Prologue

Just Give Me A Reason

 

 

 

 

 

Lee SeungHyun stood inside the tent with his safety helmet held in his arm and his eyes fixed on the monitor on the screen.

 

 

‘What do you think?’ Hwang Chansung, his co-driver, came up beside him. This would be the first time in three years that they would be racing in the same boat. Seungri just give him a shrugged.

 

 

‘OK, we have the go!’ A cue from their team manager. Both Seungri and Chansung began to walk away from the tent.

 

 

Seungri put on his helmet. The two of them climbed into the boat’s open cockpit. They strapped themselves in. Their race advisor was droning the usual information into his earpiece about wind speeds, the predicted height and length of the ocean.

 

 

They did their pre-start checks, working with the unison of two people used to knowing what the other was thinking all the time. The twin engines fired, bringing roar to Seungri’s ears. They took the speedboat out towards the starting line, ready to fire up into action.

 

 

Seungri glanced sideways at Chansung. Seungri didn’t know why he did it, maybe the sixth sense they’d used to share making him do it. Chansung turned his head looking at him but broke the contact by turning away.

 

 

The engines gave angry roar and they shot forward. It took all of Seungri’s concentration to keep them on a straight line.

 

 

Too fast, his brain was registering suddenly. He was taking them out much too fast …