The Matchmaking Girl

Let You Go?

Taeyeon’s pov

This morning I heard mom screaming from her room, turns out she just had a very awful dream, and I heard a bit about cursing Tiffany between the sentences she blurted out in her dream. This is bad, what have I done, I don’t have any idea that mom didn’t know she’s here already. Now when I look at mom, she’s at the very start of losing it. She’s unstable. I open my cellphone and dial for her number, a few seconds of dialling tone and finally she picks it up.

Hello?

Tiffany, I need to talk to you.

 

I park my car on the roadside where I can see the coffee shop from here, I cross the street and quickly walks to the coffee shop. I look around and Tiffany isn’t yet to come, so I decided to just buy a cup of latte. I queue behind a tall, skinny lady in front of me, and she was having some hard time deciding which coffee she should buy. I don’t mind though, I have plenty of time to queue. When she finally made her decision and turn around, we immediately exchange our stares and yells to each other.

Taeyeon-ah is that you??!? I can’t believe I met you here! Oh gosh you haven’t change a bit!

Yes it’s still me!” I giggled, “Well look at you, aren’t you that boyish girl from 12-D in high school? How’s Japan? I missed you so much!” we start hugging in front of the cashier, it’s my old friend from high school times and I just can’t believe we met here after all this 5 years. After I took my coffee, we head up to a table and starts chattering.

So listen, my mom is setting me up with a guy, and she said he’s perfect and all that, but you know me! I’m not a matchmaking person! I just can’t live with such an old fashion tradition of matchmaking anymore, it’s a modern time, right? We should make our own choices!

You know what, you’re absolutely right. And I’m wrong about one thing.

She frowns her forehead as she sips her coffee, “Wrong? About what?

I thought you’ve changed because with the way you dressed like a high class woman like this, I’m guessing that you’ll be more graceful and quiet. But—“ I laugh,You’re still as talkative as you were in high school!

I know right?” she sticks her tongue out mischievously.

The little bell above the coffee shop’s door is ringing, signing that someone has opened the door and come in to buy a cup of coffee, I turn around and found Tiffany standing there looking for my presence. She cut her hair, even though it’s not really obvious, and she dyed her hair too, to black. I was missing a lot of time when she’s in Italy and now she’s even prettier than she could ever be.

Suddenly all the memories at dad’s funeral came up to me just like that.

I quickly bring myself up to my senses again, I wave my hand towards her and she starts walking slowly to our table. My friend looks up to her and questioning me with her eyes.

Oh, this is my sister. Tiffany? You remember her, right?

I remember when she used to visit my house and Tiffany always playing by herself in her own room, when I ask her to join us and my friend will be rejecting her because Tiffany is not really friendly.

Hello, Sooyoung-ssi.” Tiffany grins widely, showing off her pearl white teeth and her cute eyesmile, wow look at this, she’s friendlier.

Sooyoung seems surprised with the sudden change of her and replies her with a friendly nod. She signs me that she has to go, and I grab her arm and take her to the door. “Here’s my number, call me after this, okay? See you later!” she cross the street and wave goodbye to me for the last time. I walk back to the table and found Tiffany is staring outside. I cough slightly to make her noticing my presence. She’s back to her old behavior when it’s only the two of us. I thought she would also change for me, don’t mind the delusion I guess.

So, I’m here to talk to you about, something we haven’t finish right after our father’s death.

I knew everything.” She answered me right away.

Mhm, yes I knew you knew. So that’s why I wanted to talk about it with you.

What more can we discussed, Taeyeon-ah? Is this about how you being ‘you-can’t-get-any-money-from-us’? If that is your original purpose then I’m not going to sue for anything.

 I glare at her in disbelief. The fact that she consider herself as an outsider hurts me more than she thought. Although she’s not really my sister, but she’s still my father’s daughter. We’re still related.

No. That’s not what I want to say to you right now, it’s just, mom wanted to see you. She said that the three of us should talk all about this with kinship. We cannot just break apart like this, dad is not going to be happy if he see us like this.

Tiffany took out a cigarette, just like her old self, which I missed but I wish I can erase this one awful habit of hers. As soon after she burn it, she talks faster, “Firstly, listen to me. I don’t give a damn about what will he do if he knows, second, he’s dead. So the point is, he can’t see us.” She blows the smokes out from and lean back to her chair. I caught a glance of a ring on her finger. And the thoughts just strike like thunders, she’s going to get married, but then I don’t know who’s the guy and this one can be her several ‘soon-to-be-married’. I’m not so sure should I ask her about it or not.

I’m going to get married with Siwon. By the end of the year or maybe next year.” She spits it out by herself without even bother waiting for me to ask, guess she’s pretty happy about it. Oh, so Siwon proposed to her, so in the end they’re really in love.

Is there anything more that you wanted to tell me?” she gets up from her chair. I look down and think about any other things to say. When I raise my head up to face her and tell her to go home, her hating face towards me just breaks me down, the courage that I’ve collected since she came into this coffee shop just broke down immediately.

Yes, I want you to go home, say something to mom, at least about your wedding.” I gulp down timidly and tries to read her expression, what scares me the most is just staring to her deep eyes and being intimidated. I pretend to be strong.

She’s not my mom. My real mom is dead a few years ago, Taeyeon-ssi.” She hold her cigarette and put down her hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry, I won’t forget to invite you to my wedding.

***

 

Sooyoung’s pov

But mom....I can’t go to the blind date this afternoon, I have a class!

You can skip your class for just one day, you’re a diligent student after all, how bad it is for just one day absent?

But—“

Choi Sooyoung you listen to me, if you let me down on this blind date like you did several times before, you’re going to take the consequences from me! You heard that? So go meet your blind date guy, don’t be such a timid! He’s a good guy!

If mom starts yelling at me like this, there’s no way I can even argue with her. If I argue her, she’ll be raging like a mad person. Might just follow her rules, it’s just a blind date, what could happen? It’s just a plain blind date set up by our moms, it’ll be over before I know it.

Okay mom, I’ll come.

That’s more like it.” Her voice tunes down and I haled out half relieved, “3 pm, don’t be late.

Yes mom.

 

I walk down the road after the bus drops me off at the end of this street. When I follow the address, it’s a fancy place for just a lunch break. I went to this place once with another blind date that my mom has set me up with, and they put up a ridiculous price for a scrambled eggs that I can just make by myself. The guy is already sitting on his chair, showing me his back, looks like he’s on a lunch break from his office. I walk to the front and pulled out my chair before I sit down and have a look on his face.

His facial expression is really okay, to be honest he’s too handsome to be true. His hair is tidily combed and the top part is organized carefully, his scent must be from a very expensive brand of perfume. I think mom done a beautiful job this time, she catch a royal son from a royal family.

I cough awkwardly just to get him take his eyes off from the book that he’s been reading since I came. “Choi Sooyoung.” I reached out my right hand and surprisingly, he looks up from his book and grab my hand.

Choi Siwon.” He closed his book and smirks, “Interesting. So this is what my mom have been told to me. You’re the golden daughter that my mom always told me, everyday.

I scratch my head casually and shrugs, “She could be wrong.” I saw him raising both of his thick eyebrows upon my words.

***

 

Taeyeon turn on her laptop and starts signing in to skype, just this afternoon after the intense morning cup of coffee with her half sister, Tiffany, she decided to give her old friend a call. Sooyoung gave Taeyeon her skype id and telling her she’s going online tonight.

C. Sooyoung is online

Taeyeon clicked the calling button immediately and not a moment later Sooyoung’s face is smiling on her screen.

I’m having a very dreamy blind date, Taeyeon-ah!

Taeyeon chews to some potato chips beside her laptop and answers, “I thought you hate blind dates, whatever happen to ‘make our own choices’?” she chuckles.

It’s just...” Sooyoung smiles shyly like a teenage girl and Taeyeon starts laughing out loud before she goes “Eww you should look at your face.” Sooyoung turns serious again and starts telling her how dreamy the guy for the blind date this time was, even though she mentioned some part of he’s telling her about his ideal type of girl. Sooyoung is a bit depressed by that reality.

Okay, okay, you’ve told me too much. You haven’t mention his name!” Taeyeon shook her head and chew another potato chips.

Goodness!  Of course! His name is Choi Siwon, you heard me? Choi. We even have the same family name! It’s like we’ve been destined together.” She starts giggling again by herself. Taeyeon slowly rise from her chair and glared her eyes open as wide as it could be.

Choi Siwon?” she repeats the name again.

Mhm! He’s the dreamiest guy I’ve ever met. I think I’m falling in love, Taeyeon-ah.” Sooyoung starts hugging a dog’s doll and spinning around in her room. Leaving Taeyeon freezed on her spot like a video that has been paused. This time she’s  done teasing her old friend, her mind is turning around try to figure out what happened when she’s not around for so long.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


hey guys~!

   Sooyoung is in da house y'all!!!! 

waiting to hear your opinions about this chapter <3 :D