Chapter 58

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Jessica’s Pregnancy Calendar – Week 18

 

It’s been two days. Two days since Kris had been gone. Two days too long. Jessica expected him to be back the same night he left, but he didn’t. She didn’t know where he went. She didn’t know when he’d be back. Jessica couldn’t deny the fact that she was feeling extremely heartbroken and even concerned. Did Kris leave her permanently? That was the dying question that she wanted to avoid.

 

The house seemed so much bigger and lonelier without Kris’s presence. Although Jessica would be home alone every weekday, the house was different without Kris’s missing presence for two days. It made Jessica feel so alone and isolated. It didn’t feel right at all.

 

Jessica finally got up from the bed with the blankest expression ever. She’s felt like a robot ever since Kris left. Everything she does just feels so pointless, but she does them to fill in the lonely feeling of not doing anything. She dragged her heavy body into the bathroom to get ready earlier than usual.

 

As soon as she woke up this morning to find that Kris still wasn’t back, Jessica felt as if her heart had been ripped out of her chest. She had hoped that Kris would at least be here for her today. Jessica sighed as she prepared herself to leave the house. Once she opened the front door, she had made sure that Kris indeed left with the car. She merely blinked and shut the door behind her before she headed down the sidewalk to the nearest bus stop.

 

Today was the day for another pregnancy checkup.

 

Since Kris had taken the car, Jessica was forced to take the bus instead. Hence, the reason why she woke up earlier today. She had to catch the bus. It was also another reason why she thought Kris would be back by today. Kris never missed an appointment with her. Until now. Kris was there at the last appointment where they had made the appointment for today. They always made appointments on the weekends so Kris wouldn’t miss it, but it seems that he wouldn’t be attending, even if he knew it was today.

 

Jessica wordlessly boarded the bus and sat in the back next to the window. She watched as the scenery passed by. It was nice that it was a sunny day, but she couldn’t bring herself to smile about it. She felt too tired and fatigued to even make an expression. Getting off at her stop, Jessica sighed. It was time for another walk. The hospital was located blocks away.

 

Slipping on her sunglasses, she began walking and avoiding people’s passing smiles. It seems that when you’re pregnant, you receive much more smiles and happy looks. Today, Jessica felt burdened by the sincere smiles she was getting because she didn’t feel like returning them back. It made her regret wearing a body hugging t-shirt and shorts. Maybe she should’ve worn a much more looser shirt. That would’ve lessened the attention.

 

With her slow speed and sore feet, Jessica finally made it towards the designated building after fifteen difficult minutes. She was still out of breath when she got to the waiting room and sat down. It was definitely a workout for a pregnant woman. Jessica pulled out her phone to check for any missed calls or messages. None. She had little hope that Kris would actually contact her, but he really isn’t coming.

 

“Mrs. Wu?” The nurse called out her name.

 

Jessica automatically stood up and followed the nurse. Being led to the usual examination room, Jessica thanked the worker before she made herself comfortable on the chair. Her heart sank at the loneliness she was feeling at the moment. Normally, Kris would be sitting next to her, holding her bag and smiling at her. Normally, he would be here supporting her.

 

But he wasn’t. Because he left.

 

Jessica leaned back on the exam chair she was on. Her head slightly tilted back till it touched the headrest and she shut her eyes, feeling every wrenching beat of her heart. Where are you, Kris? Where are you when I need you? When the baby needs you the most? Let’s just stop fighting already.

 

Several knocks sounded on the door and Jessica opened her eyes just in time for the door to open. “Hi.” Donghae gave her a soft smile.

 

“Hi.” Jessica tried her best to at least smile, but ended up lowering her head and twiddling her fingers.

 

Donghae already knew what was wrong, but he chose to delay the talk until after the checkup. “How are you feeling this week? Baby been okay?”

 

“Blip has been kicking and moving.” Jessica rubbed her tummy. “I’ve been talking to my belly a lot since blip can hear now.”

 

“Exercising has been okay?” Donghae already knew the answer.

 

“Of course.” Jessica gave a tiny grin and looked up at him.

 

“I believe you.” Donghae smiled, giving her a reassuring look before finally moving to wash his hands at the sink. “I’ll be checking on the baby’s condition now.”

 


 

 

“Would you like to tell me what’s wrong?” Donghae was seated comfortably behind his desk. The two moved into his office to discuss a few things regarding Jessica, since Donghae had to talk to her about the baby as well.

 

Jessica only sat there, fiddling with the new ultrasound picture she received. Blip was no longer a blip anymore. The baby is practically the size of a full onion; about five inches long. Jessica only sighed, wishing that Kris were here to witness it.

 

Donghae became worried, seeing that she was getting more and more sad and down each time he sees her. “Jessica, you can always talk to me. I’m here for a reason. I’ll try my best to help you.”

 

“I’m fine.” Jessica lied, not wanting to get anyone else involved in her dramatic life. “There’s nothing to worry about.”

 

“No, you’re not.” Donghae wanted to help her, but he could only do so if Jessica lets him. “I’m here to help, so tell me why Kris is making you so gloomy and miserable.” He knew her situation dealt with Kris and it’s getting worse, even if Jessica never told him anything.

 

Jessica stared at him in shock and surprise. “…How did you know?”

 

Donghae only grinned at her. “Well, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be a good friend, now would I?” he repeated the same words Jessica had said to him before. “Plus, your ever-so protective husband isn’t here right now. He’s never missed an appointment with you.”

 

“We’re just…fighting.” Jessica slumped in her seat, still playing with the picture. “We haven’t communicated properly for the past several weeks.”

 

Donghae became more serious. “I’m sure that’s been on your mind for a while…” he got Jessica to nod at him. “Jessica, I’m going to be frank with you.” He had something serious to tell her. “I might not know the whole story to all this and I know this is personal to you, but I honestly don’t feel you’re safe in that kind of environment. The fighting is getting to you and your emotions. From the looks of it, I know for sure you’re feeling terrible, but you need to get Kris and yourself on the same page. All this stress and emotional strain is literally taking a toll on the baby.” He stared straight into her eyes with a hard expression. “I know you haven’t been eating, Jessica. The baby is not going to be healthy if you keep this up.”

 

Jessica wavered under his stare, feeling guilty that she’s been found out, but she hasn’t had an appetite ever since Kris left the house. “It’s only been two days…I’ve been drinking water.” She couldn’t look Donghae in the eyes.

 

“Water isn’t enough. You and your baby need nutrients. You need to eat.” Donghae was being strict, wanting to get to her head. “You’re carrying another life in you, Jessica. It’s not just you anymore. Take care of your baby or else you’re risking its life.”

 

“Okay.” Jessica sighed, biting down her lip.

 

“I’m serious, Jessica.” Donghae is dead serious when it came to a life threatening issue.

 

“Okay.” Jessica didn’t dare look into his eyes, for the fear that she might not be able to fulfill his orders. She just didn’t want to do anything ever since Kris left.

 

“I don’t want to baby you and make you feel like I’m your parent, but this is serious. You need to start eating. I’m not going to be there to look over your shoulder everyday, so do me a favor and eat. It’s not just your baby’s life, but it’s also yours. A life is valuable, but to be in control of two lives is even more precious.” Donghae needed to let her know the possible consequences of her actions. “I’m telling you this because I’m concerned, Jessica.”

 

“I know.” Jessica spoke softly. “Is that all?” she asked rather blankly.

 

Donghae sat there in a short silence before nodding his head. “Yes.”

 

Jessica got up from her seat. “I’ll get going now. Thanks for the checkup.” She glanced up at him with vacant eyes.

 

“I’m going to call you to check up on you.” Donghae was genuinely concerned for her as a friend as well.

 

“Okay.” Jessica gave a short bow before trudging her way out of his office, now on her way home.

 

Donghae leaned back in his chair, still feeling uneasy about Jessica. He let out a deep breath before bringing his attention down to Jessica’s medical file under his hand. He wanted to ensure Jessica’s health and the baby’s health and he knew just what he had to do.

 

He pressed a button on the office phone, messaging his secretary. “Can you help me look up the business hours of a certain company and set up an appointment with someone by the name of Kris Wu?”

 


 

 

“Why don’t you just fill out the papers and then do whatever you’re doing now?” The woman was messing around with the papers on Kris’s desk.

 

“Hana, I’m in the middle of this report and you’re telling me to stop what I’m doing and do something else?” Kris crooked up an eyebrow at her in amusement.

 

“I’m just giving you options.” Park Hana leaned over his desk, propping her chin on her hand. “It seems easier that way.” She started to play around with the stuff of his desk.

Kris watched her go through the files that were for him to review. “Having fun with company documents?” he spoke sarcastically.

 

“No, I don’t even know what it’s talking about.” Hana groaned and tossed the folder back on the desk. “I’m bored~” she whined, frowning at Kris. “Let’s do something!” she perked up at the idea.

 

Kris blinked at her blandly. “I’m busy, if you don’t notice.” He watched her slump in her seat. “Don’t you have any work to do?”

 

“Nope!” Hana crossed her legs, causing her skirt to ride higher up her thighs. “I feel like I’m going to wait here all day.” She took out a mirror and eyed her makeup. “You’re always so busy. It’s no fun waiting for you.”

 

Kris watched her as she reapplied her red lipstick. “You’ve dealt with it for the past week. Why are you complaining now?”

 

“It gets boring waiting for you for everyday.” Hana put down her mirror and leaned towards Kris. “Why are you even working today? It’s a Saturday. You’re technically working overtime.”

 

“It’s my job. I’m good at it. I like it. I get paid doing something I like.” Kris explained. “Who asked you to clock out of your job so early? Now you’re stuck here waiting.”

 

Hana pouted and propped her chin on her palm again. “You can be so blunt sometimes.” She stared back at him and suddenly smiled. “It’s charming.” She remained gazing at him.

 

Kris only smirked at her before returning his eyes towards his computer screen, letting her look on without being bothered. “Your eyes are going fall out from staring at me for so long.” He spoke after she stared at him for a total of five straight minutes.

 

Hana giggled, being used to his bad-boy personality. “I wouldn’t mind if it was from staring at your handsome face all day.” She finally set back into her seat and started to re-examine her makeup through her mirror. “Speaking of faces, does my makeup look pretty today?” she batted her eyelashes, waiting for Kris to look at her again.

 

“You look the same as usual.” Kris blinked at her.

 

“No~” Hana whined. “I have winged eyeliner today!” she pointed to her eyes.

 

Kris blinked twice. “Oh.”

 

“Kris~! You’re supposed to notice these things!” Hana frowned, reaching forward and smacking her hand on his arm.

 

“As long you have your red lipstick, you still look the same.” Kris reiterated his words before reverting back to his report.

 

His comment made Hana content. “At least you remembered my trademark lips.” She smiled.

 

“Who wouldn’t after you smacked those lips on the collar of my white dress shirt?” Kris remembered when she sneakily printed the red lipstick onto his clothing. “It’s forever stained now, thanks to you.”

 

“You had to admit, it did look pretty y.” Hana smirked. “You were fine with it when you were walking around with it most of the day. Then again, you probably didn’t notice.” She laughed.

 

“Says the sneaky one who jumped onto me for a hug and stained my shirt without me knowing.” Kris continued to type on his keyboard.

 

“It was unintentional at first since my face just landed there, but after looking at it, I’d say it was on purpose.” Hana stood up and pulled out her perfume and started to spritz it around her neck and wrists.

 

Kris looked up and frowned. “I told you not to spray that around in here.”

 

“Why? It smells good! It’s cherry scented!” Hana purposely sprayed the perfume into the air. “It’s another trademark of Hana~”

 

“It gets on me and I end up smelling like a girl.” Kris complained.

 

Hana only sauntered behind his chair and draped herself on his shoulders, wrapping her arms around him and resting her chin on his shoulder. “No you don’t. I think it’s even ier that you smell like me.” She smiled.

 

Kris was about to respond to her, but was cut off when the intercom device beeped, signaling his secretary giving him a message. The two looked towards the telephone speaker.

 

“Kris, you have an appointment in five minutes.” JinHee’s voice came through.

 

“With who?” Kris asked.

 

“Someone who goes by Mr. Lee. Called in for an appointment earlier so I scheduled him.” JinHee said as a matter of fact.

 

“JinHee, I told you not to make appointments without consulting me first.” Kris sighed, knowing his cousin always makes decisions for him.

 

“It’s just an appointment. Just a talk. He’s coming up the elevator now, so get ready.” JinHee stopped the intercom conversation.

 

Kris groaned before standing up, making Hana let go of him. He started to clean up the papers scattered on his desk. Kris never liked having surprise appointments. Then again, JinHee always made good decisions for him, so he figured this Mr. Lee was worth his time.

 

“Another appointment?” Hana sighed, folding her arms. “Does that mean I have to wait in the break room again?”

 

“Yes.” Kris shuffled around with his papers busily. “It shouldn’t take too long. Just wait there for ten to twenty minutes.”

 

Hana whined. “Fine~” she made her way towards the front of the desk to pick up her purse. In the process of doing so, she purposely knocked the picture frame on his desk, causing it to fall face down onto the table. “Oops.” Not sounding apologetic at all, she only flashed Kris a wink before strutting out the office.

 

Kris only watched her walk out before looking down at the fallen photo frame that held the picture of him and Jessica. For a moment, he hesitated whether or not to pick it up. His hand lingered above it, but he retracted it when a knock was sounded on his door.

 

Kris took a seat and placed the stack of papers aside. “Come in.” He spoke, moving the stray files away.

 

“Hello, Mr. Wu.” The familiar struck Kris, making him freeze.

 

Darting his eyes up from his desk, Kris met eyes with Donghae. “What are you doing here?”

 

Donghae only remained neutral with his usual smile. “Well, if I’m mistaken, I did schedule an appointment with you, or rather, JinHee.” He took the initiative to take a seat, seeing that Kris didn’t show him manners.

 

 “Obviously, you’re not here for a job interview.” Kris leaned back in his seat. “So cut to the chase. What are you really doing here?”

 

“I’m here to discuss some important things with you.” Donghae furrowed his eyebrows, subconsciously wondering why it smells like cherries in here. “Unless you’re too busy spraying your cherry perfume around.”

 

Kris scoffed, always in a bad mood around Donghae. “What do you want to discuss? I don’t have all day for this. I have work–”

 

“Jessica.” Donghae cut off his speech and effectively made Kris shut up.

 

Kris narrowed his eyes. “What about Jessica?”

 

Donghae noticed the fallen photo frame on his desk and figured it had something to deal with Jessica. “Tell me, Mr. Wu. What day is it today?”

 

Kris only rolled his eyes. “Look, I don’t have time for this–”

 

“What day is it today?” Donghae was stubborn on getting his message across to Kris.

 

“Saturday.” Kris gritted his teeth. “Why would…” he hit an epiphany.

 

“Getting the picture now?” Donghae only glared straight at Kris. “I don’t know why you guys are fighting, but I suggest–”

 

“Why are you getting into our personal business?” Kris hissed, not liking how this third person was trying to get involved.

 

Donghae blazing glared into Kris’s eyes with a demeanor. “You would understand why if you were there at the checkup today.”

 

Kris slammed his desk and stood straight up. “You’re going to tell me that my baby is fine.” He growled intensely.

 

“Huh. Funny how you care only about the baby but not your wife.” Donghae’s presence was strong, even if he was just sitting there.

 

“If my baby is okay, then my wife is okay.” Kris frowned, trying to glare a hole into Donghae.

 

Donghae only looked back with equal intensity. “You’re wrong. If the mother is healthy, then the baby is healthy.”

 

Kris was boiling in rage and couldn’t stand having Donghae in front of him. “Get out.” he shut his eyes. “If you’re not going to tell me anything, then stop wasting my time. I have work to do.” He looked up to see Donghae still sitting there. “If you’re not moving then I’ll get someone to you out.”

 

“What happened between you and Jessica two days ago?” Donghae questioned, wanting to know why Jessica starting to do what she’s been doing.

 

“That’s none of your business!” Kris roared, not having it. “I’m going to call security.” He lifted the phone to throw Donghae out of his office and even the building.

 

“Jessica hasn’t been eating for two whole days. It’s hurting the baby.” Donghae finally revealed it.

 

Kris froze. He placed the phone back in place before he dropped into his chair. Kris’s eyes softened at the news of his baby’s well being. He looked up at Donghae with serious eyes.

 

“You better not be joking.” Kris looked bothered with a hint of concern.

 

“I don’t joke around with my job.” Donghae spoke seriously. “I don’t know what happened between the two of you, but I know that Jessica is deeply affected by you and she refused to eat anything for the past two days. She looks and speaks tiredly. We did a full checkup on the baby today and the results were not the best. The baby is losing nutrients and will be in danger if this keeps going on. I don’t know what is going on with Jessica, but she’s not herself. I know that you can help her.”

 

Kris looked as if he was in a dilemma. He was contemplating hard, wondering what to do. Who knows what is going through his head? Kris was trying to figure something out. His eyes turned blank and vacant with no emotion. Donghae could still see the hardheaded Kris sitting before him. The doctor didn’t care what he was thinking, as the baby is the most important figure in this equation.

 

“Get your head on straight and fix this. The baby is at stake. Jessica needs to eat.” Donghae got up from his seat, about to take his leave as he strolled towards the door, but stopped in his steps midway. “Oh, by the way, I suggest that you stop playing around with the other girl. You know, the one with the cherry perfume. You have a wife and an expecting child. It’s time to grow up and be a father.” He turned back and headed out the office, slamming the door back in place.

 



{Author's Note}: Donghae is just the smartest guy right now :) Gave a little insight to who Park Hana is...but can't quite put a finger as to who she really is, huh?

Thank you for the upvote!! <3
joyheartsoshi
Kpoplover436