exhausting mind battle

Just Give Me A Reason

 

 

 

 

Seungri wished he did not feel so damn useless. There were tears in her eyes again though she was trying her best to fight them.

 

 

‘I thought you’re going to die.’

 

 

‘Would you feel better if I meet the premonition?’ he said flatly.

 

 

‘Don’t ever talk like that.’ Suzy said with a pained look. ‘I never wished you dead.’

 

 

‘You make it sound ironic.’

 

 

Ironic? ‘Where is the irony in you lying here?’

 

 

‘I’m not in a bad condition as I look.’

 

 

‘Explain your definition of not bad condition.’ She waved trembling hand at all the evidence in front of her, including the computerized machine monitoring him and feeding all sorts of drugs into him. ‘You’re lying fl--flat on your back and you’ve got cage over your leg.’

 

 

‘I’m lying flat as precaution and the only thing wrong with my leg is a gash to my left thigh, which had to be stitched up.’

 

 

Her restless eyes moved to his chest. ‘And all that strapping?’

 

 

‘A couple of cracked ribs and dislocated shoulder.’

 

 

She went pale as her stomach twisted at the image he’d just placed in her head. ‘Anything else?’ she squeezed out.

 

 

‘Aching head?’

 

 

Aching head … No broken bones... No crushing brain damage. No life-threatening injury to justify his uncle’s persistence that she come here … ‘You’re supposed to be in serious condition,’ she let out the annoyance in single breath.

 

 

‘You don’t see these injuries serious?’

 

 

‘No.’ The first time they met Seungri had been cruising his yacht while recovering after breaking his leg so badly that required several surgeries and countless metal pins to get the leg to mend. ‘Your uncle said that you are in serious and critical condition!’ She quoted Eric Lee word. ‘Of course that implied you were in a coma or s-something.’

 

 

‘People in coma don’t speak, Suzy.’

 

 

‘Shut up.’ Jumping to her feet, Suzy paced restlessly away from the bed and swing right back again. ‘Why did you want to see me?’

 

 

Seungri closed his eyelids all the way now as if he didn’t have the strength to hold them up any longer.

 

 

Suzy chewed on her bottom lip for a few seconds wondering what she should do next.

 

 

‘You’re tired,’ she murmured. ‘You should rest …’

 

 

‘I am.’

 

 

She look at him in concern. ‘I should leave you in peace.’

 

 

Seungri open his eyes and irritation swamps over his face. ‘But you just arrived.’

 

 

‘I know …’ she was uncomfortable by the situation. ‘But you know you don’t really need me here, Seungri. It’s just ….’

 

 

‘We need to talk, Suzy.’

 

 

None that Suzy could bring to mind, except…… ‘Are you saying because I sent you divorce papers,  you crashed your boat?’

 

 

‘No, it’s not that,’ he snapped and then let out a groan.

 

 

Suzy’s eyes went straight to the monitor. ‘You OK?’

 

 

‘Yes,’ he muttered but she could see that his breathing had gone shallow, his beautifully shaped mouth droop with tension. ‘Damn ribs kill me every time I breathe.’

 

 

‘You look ready to pass out,’ Suzy said.

 

 

‘It’s the drugs.’

 

 

A silence fell between them. After shifting from one legs to the other a couple of times, Suzy gave in and sit down. It was exhausting to be locked in this constant battle with herself she admitted as she sat watching Seungri’s breathing become less shallow and the tension in his face relax.