Chapter 56

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Jessica’s Pregnancy Calendar – Week 17

 

What am I even doing? Jessica let her feet take her wherever. She became lost in her thoughts. The sun was setting and she still didn’t know why she left the house like that. Kris didn’t even chase after her. He didn’t even seem the bit interested at all. Jessica only sighed and kicked a pebble on the ground. I should just go home. She sighed out a breath. My feet are tired.

 

Just then, she looked up and found that she had somehow made her way to a familiar coffee shop. Out of any other place, Jessica had unknowingly brought herself to this destination. Figuring that she has time to spare, she pulled the door open and walked into the café. It was a weekday anyways.

 

Scanning her eyes around, she spotted the person she expected to see and it unknowingly made her smile. Making her way over, Jessica stood at near him and tapped the two-seated table lightly.

 

“May I take this seat?” She only smiled when he looked up with a bit of a surprise.

 

“Well if it isn’t Mrs. Wu.” Donghae smiled back. “I’d be happy to let you take a seat.”

 

Jessica happily took the empty seat in front of him. “Jessica, remember? No formalities when we’re not in the office.”

 

Donghae chuckled, “Right. So what brings you here, Jessica? Were you here to visit me? I’m very touched that you thought about me.” He joked.

 

This time, it was Jessica’s turn to laugh. “No~ I just…wanted to take my mind off of things.” She responded carefully. “I took a walk and I somehow ended up here. You just so happened to be here.”

 

“Ah~ Taking your daily walk…I see.” Donghae grinned, liking the fact that Jessica has been following his instructions for exercising during pregnancy.

 

Jessica bit her lip in a grim way, being reminded of Kris. “Yeah…something like that.” Her eyes lowered down to the table and noticed the book Donghae was reading and decided to change the subject. “What were you reading?”

 

“Philosophy.” Donghae held up his book so she could see the cover page.

 

The woman giggled. “It does seem like something you would read.”

 

Donghae narrowed his eyes at her. “And what is that supposed to mean?” he watched her laugh.

 

Jessica quietly stopped snickering and looked him in the eyes. “Nothing. I just expected something like that from such a smart person like you.” She smiled innocently. “Especially the glasses. I was wondering when you were going to bust them out.” She pointed to the framed glasses he was currently donning.

 

“I’m not sure whether I should take that as a compliment or not…” Donghae wondered about her comment.

 

“Take it as evidence instead.” Jessica furrowed her brows. “You told me last time that you had twenty-twenty vision!” she gave him a suspicious look.

 

Donghae was only impressed. “You actually remembered that…”

 

Jessica only propped her chin onto her palms, leaning over the table. “Well, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be a good friend, now would I?” she smiled ever so naturally.

 

“You make me sound like a terrible friend now.” Donghae gave her a sarcastic look. “Did you want something to drink? Tab is on me.” He offered to pay for her drink.

 

“In that case…” Jessica grinned even more happily and waved a waitress over.

 

Donghae shook his head in amusement. Jessica already knew what she wanted as the immediately spoke about her order to the waitress who had just arrived at to her assistance. Once her order was taken, she turned to face Donghae again.

 

“Does that make me a better friend?” Donghae blinked, wanting to know if his gesture was praise worthy.

 

“Only if you did it out of generosity.” Jessica laughed. “It doesn’t count if you only did for a promotion to be a better friend.”

 

Donghae raised his hand seriously. “I did it out of generosity. Seriously.”

 

The two laughed together. “Well then I guess you’re officially my good friend.” Jessica couldn’t help but think about how they converse so comfortably like high school students.

 

When her drink arrived, Jessica twiddled with the straw while staring down at her beverage. Donghae seemed to notice a sudden shift in atmosphere. He casted his book aside and took off his glasses. Quietly examining Jessica, he studied her for a minute.

 

“Had a change in mind about your decaf green tea frappe?” Donghae leaned back comfortably in his seat, taking a sip of his coffee.

 

Jessica glanced up, her eyes looking a little lost and deep in thought. “Hm? No. Just thinking.”

 

Donghae gave her a disarming smile. “What are you thinking about?” he made her feel comfortable with his soft voice.

 

“…It’s nothing.” Jessica replied faintly.

 

“It’s not nothing if you’re looking and sounding like that.” Donghae sounded like a more caring and person therapist – a best friend whose shoulder you could lean on for support.

 

Jessica only stared at him with her brown orbs. They haven’t even met up that many times yet he could read her like a book already. Just like Kris.

 

“Talk to me. I’m here to listen and even give support.” Donghae smiled. “Just like my job, everything is confidential between me and my patient.”

 

Jessica peeked a tiny grin. “Are you becoming my therapist too?” she used her straw to poke around her cold drink.

 

“I can be if you want me to be.” Donghae reassured. “You can always keep it to yourself, but it’s better to let it out. I’m only giving you options and you can choose what you want to do. I just don’t want to see my friend being distraught and sad.” There was no cockiness or any sort of manipulation in his words – all truthful, sincere words.

 

“Just…” Jessica gulped, feeling dry. “Kris likes green tea frappe’s too.”

 

Donghae only gave her a grin, going with her direction of thoughts, even if he knows it wasn’t what she was really dwelling on. “Something in common.” He commented in a friendly way.

 

Jessica smiled, being reminded of many other things. “We actually have many things in common. Kris and I prefer the color white, we both like kids, being lazy and sleeping in on days off…” she had so much more to list but she was too jumbled up in her thoughts to name any more. “We’re both a little different from each other too…but somehow we match.”

 

“They do say that opposites attract.” Donghae input. “The attraction is strong.”

 

“Yeah…” Jessica stared off. Then why do I feel like there’s nothing in between us anymore?

 


 

 

“Thanks for the ride…and the dinner.” Jessica thanked Donghae gratefully. “You really didn’t have to.”

 

“As a caring obstetrician and as a very caring friend, I wouldn’t have let a pregnant woman starve and then walk home at night. It makes me concerned. You are carrying another life with you.” Donghae reminded her.

 

“I was going to eat after I went home.” Jessica reassured. “I’ll let you know that I’m a very responsible mommy.” She giggled. “I’ll bring you to dinner one day too…as a repayment – and you can’t say no!”

 

Donghae chuckled. “Alright. Just take care of yourself and your baby. I’ll see you next week for your checkup. Don’t stress out this week and relax.” He slyly gave her advice to her troubled thinking.

 

“Yes you will.” Jessica smiled, opening the car door. “This baby and mother says thank you and goodnight.” She spoke before shutting the door after she got out.

 

Donghae mouthed a ‘no problem’ before he watched her make her way towards the front door. As a concerned doctor, he waited until he saw the pregnant woman walk safely into the house before driving off.

 

Jessica only took in a calming deep breath before entering the house. The lights were still on so she knew that Kris had been home all along. She shut the door behind her softly and slipped off her shoes. Lightly making her way towards the kitchen, she knew she had to clean up the mess she made in there.

 

She told herself to remain calm and collected. She shouldn’t get mad and just explode. It wasn’t good for her or the baby. A pregnant woman shouldn’t stress or get riled up. Jessica was blankly walking as she had all these thoughts in her head. When she arrived in her kitchen, she was met with a quietly waiting Kris, leaning against the counter.

 

Jessica froze for a second, seeing that Kris was impatiently drumming his fingers on the edge of the countertop he was leaning on. The wife didn’t say anything and made her way towards the sink. She felt a bit disappointed. She would be lying if she said she didn’t half expect Kris to at least clean the sink for her, but then again, why would he if she was the one who made the mess? He doesn’t have any business doing anything in her kitchen except raiding the fridge. But he does the dishes for me most of the time. Jessica immediately shook that thought out of her head. He used to. Now he’s rarely even home to eat her meals.

 

Once Jessica reached for the faucet, Kris tore his eyes from the floor and up at her. “Where were you?” his voice was distant and cold.

 

Jessica could feel his eyes on her and she didn’t waver. “I took a walk.”

 

“Where did you walk to? It’s late.” Kris’s drumming of his fingers was more evident. “I tried calling, but you left your phone here.”

 

Jessica only drowned out the sound with the running water, as she started to clean up her mess. “Does it matter?” she replied just as coldly, not even sparing a glance his way.

 

“Yes, I want to know where you went.” Kris sounded much more demanding and even controlling, agitated even. “Where did you go?” he stood up straight and stared down at her.

 

Jessica kept efficiently washing the contents in the sink. “I already told you. I went out for a walk.” Her voice was getting sharp.

 

Kris only huffed out a raging breath and proceeded closer to her, becoming much more intimidating. “I’m asking where you went, not what you did.”

 

Jessica only took out the wasted veggies from the sink to discard them in the trash and when she walked back to her original position, Kris was securely guarding it, preventing her from walking back to the sink. The wife only directed her glaring eyes at him. The two stared down at each other for a minute, neither of them backing down. The tension was strong and evident between the two of them.

 

“Are you going to clean the kitchen?” Jessica finally spoke up in a strong voice. “If not, move.” Her words were sharp like daggers and made Kris move begrudgingly. “Thought so.” She eyed him straight in the eye before rightfully taking back her spot and continuing to clean up.

 

Kris became annoyed and agitated, grunting as he ran his hands through his hair in frustration. “What were you doing for the past two hours, Jessica?!” he raised his voice at her.

 

Jessica stilled, gritting her teeth as she looked angrily at the tiles in front of her. Kris never raised his voice with her. What makes him think he could be so demanding and bossy towards her? She’s not a slave. She’s not a dog. She’s not something he could control. What were you doing for the past weeks, Kris?! Jessica wanted so badly to yell back at him, knowing he’s been associated with Park Hana.

 

But she didn’t. Instead, she kept silent because she knows better than to yell at him like he did to her.

 

“Don’t make me repeat myself, Jessica.” Kris growled, using her full name furiously.

 

Jessica only slammed the faucet shut with rage. “What’s wrong with taking a walk? If I wanted to better the health of myself and my baby, then I can.” she gritted out.

 

At the mention of their child, Kris froze and simmered down a bit. He noticed the tears her eyes and felt remorse. Taking in a deep breath, he didn’t want to be this angry or else it’ll heighten things to a new level.

 

Jessica was trying her best to blink away the tears and started to look away from him. When she tried to leave the room, Kris only grabbed onto her wrist to stop her.

 

“Jess–” Kris’s grip was cut off when she flung her arm away.

 

“Don’t touch me.” Jessica’s voice was dead serious and threatening, but never did she raise her voice.

 

Kris gripped onto his hair in frustration, raging as he let out a grumble of anger. “What is the problem with you?!!” he yelled out, not understanding her dramatic ways, raising his voice again as Jessica only stared at him in bewilderment. “Just…what the hell!! I–”

 

He was about to continue, but Jessica cut him off. “Don’t you dare raise your voice at me.” She put him in line, letting him know she doesn’t like the way he’s treating her at the moment. She was not some dog.

 

Kris sighed out. “Wh–”

 

“Don’t…don’t even talk to me.” Her voice was faltering as she was fighting extremely hard to keep the overwhelming tears from falling.

 

Jessica only rushed her way upstairs, biting hard on her lower lip to prevent herself from making sound when the tears were already flowing down her cheeks like waterfalls. Locking herself in the bathroom, she immediately switched on the showerhead to mask her crying.

 

Never in her entire life did she think she could be that disregarded by Kris. She never thought he’d treat her like that. This wasn’t the Kris she knew and married.

 

Jessica covered her face and slid down onto the floor in agony. She just wanted time to rewind. Rewind all the way back to when she was out with Donghae. With Donghae, her smiles and laughter just seemed to come naturally. 

 



{Author's Note}: The reason why I've updated was because I feel that I have become stronger from the EXO issue and that I'm confident enough to keep this story up while the issue is still in progress. One of the many reasons why I chose not to update before was because I felt that the part of the plot for this story is drama and it's not fluff so it wouldn't lift readers's hearts when reading it, rather you guys will feel angsty and sad and I didn't want that because the EXO issue is already giving that to all of us. But with a better mindset and having time to recuperate, I feel like this story will uplift moods for the time being, even if it's drama. Let's grow from this issue and let's find a better way to look at it. :)

Thanks for upvoting! 
poplicious

Also thanks to all the subbies that subscribed during my hiatus! A ton of you guys subscribed! ^^