Parent Talk

Choices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down as he waited for the curtains to open. The beam of the spotlight blinded his eyes for a moment and the expectant claps of the people were deafening. He refused to look at the audience for he was afraid to know if his father had come – he was scared that the answer to the question in his mind would negatively affect his performance.

Slowly, he exhaled before closing hi eyes; his fingers danced on the keys as he played “You Raised Me Up.” When his performance ended, another booming applause greeted him. He stood up to bow but as he glanced at the audience, he saw a badly written big card which read: ‘We’re here.’

Sehun looked at the one who was holding a sign and found Suzy who was smiling brightly. However, the bigger surprise was the person standing beside Suzy at that moment – his father. Tears accumulated in Sehun’s eyes but his lips curved into a big smile as he watched his father clapping for him proudly.

When he exited the stage, he wasted no time to look for Suzy and his father and he found them waiting for him. Suzy smiled and bowed in farewell for she knew that both of the males needed time.

Once they were alone, his father stated, “Let’s talk outside.”

 

 

Mr. Oh stared outside Sehun's apartment, contemplating on whether he should grant the invitation of his son or not. His second thoughts were eating him whole, crushing every courage he had tried to gather before that day came. His daze was halted when the gate opened, reveling a long-haired girl who smiled and bowed as soon as she saw him. He was about to ignore the girl, like he would usually do when he meet others, but then he noticed that she was wearing the same uniform as Sehun's.

"Excuse me,” he called her, “Do you happen to know my son?"

The girl tilted her head in confusion.

Mr. Oh clarified, "My son. Oh Sehun."

Upon hearing the name, her eyes widened in surprise at first before they turned into crescent slits as her lips formed a smile that might be the biggest that Mr. Oh had ever seen for years.

“Yes,” she answered with cheer.

"H-How is he?” he stuttered, “Do you know if he eats his meals regularly?"

She replied, "I think more than eating his meals, what he needs most right now, is a father."

 

 

"I thought you don't like to see me playing piano," Sehun broke the long silence that the two of them were in.

His glanced at him as he asked, "Who told you that?"

"No one,” he shrugged, gaze still glued on the ground as he gave out a timid yet sad smile, “I just felt it. You refuse to hear me play."

"Because you remind me of your mom," Mr. Oh honestly replied.

Ah. I was right, Sehun thought as a lump formed in his throat.

"And it breaks my heart every time I hear you play," Mr. Oh added, “because your music had turned so sorrowful and I knew that I was the reason why. It’s my fault that

So you knew.

"How about now?" Sehun nervously asked.

His dad shook his head. "It was warm. Just like your mom's. I liked it."

"But you just said that you don't like to remember mom."

"I can do nothing about it. Your mom might have never loved me but she's the first and last woman that I loved and that's enough for me to remember her eternally, even if it hurts."

Sehun looked at the ground and whispered, "I'm sorry."

His dad let out a heavy sigh, "The truth is, I divorced your mom because I thought I should let her go, since she loved somebody else. I kept you because I can never bear losing the two of you at the same time. But I guess, it only harmed you.”

A smile then painted his lips as he added, “Then, I decided to let you go too and now, I see that you are happy."

Ah. So that's why you allowed me to leave.

"Sometimes, you should think that the other person hoped that you held on,” Sehun replied before looking at his father in the eyes, “I am happy because you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter