S4C1: Danny's POV

Before The Sunset

"Danny, I just don't see why learning how to drive is so important to you," His mom said.

"Really?" Danny asked. "Mom, I'm starting my junior year in high school and I don't know how to drive. Doesn't that seem odd for a teenager?"

"Yeah, but then again you're not like most teenagers," she pointed out. Danny narrowed his eyes.

"Complimenting me won't get you out of teaching me how to drive lady," he told her. She laughed and continued to drive to his school.

"You shouldn't be worrying about that stuff anyway," she said. "It's your junior year, what about your college exams?" Danny groaned and dropped his head on the dashboard. Like he needed another reminder of the pure evil that is ACT and SAT tests. As smart as he is, Danny learned a long time ago that he's a horrible test taker. He can't explain it, he just panics. So the fact that his entire college career depends on the scores he makes on TWO tests frightens him to no end. His mom patted him on the back. "You'll be fine, love. Look, we're here." Danny lifted his head to gaze at the same high school he's been going to for the last two years. He grabbed his stuff and said goodbye to his mom. He started walking across the parking lot when a car slammed on it's brakes in front of him, causing him to jump back. The driver was Bang, who was speeding as usual and wasn't paying attention. Or maybe he was and wanted to kill Danny but chickened out at the last minute. Bang rolled down his window.

"Get the out of the way!" he demanded. Danny rolled his eyes and stepped onto the curb of the sidewalk as Bang sped passed. That was the first time Bang has spoken to him since Danny came out to him last year. Instead of going back to his usual bullying ways, Bang just ignored Danny all together. Danny walked to his new locker and started stuffing it with his books when Brooke came over.

"Danny where are these books coming from the library isn't even open yet?" she asked.

"It's called a public library," Danny replied. Brooke laughed.

"Whatever. How was your summer?"

"Good, we went back to New York and spent time with my grandparents. You?"

"Eh, my mom was having issues so I was always out and about," she replied. Danny looked at her sympathetically.

"You know you always have a place at my house, right?"

"I know," she said with a nod. She grabbed Danny's last book and shoved it inside his locker. "Let me see your schedule." Danny handed over his schedule as she unfolded hers to look at both.

"Are we in any classes?" he asked.

"Just one," she answered. "The nurse, which is after lunch this year." She gave him back his schedule seconds before the bell rang.

"We should get going," Danny said, slipping on his backpack. Brooke nodded and hugged him goodbye, walking in the opposite direction. His first class was Physics in the science wing. He climbed up the stairs and saw a line leading to his class. He saw the teacher in the front giving the students a sitting chart. Danny sighed. This was probably the most crucial year in his life and he wanted to sit in front of all his classes. He didn't want to sit in the back with someone who was just going to copy off his work all year. It was his turn to be seated.

"Hello Mr. Wilson, I have you at the third lab table with Mr. Jung," the teacher said. Danny nodded and walked over to the third table. Mr. Jung was already sitting there, his eyes quickly caught Danny's glance as he walked up to the table. He smiled, causing Danny to avert his eyes as he took a seat. Danny fished in his back pack to take out a piece of paper and a pen. Danny glanced at the other boy, but looked away when he realized that he was still looking at him. Danny didn't seem to recognize him, but then again his school is pretty large. The guy was still looking at him when the teacher walked in.

"Good morning class, and welcome back! My name is Mr. Peterson and I'll be your Physics teacher for the year. It's the first day so I'm just going to pass out these personality questions to get to know you better." He started to pass the papers across the room. Danny got his and passed another one to Mr. Jung. He was wearing a black, long sleeved v-neck, with a pair of skinny jeans and Adidas. He still looked at Danny, with an amused expression on his face.

"Hello," His voice was like golden honey, so sweet. Danny looked at him and the other boy smiled. "My name's Daehyun. My family and I just moved here from Oregon."

"Hi," Danny replied, returning his smile. "I'm Danny. My parents and I moved here from New York when I was eight years old."

"Why move?" He asked.

"My mom's a doctor and got a job here that paid more than it did back home," Danny explained. He wondered why this guy was even asking about his move in the first place. But, nonetheless, Danny was polite. "You?"

"Both my parents are in the military and got stationed here," he explained. He pulled out a bag of chips and popped some into his mouth. He looked at Danny and extended the bag to him. "Want some?"

"No thanks," Danny said, shaking his head.

"Come on, what do you have against food," he asked. Danny just looked at him and then Daehyun laughed. "I promise you won't regret it." Danny sighed and reached into the bag to pull out a potato chip. He didn't know why, but Danny just couldn't say no to him. He ate it slowly so the teacher wouldn't hear him.

"Thanks," he said.

"You're very welcome," Daehyun replied, putting the bag back in his back pack. "So what's your favorite color?" Danny blinked and looked at him.

"Why?" he asked. Daehyun smiled again, showing off his beautiful white teeth.

"Because I want to know," he said.

"Blue," Danny answered. It continued like that for the rest of the period. Daehyun would ask a question, Danny would answer then ask the same one. He found out that Daehyun likes black and white and that he's adopted. The bell rang and Danny gathered his stuff to head to his next class.

"Hey Danny," Daehyun grabbed his wrist and Danny turned to face him. He smiled sheepishly and looked down before returning his gaze back to Danny. "I'm still getting the hang of things around here, do you think you can show me my next class?"

"Yeah, that's fine," Danny said. Daehyun nodded and grabbed his things before joining Danny in the hall. They continued to ask each other questions as they walked to their next class. Junior year was starting to look pretty good.