are formed. Teeth and bones become denser. Your baby can even his or her thumb, yawn, stretch and make faces.” The obstetrician described how their fetus is currently doing. “The baby's reproductive organs and s are now fully developed. Today, we can see on ultrasound if you are having a boy or a girl. You don't have to find out the baby's yet – that's up to you two to decide.”

The couple faced each other and smiled, knowing how they both felt about their baby. Boy or girl, they’ll love it just as much. They want to know the gender and they will be blessed either way if it’s a boy or a girl.

 

“We’d like to know the gender.” Kris made the decision after confirming with Jessica.

 

“Alright then.” Donghae quickly prepped Jessica’s tummy for the ultrasound.

 

The lights went off and Doctor Lee had his device in his hands and slowly pressed it on her tummy. It took a moment to get used to the ultrasound picture quality, but once Donghae caught sight of the baby’s head, he stopped his hand and pointed to the screen.

 

“This is your baby’s head.” Donghae smiled. “It’s actually on their thumb.” He pointed to the thumb in the baby’s mouth.

 

Jessica and Kris only grinned at the screen. Their baby is already so cute.

 

“Now to find out the gender…” Donghae adjusted his device to zoom out of the picture and to view the whole baby.

 

The couple only had their eyes glued to the screen. This is it. They’ll know the gender now.

 

 

“It’s a…” 

 

 



{Author's Note}: LOL CLIFFHANGER. Don't you just love them? I know, I know, I'm mean. Pls don't throw tomatoes at me lol. Let me know in the comments which gender you want/think this baby is. ^^

You guys are spoiling me. I've reached 120 upvoters! <3
DrAsTiC
Theaismyname
NonFictional_
priskilajessica