Bad Luck

My Heart Belongs To You.

Chapter 30: Bad Luck

 

A week has past since I came back home, which means a week has past since I last saw Woohyun. A part of me lived day by day hoping and wishing I would run into him again. No, the truth is I wanted to see him and no, not Woohyun. But him. I just wanted to see him, nothing more and nothing less. Watch him from afar maybe, but then again a part of me also didn't want to see him, the scar he had left me with him was too deep and too wide for me to allow myself to accept him again. I lay awake at night rehearsing time after time exactly what I would say to him.

Do you still hate me?

Are you still mad at me?

Can't you forgive me?

Can we start over?

I miss you.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

I love you.

But then I know in my heart that my pride would get in the way and I know that I am not fully to blame for what had happened between us. I know I shouldn't have met up with Junhyun again and I know just how much pain he has been through before, but he should have trusted me. I was his girlfriend.

Was.

That word stops the tears threatening to fall and wakes me up again. 

I get up from my bed, ready to start the day. I had transferred to a university in Seoul and I was to start school now. I was a month late and classes had already started, I was shocked that they even allowed me to enroll this year. However, I am thankful and it was time to start going out again and be happy, meet new friends and worry about exams rather then other things.

"Good morning" Yuna cheered, she was such a morning person which I didn't understand.

"Mhmm" I replied still really tired from my restless night.

"You look horrible" she gasped.

I scoffed at her and carried on eating my breakfast.

"Are you ready for class today?" She asked sounding oddly like a mother, I smiled remembering my own mother and how much I missed her.

"Yes mum, are you?" She giggled.

"Yup, I am so excited to go to class with you. We will probably share a lot of classes together since we are in the same major" she stopped "look at the time we should get going, we can't be late on your first day." She rushed me out of the house before I could even finish my breakfast.

 

 

 

I got to main office and they gave me my timetable and other things I needed. I didn't have class for another hour. So I headed to library to waste time reading books and outlining what I needed to catch up on. I sat on the far corner hoping no one would bother me here. I flicked through pages of a Korean Literature book and found myself lost in it. Out of nowhere I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and tall guy, a tall handsome guy, staring right back at me.

"Can I sit here?" He whispered.

I nodded embarrassed as I had laid out all my stuff on the seat next to me, I quickly removed them and he sat down thanking me. I went back to reading my book not able to focus on it as I found myself stealing glances at the guy next to me. Did I mention he was cute? Oh I did, my bad. Before I knew it I was just staring at him. He felt my gaze on him and looked back, I quickly shifted my gaze back to my book, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"Stupid" I hit myself mentally.

"It's a good book" he said smiling at me.

Wow, that smile. Stop it. I hit myself mentally again.

I stared at him blankly and he pointed at the book I was reading. "It's a good book" he repeated thinking I didn't comprehend or hear him.

"Ye- yes, I'm only a couple chapters in but it's good" I said awkwardly.

"I'm Minhoon, and you are?" He held out his hands for me to shake it. How formal. 

"I'm Mina" I whispered, shaking his hand.

"Pretty name. I don't think I've seen you on campus before?" He titled his head. 

"I'm new I transferred from Tokyo" I explained.

"Ah I see, it's nice to meet you" he smiled again and I couldn't help but smile back.

We talked about ourselves a bit, we found out we had a lot in common and we were in the same major.

"Show me your classes" he said. I quickly took out my timetable and he examined it smiling.

"We share all but two classes together, I can show you how to get to classes" he looked at the time "it's time for our first class."

He got up and started walking away, I looked at him confused on whether or not I should follow him. He looked back realising I wasn't there.

"Well come on!" he said laughing, I nodded and followed behind him obediently. 

 

 

 

 

After the day had gone by and my classes had ended, I met up with Yuna so we could go to the 'Club Fair', this was a chance for different clubs to recruit members or for the school to gather volunteers for different events. We walked around the fair and Yuna pointed to an interesting poster in the hallway, it read:

'Autumn Festival event, last minute volunteers needed to help with planning and preparing'

"You want to sign up?" I asked Yuna.

"Yeah, I did it for the summer one. It was super fun, we got to recruit singers and we held a music festival, it sold so many tickets. Plus you get to meet new people from different majors. We should do it!" Yuna sais grabbing my hand.

"Nah, I'll pass" I said removing her hand from me.

"Come on, it could be fun! Please! Plus you never know they could've gotten Xiah Junsu to perform" I remained unbothered.

Yuna's eyes opened wide "Mina?" completely confused at my disinterest in my favourite idol, well my used to be favourite idol.

"Idols are not all that you know. They are never what we think they are, such a disappointment" I shrugged.

Yuna stood there confused "you've changed" she said staring at me looking upset.

I felt bad for turning her down and gave in "fine let's do it, but I'm only doing it for you" I grabbed her hand and walked over to the sign up sheet, but someone beat me to it.

"You guys gonna sign up too?" Minhoon turned around and passed me the pen.

"No we were jus-" before I could keep lying he cut me off.

"You should, it could be fun" he smiled.

I took the pen from him and signed myself and Yuna up for the festival prep. 

"There's a meeting tomorrow at lunch time, make sure to come along" a girl spoke, who was one of the volunteers for the festival.

"See you there" Minhoon said to her and turned his attention back to us "I didn't know you two knew each other."

"More like I didn't know you two knew each other" Yuna said jokingly.

"We met this morning and had classes together and Yuna is my best friend of... too many years" I said jokingly causing her to hit me "I'm hungry, let's get going Yuna."

"Where are you guys headed?" Minhoon said walking with us.

"Home?" I said not really knowing and glanced at her. I can tell from her face she was scheming something.

"We are going to grab something to eat a long the way, would you like to join us Minhoon?" she asked smiling.

"Sure, I'm getting hungry too." Yuna linked arms with me and Minhoon lead the way. 

We walked around for a while, I didn't talk much, Yuna and Minhoon were deep in conversation about how she and I met. I tuned once in a while but never really paid attention. Yuna was right, I did change. I used to be so easily excited, out spoken and always had something to say even when I didn't. I became colder, and more defensive then usual and talking just seemed like a chore now. I was always an introvert but with the outgoing personality of an extrovert, but now I am an introvert on the outside and inside. Being abandoned by the people you love once, hurts but you deal with it, twice, it hurts but you get back up again, three times, now three times tears you apart and even though I am a strong person I can't handle it. Even strong people have weaknesses, and my weakness is loving too much and too hard that I fall in too deep.

What have you done to me? I am out with my best friend and a friend and still all I think about is you. My thoughts always go back to you. I'm walking with friends and all I can think about is if you're eating properly. How do I get you out of my mind? Can't you just leave me alone? If you were going to leave why did you even bother telling me you loved me? If you didn't trust me why would you even bother to say those words? Some days I hate you and then some days I long for you. Kim Myu-

"Mina!" Yuna's voice stopped the thoughts in my head.

"Yeah?" I said shocked by the sound of her voice.

"Are you ok? I said we're here" Yuna said with a worried expression. I smiled and nodded. We arrived at the small restaurant that sold local food, in a unfamiliar neighbourhood. We sat down and ordered our food. 

"So how does this festival thing work?" I asked.

"Well first we need sponsors, then raising money but we had enough funds left from the last festival so that wasn't needed, invite artists through their agency, finalise their attendance, prepare a stage on the school campus, set a date and sell tickets. But since this festival is this weekend it must mean they already did all of that and we need to do is make sure everything is ready and supervise." Yuna explained.

I nodded in understanding "that doesn't sound too bad, since it's volunteering we will get extra credits."

"Is that all you think about?" Minhoon asked while chuckling and I nodded "all we talked about today was grades, assignments, exams and extra credit. You're truly a nerd" he chuckling again.

Our food arrived and we got lost in a conversation, talking about nonsense and creating small talk. My back was facing the door and all I could hear was people coming in and out constantly, even though this restaurant was in a random neighbourhood it was popular, it seems, which reminded me:

"Why did you bring us here?" I asked.

"I live near here, I come here often when I'm sick or homesick, the food just taste like food your mum would make and I was craving it" he smiled awkwardly.

"It really does taste like food mum would make" Yuna said quickly trying to take it back remembering my situation. "I'm sorry" she said sounding really worried.

"Yuna stop being so wary of me whenever someone says the word mum, it's not that serious" I said a bit annoyed that even after all these years she's still so cautious around me.

Minhoon looked at us confused and I said "my mum passed a long time ago and Yuna still looks at me like I'm pitiful."

"That's not true Mina!" she said defensively.

"Then don't look at me like that whenever someone mentions their mother" I said eating.

"I'm sorry" Minhoon said, I looked up at him and smiled "did you cause her death? Why are you sorry? Just eat. Both of you."

The air got really uncomfortable and awkward. Suddenly, a loud group of boys came in and sat across from us. I didn't pay attention to it, as I was so hungry and worried the food would get cold.

Minhoon spoke in a quiet voice "I forgot to mention that I live next to an entertainment company. So there are trainees and idols in and out of this place, it's literally a couple minutes walk from here, just down the road." 

I nodded not really caring and Yuna asked quietly "which company?"

"Manager! Please play our new song" a familar voice said playfully, "yes, yes" the store owner said turning on their song.

The Eye by Infinite started playing, I froze in place and I could feel Yuna's gaze on me.

I turned to my right and saw Dongwoo, Sunggyu, Sungjong and Sungyeol sitting right beside us. My heart dropped in my stomach and Yuna gasped. I turned around and faced the wall afraid they would spot me. Yes, my hair had changed completely and I had lost weight but I was still the same person. Yuna immediately turned around as well confusing Minhoon.

"What's wrong?" Minhoon said tapping my shoulder. I glanced at him signaling for him to be quiet. "What is it?" he pressed on. I pointed to the infinite members and he said "ah you're a fan? Do you want me to get their autograph?." He must be crazy, he is crazy. I stopped him before he got up and told him that wasn't the case and that Yuna and I needed to leave right now.

I put my coat and my scarf on, slide on my backpack and covered my face with my hood. I got up from my seat, and slowly made my way to the door.

"Are you guys finished already?" the store owner asked, I kept facing the door nodding furiously. Minhoon got the hint and let her know we needed to leave, and paid for the food.

"Minhoon? Wow it's been a while!" I heard Dongwoo say.

"Ah yeah it's been a while" he replied back. Excuse me? They knew each other? What kind of bad luck is this?

"What are you doing here?" Dongwoo carried on, I quietly walked towards the door, I glanced back and Yuna was stuck facing the wall, I giggled I couldn't help myself she looked so funny.

"I just bought friends here to try the food. But, we need to get going, she's not feeling well" Minhoon said pointing to Yuna, I laughed again this time Yuna laughed with me. I turned around and faced the door again.

Minhoon helped Yuna up and she hid her face behind him. They came towards me and we headed straight out.

I removed my hood and almost falling to the ground sighing of relief, feeling like I had just accomplished mission impossible.

"That was close!" Yuna said panting.

"Too close!" I said, we looked each other and laughed. But the laughing didn't last long after realising I got to see them again and my mood went down tragically.

"Can someone explain to me what just happened? Do you know infinite?" Minhoon asked perplexed.

"No" I said "Yes" Yuna said at the same time.

"It's complicated" I looked away "I'll explain it another time. But how do you know them?"

"Ah, we live in the same apartment complex, they live on the floor above we met like that" he explained, what sort of luck do I call this? Or is it a curse? Am I cursed? I should go see an exorcist or shaman or a fortune teller whatever will help me live a easier life.

I sighed "Well we will walk home with you, it's on the way to the bus station anyway" Minhoon nodded and led the way.

We walked not even 5 minutes before we arrived at his apartment complex, he wasn't kidding when he said it was super close. I analysed the street and the area subconsciously. So this where you live now? No more secret hideout far out in the city. My chest stung again remembering the first time I had moved in.

We talked for a while in front of the apartment complex. Minhoon joked about how Yuna looked so odd facing the wall, I cracked up remembering the sight, she really looked crazy. "You really have to tell me soon what happened in there" Minhoon said "I will, soon" I said reassuring him, even though it hasn't been long since we met, I owed him at least this much. Plus he seemed like a really great guy. We locked eyes for a few seconds, his eyes boring into mine I looked away feeling embarrassed. What was this feeling?

"Go on guys, it's cold and late, you'll miss the bus" Minhoon said shooing us away. Before we could wave him goodbye, shadows were exiting the appartment doors behind him and walked out, my eyes met with one of the people coming out. And not just anyone, but him

He was right there, walking out and he stopped in his tracks when he spotted me, his eyes widened when he realised who was looking at, confusion, sadness and awe were plastered on his face. I stared back at him and anger and sadness coming over me and his dark eyes were fixated on me. I looked behind and there standing was Hoya and Woohyun.

"Mina?" Hoya said shock spreading across his face.

"Goodbye Minhoon" I said and Yuna grabbed me by the hand and we walked the other direction, but to my luck the others who had just come out of the restaurant and walked here, were standing there looking me all in shock.

Just my luck.

Seriously, I'm definitely cursed.