Chapter 36

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

It’s been around four hours since they’ve arrived back home. Two out of the four hours has been spent sleeping in together. A vacation can tire one out. When Kris awoke, he was feeling hungry and obviously turned to Jessica to inform her of his empty stomach. Jessica, who was still in a sleepy state contracted for a thirty minute wait before she nuzzled back onto his chest and fell back into a nap.

 

When Jessica woke up twenty minutes after, the two remained tangled in each other’s embrace while watching the television for who knows how long. In a relaxed manner, Kris twiddled with an end strand of Jessica’s hair. He only realized after their television series show has come to a commercial break, that it’s been well over thirty minutes.

 

“I think your thirty minute deal is up, sleepyhead.” Kris pecked her forehead dotingly.

 

Jessica didn’t move at the moment. “What do you want to eat? An omelet? I’m pretty sure we still have eggs in the fridge. There isn’t much…” she thought back, knowing that their fridge is most likely empty due to the fact that they haven’t been home the whole week.

 

“An omelet sounds nice.” He grinned at his wife’s suggestion, knowing that whatever she makes, he’ll eat regardless.

 

“Let’s see what’s in the fridge first.” Jessica stretched herself before hopping off the bed with Kris following right behind her.

 

With much luck, there were just enough eggs in the fridge for a meal. Kris eyed Jessica as she took what she could from the refrigerator to make him food. As she sorted a little cooking plan in her head, Kris took his usual seat on the island counter top, a front row seat to witness his wife’s cooking.

 

When Jessica started to work at the stove, Kris, being the curious person he is, went over and embraced his wife from behind. He peeked over to see what she was making for him and grinned when he saw that she was cooking what she said she was going to. As if a boy giddy for a toy, Kris was definitely anxious to be able to eat. Placing a kiss on her jaw-line, he let her know his thankfulness.

 

“Can you get me a juice box from the fridge, Kris?” Jessica asked half-focused, concentrated on the omelet in making that’s in front of her.

 

Kris without a doubt grabbed a little juice box that were made for children and unwrapped the little straw that was attached to it. Poking through the thin foil seal with the white straw, Kris then held the box in front his wife’s lips. Jessica didn’t hesitate to start sipping on the straw. His wife had a little thing for small packaged drinks.

 

Within the same time Jessica had finished the drink, she had also finished making Kris’ meal. She set it down on the table and retrieved another juice box from the fridge as her husband was gathering his dining utensils.

 

“You’re not eating?” Kris realized that she didn’t have a plate for herself once he sat down.

 

Jessica shook her head. “I’m not hungry. It’s probably because I just woke up a while ago.”

 

“You sure?” Kris gave her a worried look.

 

“Yep. I’ll eat after we head out to get groceries. I don’t feel hungry right now.” Jessica sipped on her juice box.

 

“Probably because you’ve been drinking all that juice.” He commented before munching on his food.

 

Jessica only pouted at him before tossing away her second empty juice box and about to get her third. “Just hurry eating so we can go get groceries.” She poked her straw into the box before sipping away in a stubborn manner.

 


 

As the weekend ended and it was time to continue the usual life, Jessica was settled into her office after several days. Her habitual doings were in progress. From the papers on her desk to the files that were up on her computer screen, it was safe to say that she was back in work-mode. The occasional typing of the keyboard would fill the silent office, as per customary, but with the intermittent sound of slurping through a straw before the trash can would take a hit.

 

What had seemed to be a small phase of Jessica’s turned into something rather consistent. Her juice craving seemed to have taken a spike up, as she had bought herself more packs of those addictive little juice boxes. Jessica didn’t realize she was actually causing a big mess in her own office until Tiffany walked in.

 

“Hey – whoa.” Tiffany stalled once she took a mere two steps into the room. “This is awkward. Jessica Jung’s office is actually looking…untidy. What a first.”

 

Jessica peeled her eyes off her computer screen and removed her lips from the straw she was currently sipping her juice with. “Hi, Fany.” She scanned her room and stilled. “I didn’t realize I was actually missing the trash can.” She scooted her chair near the fallen and crushed juice boxes were on the floor and picked them up to throw into the garbage can.

 

“What’s with all the juice?” Tiffany noticed two packaged juice cases piled on her desk. “I thought you preferred banana milk instead.” She eyed the packages carefully.

 

Jessica sat up in her seat and shrugged before she continued sipping on the juice she was drinking before Tiffany came in. “I don’t know, I just felt like drinking it so I bought more. It started after we came back from Jeju. I guess I haven’t had it in a while and it was in the fridge.”

 

“Well, yeah…we haven’t had these since we were kids.” Tiffany commented on the juice that was actually made for children’s lunchboxes.

 

“Maybe that’s why I’ve been drinking it.” Jessica tossed her finished juice box away and handed Tiffany one from the opened package. “Want one? They’re really good~”

 

Tiffany accepted and served herself a drink before getting down to business. “So the new launch…” she made her way behind the desk and pointed at the computer screen so Jessica would click on certain things.

 

“Hey, I meant to ask you…” Jessica reverted the topic when they just barely got any sort of work done.

 

“What is it?” Tiffany asked without looking, as she worked her fingers over the keyboard and filling out some files online for Jessica.

 

Jessica blinked at her side profile. “How’d you and Kai get along during the vacation?” she wanted some inside scoop. “I know that you two were paired in the same room~” she nudged shoulders with her best friend.

 

Tiffany just snorted. “Yeah, I knew that you and Kris were in the same room too.”

 

Jessica pouted before clicking her tongue at the fact that Tiffany was keeping everything to herself. “Come on, Fany~ Tell me. What’d you guys do?”

 

The eye-smiling female just faced the married woman. Jessica blinked at her before giving her a thumb up. Tiffany only had a neutral face. Jessica frowned and drew her thumb down with a questioning face. Tiffany responded with a blank face yet again. Crooking up an eyebrow, Jessica flipped her thumb to the middle, to which Tiffany sighed and nodded.

 

“Aw, what happened?” Jessica’s eyebrow creased into a worried expression. “It wasn’t that bad was it?”

 

“You have no idea.” Tiffany groaned, rubbing her forehead. “You already know how Jongin and I have been sleeping on the same bed together.”

 

 “Yeah, of course. You’ve told me.” Jessica nodded her head before giving a brightened face. “Did something happen?” she became animated when Tiffany’s face became shy and giddy. “Something did happen! Tell me~”

 

Tiffany cupped her cheeks and grinned. “Well, you remember how Jongin had this fear of touching me if we’re near the bed?”

 

Jessica nodded her head, sipping on her juice. “Yeah, you said it’s because he’s scared that things will be get out of hand so that’s why you guys sleep with a huge gap in between on the bed. That you thought it was really sweet and romantic, but then as weeks passed, you got all frustrated and mad because it seemed like you two were like a married couple that wanted a divorce but couldn’t afford it so you guys had to deal with each other.”

 

“Yeah…” Tiffany’s eye twitched, not liking how Jessica remembered her exact words from when she was ranting to her. “But anyways, I guess Jongin finally saw hopeless and frustrated I was so he made an effort to sleep closer during the time of the trip. It wasn’t until near the end of the vacation that he actually hugged onto me.” She smiled dreamily in full content.

 

“That’s good! You guys are making progress! It took forever for him to actually want to move into the same room as you.” Jessica complimented her, but realized something. “But why’d you think that the situation was so-so? It’s good isn’t it?” she recalled that Tiffany wasn't completely satisfied with the whole trip.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, the progress was great. I’m glad Jongin is willing to move forward and try for me. The nights were lovely,” Tiffany named out the good stuff, but Jessica was waiting for the bad news. “But…I felt like an invisible human being the rest of the time! It’s like the only time Jongin sees me is when it’s time for bed. All the activities we do in the day makes me seem like…another freaking tree in the forest!” she exclaimed in hopelessness. “I don’t know if Jongin just misses his friends, but he was literally frolicking around with Kyungsoo and Sehun the entire trip! I would always have to spend the time with Yuri instead because Jongin would ditch me.”

 

“Maybe he did miss the members. Kris did too.” Jessica reassured her best friend with the facts that Kris did play around with the other members as well.

 

Tiffany sprawled over the desk. “But that’s different~!”

 

“How so?” Jessica asked, not knowing that there was a difference.

 

“You guys are married! Of course you guys would pay attention to each other regardless of any situation! Did you see that time at the spa when Tao almost hit you in the face with a ball? Kris was on the other side of the pool and rushed over because he saw everything that happened! Married couples always look out for each other!”

 

Jessica blinked, shrugging at the correct fact. “Well, yeah…but I’m sure Kai noticed you too!”

 

“I got hit by the ball over five times and Jongin never noticed. He even hit me two out of the five times without even noticing.” Tiffany sighed. “His own girlfriend is invisible to him. Ugh.” She let out a lazy groan that sounded much like a grandpa.

 

“What happened when you guys got home? Anything particular?” Jessica felt as if she was a therapist at this point, but she would always be there for Tiffany.

 

“He did make dinner specially for two…” Tiffany started.

 

“See?! He probably just wanted to say sorry for the way he was acting! He’s aware of your feelings!” Jessica positively tried to comfort the deteriorated redhead.

 

Tiffany snorted. “Yeah. Except that by two, I meant him and Tao. Jongin forgot to make my plate, so I ended up having to cook for myself while the two of them enjoyed dinner in front of the TV watching some sport game. I had to eat by myself, Sica~” she whined.

 

“Oh…” Jessica was at a loss for what to say at this point. “Maybe he wants to surprise you?” she crooked up an eyebrow, taking guesses. “I don’t know…”

 

Tiffany lifted her head off the table, her hair all disheveled. “Surprise for what? Nothing is coming up. Our fourth anniversary passed like months ago! So did my birthday!”

 

“Did you miss his birthday?” Jessica asked. “Maybe he’s mad that you forgot his birthday?”

 

“We spent his birthday out at the dance studio he went to when he was in high school. Don’t you remember that I was busy planning out the surprise all by myself a couple months ago?” Tiffany cleared up anything Kai would actually ignore her for.

 

Jessica was at a loss for what other excuses Kai could have. She tossed her empty juice box into the trashcan and sighed. “Maybe he’s on his period.” She joked around.

 

Tiffany sat up straight and glared at her. “I don’t know why he’s like this. Maybe he is on some kind of man period. OH! Did you know what happened yesterday?! Oho! That was outrageous! He was –”

 

“Maybe we should save this conversation for lunch.” Jessica noticed the time. “It’s lunchtime and we haven’t even done any kind of work ever since you came in here. Let’s talk over lunch and then work after.” Jessica was more interested in getting some food in her stomach at this point.

 

“Fine.” Tiffany was glad to have some time off of work to actually talk out her problems, although she was already doing that during work time.

 

“You have my permission to third-wheel on me and Kris’ lunch date. Kris might have some insight on Kai’s point of view.” Jessica pulled out her phone, busily messaging her husband while speaking to Tiffany. “You can tell Kai that you’re busy. He doesn’t have to know about this lunch date.”

 

“I was going to do that.” Tiffany was already on her phone as well.

 


 

“I’m feeling avocados today.” Jessica commented, looking through the menu.

 

Kris, who was also looking through the menu, quickly pointed out a few selections with avocados. “These ones here have them.” He glided his finger on the numbers on Jessica’s menu. “If you get one of those omelets, I’ll get the pancakes so we can share.”

 

“Strawberry waffles.” Tiffany voiced her order to the waiter while the married couple was still deciding on their orders. “With hot coffee.”

 

“Spanish omelet with extra avocados. Also hot tea.” Jessica grinned before looking over at Kris.

 

“Bacon pancakes.” Kris nodded his head. “I’ll stick with water.”

 

The waiter happily took the orders and went off to the counter.

 

“So, explain to me why you’re third wheeling again?” Kris arched an eyebrow, an amused smug smile playing on his lips.

 

Tiffany heaved out a heavy sigh. “Ugh, I already told you –”

 

“Fany,” Jessica interjected. “He’s just messing with you.” She gave Kris a glancing look before giving her a meek grin.

 

Tiffany darted a glare at Kris. “Thanks for finding my hardships so amusing.” Her tone was nothing close to sarcastic.

 

“No problem.” Kris mused. “What’s wrong with Kai, anyways? He seems pretty normal to me.”

 

“He’s been semi-ignoring Fany for a while now.” Jessica saved Tiffany from doing any explaining.

 

Kris had a confused expression. “Semi-ignoring? What?” he chuckled at the thought. “How can you half ignore someone?”

 

“It’s kind of like what you did to me for a long period of time before you proposed to me.” Jessica elucidated with an example. “You know…ignore me for the whole day and then come back to me at night to give me hugs and kisses, but ignore me when it’s morning again.”

 

“Oh~” Kris had an epiphany. “I only did that because you’re always the first to notice if something is wrong with me. I didn’t want to be too obvious.”

 

Jessica’s mind lit up like a light bulb. “Hey, what if Kai is actually surprising you?!” she gasped. “What if he’s going to propose to you?!”

 

Kris nodded, noting that as a possibility. “That’s smart of him…taking a page out of my book.” 

 

Tiffany scoffed in disbelief. “Yeah, sure. We’ve been together for like four years now, skinship is normal between us, but the only thing that keeps us apart is bed. A mattress.” She emphasized. “Jongin can’t even get over the fact that we’re actually even sleeping on the same bed. Did I tell you that he was hogging the whole blanket last night? I was freezing!”

 

“Maybe he’s not used to sleeping on the same bed as someone else.” Jessica resorted. “It took us a while to get used to each other.” She referred to herself and Kris.

 

“Jongin is a weird sleeper anyways. He hugs people to sleep.” Kris revealed, making Tiffany’s jaw drop.

 

“Then why is he so scared to touch me when we’re sleeping on the same bed?” Tiffany felt that this was unbelievable. “He’s only held me a couple times to sleep.” She frowned. “I bet he’s more comfortable sleeping with bunched up blankets.”

 

Kris blinked. “Did I say he’s a weird sleeper? Yeah, he’s a weird sleeper and also a weird person overall.” He revised his sentence, trying to put this whole situation to a simple ending.

 

Tiffany sighed and buried her face in her hands. “We’re such a weird couple. Everything we do is normal and great, but when it comes to sleeping or anything on the bed, touching is out of the equation. It’s like we’re sleeping corpses.” She groaned. “Does Jongin have some kind of fear for beds or something?” she assumed the worst.

 

“No, not that I know of.” Kris answered truthfully.

 

“I was just kidding.” Tiffany chided. “If he did, he would’ve told me a long time ago.”

 

“Maybe he wants to surprise you. You never know. Maybe this is his way to hide his possible surprise for you. We all know that you’re really bright and detect things really fast.”

 

Tiffany frowned, looking down in the dumps. “If he’s planning something, I would’ve caught on by now.”

 

“Just have hope that he’s planning something. Like you’ve said, you two have been together for four years, I’m pretty sure you two know each other like how Kris and I know each other. Kai is smart enough to know how you think and if he wants to surprise you, he has to do certain things in order to hide from you.” Jessica comforted Tiffany.

 

Tiffany’s expression lightened up. “Really, you think he’s planning something for me?”

 

“Of course, and if he’s not planning anything and he’s being like this for no reason, Kris and I will have a little chat with him.” Jessica glanced at her husband. “Right, Kris?” she blinked expectantly.

 

“Yep.” Kris nodded his head. “Wring him up like a pretzel, after a very lengthy lecture.” He grinned.

 

Tiffany gave a relieved smile. “Thanks guys.”

 

Suddenly the food came and their hot meals were extremely mouth watering. Jessica’s order was placed in front of her and she smiled. She glanced to her right when she saw Kris’ plate of bacon pancakes. Tiffany was already happily munching on her food as soon as it settled in front of her.

 

Looking down at her humongous omelet, Jessica saw in her peripheral vision that Kris took his first bite of his pancakes. The whiff of bacon filled their booth and all Jessica could smell was bacon. Her earlier craving for avocados completely disappeared, as all she wanted now was bacon pancakes.

 

“Kris, let’s switch.” Jessica eyed his plate of bacon pancakes with glistening eyes.

 

“Why? I thought we were sharing.” Kris crooked an eyebrow up.

 

Jessica shrugged. “I don’t feel like eating avocados anymore. I want bacon.” She blinked up at him with pleading eyes. “They look more delicious.” She grinned cutely.

 

Kris only smiled at her and stole a small kiss from her lips. “Fine.” He switched their plates and let her have what she wanted, considering that he didn’t mind avocados.

 

Getting what she wanted, Jessica started to munch happily on her food. “Someone looks free of worries.” She saw that Tiffany had a bright expression and not looking as terrible and hopeless like she did earlier.

 

“Well, that’s because you guys helped me cheer up.” Tiffany grinned. “I don’t think I have much to worry about, other than the fact that Jongin might be ignoring me for no reason. I just hope there’s a good reason behind his actions.”

 

“Mm!” Kris exclaimed, trying to chew his food quickly so he could voice out his words. “I know why he doesn’t want to touch you when you guys are on the same bed together.” He clapped his hands together.

 

Tiffany listened intently, placing down her utensils. “What is it? What’s the reason?”

 

Kris chuckled for a second and Jessica already knew that whatever was going to come out of Kris’ mouth would be a bit embarrassing. “He’s…ually frustrated.” He did a favor a whispered the last two words, but nevertheless made Jessica duck her head down in embarrassment while Tiffany’s eyes widened to the size of golf balls. “Think about it.”

 

Tiffany gave Kris a deadpanned look and was silent for a moment before she actually spoke up. “Oh my god, you’re right!”

 

Jessica looked at the both of them with an incredulous expression. “What? Are you guys joking around?”

 

“Hear me out.” Kris sat up in his seat and got both women to listen in with full attention. “I’m completely sure of this. Jongin is going through a time where he’s having a difficult time keeping his sanity. He’s going through the difficult phases of having a girlfriend. The time where every man goes through with a long time girlfriend. Even I have gone through it.”

 

Jessica only blinked at him with a suspicious look. “You have?”

 

“Of course, it was with you.” Kris reassured her thoughts and pecked her forehead.

 

“Why exactly is Jongin having a difficult time though?” Tiffany reverted back to the original subject.

 

“See, any man who has a long time girlfriend wants to move their relationship to further heights.” Kris received uncomprehending looks from the two best friends. “Men who are in this situation find it difficult because they can’t…” Kris paused to look for words. “Get it in.”

 

“Excuse me?” Tiffany looked puzzled with his terms.

 

“You know…” Kris blinked at her, not understanding how she does not get it. “Do it.”

 

Tiffany narrowed her eyes. “Just get to the point. What’s with all these terms? I don’t understand.”

 

Jessica slouched in her seat, silently groaning at Tiffany’s dense thinking with these things. Even she knows what Kris is trying to say. Boy, has Tiffany been living under a rock these past years.

 

Kris leaned forward and cleared it up for her. “Jongin isn’t touching you because he’s ually frustrated. He clearly doesn’t want to harm you because you might not be ready for such a big step in the relationship. He’s being too awkward when you guys are on the bed because he obviously doesn’t know your opinion on .”

 

“Oh~” Tiffany nodded her head with intrigued attention. “But how are you so sure?”

 

“It happened to me with Jess.” Kris explained, scrunching up his lips.

 

“Did it really?” Jessica sat there thinking back in time, not even noticing any moments where Kris seemed that way.

 

Kris faced his wife and nodded. “It did. You have no idea how many times I had urges and even had to calm myself down, but I knew you wanted to wait till after marriage, so I waited and suppressed those urges. We talked about it and that’s why I was willing to wait.”

 

Jessica became touched and smiled at him. “I do remember talking about it, but I never knew that you had to suppress so many urges.”

 

“Well, I did because I knew how much it meant to you.” Kris revealed, earning a kiss from Jessica.

 

“Hey, guys.” Tiffany waved her hand. “Can we get back on topic? I’m trying to understand why my boyfriend is being the way he is right now.” She snapped her fingers and got Kris to face her. “So what should I do?”

 

“Well, I’m not a woman, so I wouldn’t really know.” Kris shrugged his shoulders. “You should ask Jess. She somehow got the courage to tell me. But as a man, I suggest you to tell Jongin about your life plans. Just letting you know in advance, but not every man will be as accepting and patient as me.” He somehow started to boast about himself.

 

“What?” Jessica didn’t know why he suddenly started to compliment himself.

 

Kris turned to Jessica. “That means that you have yourself a perfect, patient husband.” He gave a charming smile. “Someone who won’t force you into getting deflowered, but someone who will accept you the way you are and love you enough to wait till the ends of the earth for you and only you.” He spoke poetically. “A man who will respect you and your values and when the day comes, he will be gentle and loving, sincere in every way with his perfect, beautifully handsome features that –”

 

Jessica cut him off by shoving a piece of pancake in his mouth. “You can stop there, Mr. Braggy.” 



{Author's Note}: Let me give you guys a heads up. Be on the look out for some context clues. There will be some good things coming up in this story! ^^