S5C5: Bang's POV

Before The Sunset

"Alright class," said Bang's government teacher. "The bell's about to ring so I want to assign you your partner for your project. Now I'm giving you a lot of time on this so it's going to count a lot on your final grade." Everyone in the room groaned. it was barely the third week of school and the teachers wasted no time in throwing the big projects at their students. Being a senior was no joke. Bang rested his head on the table as his teacher started assigning kids together. Being the smartest kid in his entire class, Bang already knew he was probably going to be doing most of the work.

"Bang," The teacher said. "Why don't you pair up with Danny."

"What?!?" Danny squealed from the front of the room. Bang couldn't stop the big grin on his face as he couldn't have asked for the most perfect situation, Now he had a chance to talk to Danny without the other boy completely ignoring him.

"Is that a problem, Mr. Wilson?" The teacher asked.

"Well...yeah," Danny said. " I mean, we're both in the top five percent of the senior class. Wouldn't it be more fair to pair us up with people who might find this project more difficult?"

"But I do find it difficult," Bang said. Danny whirled around and glared at him but Bang just smiled and waved back.

"Mr. Wilson , if I remember correctly you were complaining last year because I paired you with someone who wasn't as smart and you were forced to do all the work?"

"Yeah, but...but-"

"Just do it, Mr. Wilson. Class dismissed!" The teacher walked back to his desk as everyone flushed into the hall. Bang skipped right up next to Danny.

"So when do you want to start meeting up?" he asked.

"Never."

"Ok, we can meet at my house after school. Need a ride?" Bang asked.

"Nope," Danny replied. He jangled a big key chain in front of Bang's face. "Took driving school over the summer."

"That's cool," Bang said. "Maybe after-"

"Bye." Danny quickly disappeared into a sea of people. Bang laughed at the other boy's misery, thinking it made him extra cute. He drove out of the parking lot and to his house in a hurry so he could clean his room before Danny arrived. When he walked in his house, his dad was sitting on the dining room table with a bunch of papers surrounding him.

"Everything ok, father?" Bang asked, slipping into Korean.

"Sit," his father told him. Bang did as he was told. "I think I've made it clear that I was extremely disappointed in your older brother's career choice, and I want to make sure you're applying to the right colleges." Bang blinked back in surprise. He didn't expect to have this kind of talk right his father.

"Well yeah, I want to study law."

"That's what I want to here. What schools are you looking at?"

"Well, my coach says that if I play my cards right this season, Stanford will give me a full ride." His father nodded as he talked.

"Good. Practice hard, study harder. Do not become a disappointment to me." His father stood up and started walking away.

"Dad," Bang said. His father turned around. "How do you feel about Danny being gay." His father frowned.

"It's a shame. He's such a bright boy, but I blame his parents for that. If he were my son, there would be none of that nonsense."

"So you don't approve?"

"Of course not," His father snapped. "I'd disown my child before I approved that kind of selfish behavior! Why are you asking?"

"Nothing," Bang told him. His dad walked away and Bang stared at the college applications around him, scared of his next move.