Chapter 67

Forever

Author's POV:

 

Jessica's Pregnancy Calendar — Week 40

 

Today is the day, Jessica told herself. A smile crept onto her lips as she stretched her body on the bed. Yawning awake, she fluttered her eyes open to have the bright sun shine down on her. She turned to grab her husband. To her surprise, her significant other was missing. Jessica frowned before she struggled her heavy self into a sitting position. One thing she was not going to miss about pregnancy was her fatigue and loose joints. The woman scanned the master bedroom with suspicious eyes. 

Kris knew how important today is. There was no way he would miss his first baby's due date. So where exactly was he?

Jessica’s eyes darted towards the in-suite bathroom when she heard the door swing open. Her eyes narrowed on the man who walked out with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. As if on cue, Kris smiled before leaning over to give her a kiss on the forehead.

“Good morning, beautiful.” He smelled of fresh mint.

A grin reciprocated on Jessica’s lips. That is, until her man started to saunter nonchalantly into their shared walk-in closet. Her eyebrows furrowed with confusion. She shimmied herself off the bed and followed after him.

“Excuse me, sir. What are you doing right now?” Jessica quirked an eyebrow up, leaning against the wall.

Kris gave her a grin as he buttoned up his pants. “I think the real question is what are you doing right now?” he chuckled, looping up his belt. “Because I think you’re checking me out.”

His sarcasm almost made her laugh, but she forced herself to remain serious. Jessica crossed her arms and pouted. zipped shut as she waited for him.

Kris swung his white crisp oxford shirt on, but before he could button it up, he noticed his wife’s pouty silence. “Babe, did you forget I had work today?”

“I didn’t forget. You never told me.” Jessica retorted, still pouting.

“My schedule never changed, you cutie.” Kris only mimicked her pose, only to have a smug smile on his beautiful face.

Jessica gave him a glare. “Well, you knew today is blip’s due date. I thought you took today off.”

“I thought we agreed that I’ll be on call at work?”

“Since when?”

“Since last night, silly.” Kris playfully tapped her nose.

Jessica only gave him an uncomprehending look. “How come I don’t remember this so-called conversation at all?”

Kris only hugged onto her waist and gave her a doting look. “Oh, baby. That’s because you fell asleep during the conversation.” He chuckled and kissed her nose ever so slightly.

The wife became dumbfounded. Kris only continued to get dressed, as if the conversation was over. Since when did they finalize their conversations when she accidentally falls asleep? Stupid pregnancy fatigue!

Jessica frowned and only latched onto her husband. “But I don’t want you to leave. Stay with me.” She made sure to pull out her puppy eyes.

Kris started to waver. “Jess, you know I can’t.” he tried not to look at her cute face.

Jessica let go and immediately looked suspicious. “Why?” she stared him straight in the eye. “Why is it that you have to go to work today? I thought you were just as excited as I was about having blip today.”

“Babe, I swear on my mother and on you that I am not trying to miss our baby girl’s birth.” He coaxed her. “But we talked about this. I told you that I had an important meeting today. I’ve been prepping this for three months. You know that I could get promoted.”

A red color flushed Jessica’s face when she suddenly remembered. “Oh…yeah.” She muttered.

“Oh yeah.” Kris reiterated teasingly, earning a slap on the arm.

With the excitement of their baby’s arrival, Jessica barely remembered anything else. Donghae had told her that today was blip’s due date. The couple should prepare for labor any time of the day. Of course, both of them were excited. That is, until now – Jessica became slightly uneasy.

“What if my water breaks while you’re not here?” Jessica questioned, helping him with his tie. “What if you’re still in the middle of your meeting? Does that mean I have to get to the hospital by myself?” she nearly choked her husband with her scared thoughts.

Kris loosened up the tie around his neck. “I’m only a call away. Don’t worry. I’m just as anxious as you are about this.” He cupped her face. “But everything will be okay. My meeting is only a couple hours. I’ll be back as soon as it’s over. If blip decides to come during my meeting, you already know I’m running out of there, okay?” he gave her a kiss.

Jessica gave him a look before she tightened his tie again. “You better.” She only sauntered off.

Kris groaned, trying to loosen up the neck restraint. Feisty.

 

 

The clock ticked by another hour. 4:00pm. It’s been five hours since Kris left the house. He had informed her that the meeting was running late on schedule. Counting down the time, Jessica knew he was finishing up just about now.

She sighed and stared at the clock ticking away. Was it weird that her water hasn’t broke yet? Jessica felt blip nudge her stomach. She had several small contractions throughout the day, but nothing big. Jessica has been expecting the long-awaited water break, but it hasn’t happened all day. She’s getting tired and bored. She had imagined her day to resemble a movie – her water breaks and she has her husband rush home to drive crazily towards the hospital. Jessica sighed. It looks like it’s not going to happen today.

On another note, at least her day hasn’t been uneventful. The gang knew today was the day their little niece was scheduled to be delivered. Hence, Jessica’s phone hasn’t quite stopped ringing with phone calls and texts all day. It seems everyone was looking forward to blip’s arrival.

Knowing that the due date is not always correct, Jessica was informed that blip could arrive any time before or after the due date. Although if she reaches a week after the due date, it could be a bad sign. Jessica only hopes that blip will come soon. Her baby girl will come when she’s ready.

When 4:30pm came around, the front door opened and shut promptly. Kris immediately found his wife cuddled in the living room sofa with a fluffy blanket. When the two met eyes, Jessica only pouted at him. Kris produced a smile and took a seat next to her. He immediately cuddled her.

“Not even one bad contraction today. Let alone my water breaking.” Jessica pouted. “She doesn’t want to be welcomed to the world yet.”

“She’s shy.” Kris pecked his wife’s temple. “Just like you.”

“I’ve been waiting for her the whole day.” Jessica snuggled into the crook of his neck. “All by myself.”

Kris waved his phone. “I think everyone was waiting for her the whole day.” He put his hand onto his wife’s belly. “She just wants to have one last day with her mom.”

Jessica glanced up at him. “Why do you always know what to say?” she scrunched up her nose.

“Because I’m the best at being your husband.” Kris complimented himself before he stopped her reply. “I know, you love me.”

Jessica rolled her eyes at his playful ways. “What if I said no?”

“Then I’ll just give all my attention to my baby girl.” Kris tilted his chin up.

Jessica was about to retort when her pelvis started to cramp up. She yelped and clutched onto Kris for support. The clenching pain seemed to be almost unbearable.

“Jess, is this a contraction or your water broke?” Kris sounded alarmed and serious.

Jessica could barely breathe. “I think…I think blip is coming…” she cried out.

It’s happening. “Christ sake, babe. We need to get to the hospital!” Kris’ adrenaline was starting to kick in.

“No…wait…” Jessica managed to sputter out in the midst of her overwhelming pain.

“Jess, we can’t wait. Our baby is coming!” Kris tried to support her up. “If you can’t get up, I’ll carry you out.”

She yelped in pain once more, clutching her belly. “Kris…” she whimpered out in cries.

Kris leaned closer, not wanting to see her in pain. “What is it? Did you need anything? Did you want me to carry you instead? What’s wrong?” he started to rush his words, becoming frazzled in the moment.

“Nothing.” Jessica suddenly sat up straight and seemed just fine with a smug smile on her face.

Her husband on the other hand, became extremely dumbfounded. He swore he felt his legs go numb for a minute. Slowly but surely, Kris caught on.

“Are you serious right now?” Kris deadpanned, giving her a look.

Jessica only laughed. “Gotcha.” She was still given the unamused look. “Oh please, babe. You were way too smug today. Lighten up.”

“That was not funny.” Kris covered his face, trying to rid himself of the anxiety he just had. “That was the worst time to pull something like that, Jess.”

“It was only because I love you.” Jessica leaned over and kissed him on the lips. “Also because I want your attention too.”

Kris only gave her a look of disbelief before he shook his head. “Baby, you always have my attention.” He quirked his eyebrows up. “Especially when you’re not wearing clothes.”

Jessica gasped and shoved her laughing, dirty-minded husband. “I only hope that you are not like this in front of our child.” She could only shake her head.

 

 

Dinner flew by just like the rest of the day. Jessica did not receive any contractions. In fact, it seemed that blip was going about the day quietly. She didn’t want to admit it, but Jessica felt like today was one of the easiest days of her third trimester. Although, she did miss blip’s interactions. It seems like their baby wasn’t ready to make her appearance just yet.

Bed time ensued and the two were already busy in the group chat with the rest of the gang. The bread was still baking. There was no use of staying up tonight, despite Tao’s incessant belief that blip was definitely going to come. Everyone is on their toes about the baby girl.

With twenty-two people in the group chat, there was no buffer in between replies. Kris groaned at the sight of the notifications. His phone kept going off non-stop the whole day. Needless to say, it was annoying. He tossed his cellular onto the nightstand and cuddled next to his wife.

“Kris.” Jessica suddenly spoke in the dark.

He responded by humming and meeting her eyes.

“Can we name our little girl – “

“No.” He cut her off, already knowing where she was trying to go.

“Why not?” Jessica frowned. The two had different ideas of naming their first born.

Kris reciprocated her frown. “Because I think my suggestion is better.”

“I think my suggestion is cuter.” Jessica darted back.

The man yawned. “We’ll figure it out when we see her. I’m sure it’ll click.” He shut his eyes, willing her to do the same. “Goodnight.”

Silence ensued for about a good two minutes.

“Kris.” Jessica spoke again, to which he hummed. “Can you at least take it into consideration?”

Kris gave her a peck to the head. “I have.” She perked up. “And I still think my suggestion is better.” Her hopes deflated. “We can talk about this later. Goodnight, baby.”

Jessica begrudgingly sighed before shutting her eyes tight. “Fine. Goodnight.”

The two laid in a soft comfortable silence. Jessica heard Kris’ breathing slow. Suddenly, she peeped her eyes open. The pregnant wife glanced over at her man.

“Kris.”

“Go to sleep, Jess.” Kris didn’t bother to fancy her requests. “We’ll talk about it tomorrow.” He was tired and sleepy.

Abruptly, Jessica’s hand slapped onto Kris’ chest. The man flinched, but he sleepily returned back into a slow slumber.

“Kris.”

The husband only groaned.

“I think my water just broke.” Jessica spoke frantically in the silence.

Kris stilled, his eyes still shut. “Jess, stop messing with me again.”

The pregnant woman’s hand slapped him hard. “I’m not lying right now. Kris, my water just broke.” She sounded dazed.

Immediately, the man shot up on the bed and the lights. He flung the duvet off his still wife. Kris’ eyes turned wide when he saw the sheets damp. Oh .

“Jess.” Kris somehow managed to sputter out in his frozen state. “We’re having a baby.”

 



{Author's Note}LOL hi. Miss me?