S1C2: Bang's POV

Before The Sunset

 

Bang was still in angry disbelief by the time his older brother, Yongnam, forced him back to the house. That new kid was so strange. What boy would rather spend their time alone on swings than playing hockey with kids like him? Maybe he didn't like hockey, which Bang didn't really care for too much also. If it was up to him, he'd be defending his title as the Race King, but everyone was tired of losing. He probably didn't know how to play or , he thought. Bang still didn't understand. Danny looked like a nice kid, he would've helped him if he couldn't play hockey. The two brothers walked into the house and straight to the kitchen, following the smell of Bang's mother's homemade chocolate cake.

"Oh good you're here!" His mother said in their native tongue of Korean. "Go wash up. I want us all to look nice when we visit to the new neighbors next door."

"What?" I asked.

"A young couple and their son moved in next door from New York. We need to introduce ourselves," His mother explained, focusing on the task of frosting the word 'Welcome' on the cake. She was too busy to notice the look of annoyance on Bang's face.

"Mom I'm not going. Their kid's weird!" He complained. His mom's head shot up.

"Yongguk! You are going with us to visit this family, and you'll do it with a smile." She warned, turning back to her cake. His father walked in the room with a newspaper in his hand. Bang quickly ran up to him.

"Dad please don't make me go!" He begged, but his dad shooed him away.

"If I have to so do you," he mumbled. His mother let out a long sigh and placed her hands on her hips before looking at us.

"Where did I go wrong with you two? At least Yongnam isn't complaining," she muttered, putting the finishing touches on her cake. Bang glanced at his older brother, who was ten years his senior. Yongnam caught his glance and motioned for him to wash up. Bang stuck out his tongue before walking to the sink to wash his hands. When they were dried he joined his family in walking across the lawn into their new neighbors house. My mother handed Yongnam the cake so she could knock on the door. The man who answered was dressed in overalls and a T-shirt covered in paint and was also sporting a five o'clock shadow.

"Hello, my name is Bang Minji and this is my husband, Daejung and our children. We're your new neighbors!" Bang's mother cheerfully  said in her perfect English. The man's smile grew and he wiped his hands on a near by towel before offering it to his parents.

"Oh wow! Uh-hi! My name's Joseph Wilson. Sorry about the mess, I'm a painter but if I knew we were going to have company-"

"Oh it's no trouble!" Bang's mother reassured. Joseph smiled again.

"Well come in, by all means! Let me introduce you to my wife," He held the door wide open as Bang and his family stepped inside. They followed him to the living room where a woman with long black hair, glasses, and a green dress was setting up a couple of picture frames. "Honey, these are our neighbors." The woman looked up and shared the same beaming smile that was on Bang's mother's face.

"Oh how wonderful! Hi, I'm Brenda." She shook his parents hands and gestured for them to sit on the couch. Bang plumped down, his eyes searching for Danny.

"We just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood," his mother begun. "We moved here from South Korea a couple of years before Yongguk was born so we know how it feels to be in a new environment."

"Oh how sweet," Brenda said warmly. "How old are your kids?" She asked, smiling at Bang and Yongnam.

"Yongnam is already eighteen, but Yongguk is eight," his mother answered.

"Hey, our son Danny's eight. Want to meet him?" Joseph asked. Bang shook his head.

"We already met," He quickly answered, earning him a glare from his mother.

"Oh that's fine," Brenda said. "He's probably upstairs reading his books."

"Your son likes to read?" Bang's father asked, the first words he's said since he left their house. Brenda nodded.

"Yes, it's something he likes to do on his spare time. That or practice his doctor skills," she said with a giggle. "My son wants to be a doctor like me when he grows up."

"Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, maybe he can teach Yongguk a thing or two," His father said. Yongnam looked across the room and reached over to grab a movie.

"We saw this movie at our school, it's really good!" He said, holding up the cover of Girl, Interrupted.

"Oh we have to agree with you there," Joseph said. "That's Danny's favorite movie."

"Your son watched it?" Bang's father asked, clearly shocked since the movie is rated R.

"Yeah, it has a really interesting storyline and Danny wouldn't forgive us if we didn't let him watch his favorite actress, Angelina Jolie," Brenda joked. "We know it's a bit controversial, but we decided that we'd raise Danny to be aware of the world he lives in. We still skipped the random scene but we don't want him to be ignorant to the social issues that happen everyday."

"Wow," Bang's mother said. "That's quite interesting." Bang glanced at his father, who was more old fashioned. He didn't try to cover the frown on his face, especially when the topic of Yongnam's major in college came up.

"A music major, huh?" Joseph said. Yongnam nodded.

"Yes, I want to be a composer."

"Well you picked the right choice with Berkeley," Brenda said. "They'll help you nourish your talents." Their mother and Yongnam beamed at the compliment, but their father just deepened his frown. Their father wanted Yongnam to go to law school, like he did. The conversation continued but Bang was getting bored and, when no one was paying attention, slipped away. He wondered and explored his new neighbors house, until he decided to see who had the first floor bedroom that faced opposite of his. He walked in and quickly mimicked the frown on his father's face when he saw the room's inhabitant. Danny was on the floor looking down on a life-sized doll with lines connecting dots all across the body. Danny looked up and, instead of jumping back in fear, had a look of confusion.

"Why are you in my house?" he asked.

"I'm your neighbor," Bang answered.

"Oh." Danny went back to what he was doing, ignoring Bang who was just standing there. Shifting his weight between each foot, Bang tried to watch what he was doing.

"Why are you playing with dolls?" Bang asked, sitting down next to him. He could hear the annoyance in Danny's breath as he looked up.

"I'm not playing with it, I'm trying to practice and remember the part's of the body that can release tension," He explained, grabbing a book nearby and burying his nose in it. Bang rolled his eyes and looked around the room full of books and pictures with quotes on them. Before he realized, Danny put down his book and softly touched a spot on Bang's neck with the tips of his fingers. A fast sensation traveled through Bang's body and caused him to jolt upwards.

"What's wrong with you?" he demanded.

"Well how am I supposed to know if I'm getting the right spots with a doll?" Danny countered. He looked and Bang and smiled. "Did it work?" Full with rage, Bang tackled Danny to the floor, sitting on top of him to punch the back of his head, but Danny quickly blocked his face with his arms.

"Fight back!" Bang roared, swinging at the boy again.

"No!" Danny yelled, but his voice was muffled under the protection of his arms.

"Why not?" Bang asked, punching him in his side. Danny groaned but still just rolled over on his stomach and tried to crawl away. Bang held him down.

"Just beat me up already!" Danny yelled. Bang stopped his fist midair. With a grunt, Bang turned Danny over to face him.

"So you're not going to fight me?"

"No." Danny said firmly. Bang slammed his fist on the floor, causing Danny to flinch away. Bang got up and glared down at the other boy.

"I hate you. I never want to see you again." With that, Bang his heel and headed for the door.

"That'll be hard since we're neighbors," Danny muttered, but not low enough to escape Bang's ears. Bang decided to ignore him and he continued to storm out of the house, ignoring everyone in the living room, and run straight back to his house. Once inside, he went into his room and fell onto his comfy bed. Bang has never hated someone so much before in his life. Why was it that he got so upset that Danny didn't want to fight him? Bang glanced at his window when the bright rays of the sun pierced through his window. Curious, Bang got up and walked up to his window frame to watch the beautiful color show that was the sunset. It amazed him how such a little thing as the day becoming night could be so beautiful. As it continued to set, Bang's eyes traveled to Danny's room. He was shocked to see Danny there, but more shocked to see he was admiring the same sunset Bang was admiring moments ago. He couldn't explain it, but it bothered him. Bang turned away from the window and vowed to never befriend Danny Wilson again.