S2C1: Bang's POV

Before The Sunset

 

"Are you sure you have everything? What about your toothbrush?" Bang's mother asked. Bang rolled his eyes.

"Yes mom I have my toothbrush," He told her. Bang noticed the tears in her eyes before she pressed him against her chest in a tight hug.

"My baby's leaving me!" She cried.

"Mom it's just for the summer!" He mumbled into her shirt. He pushed her off and fixed his hair. "I'm thirteen mom I'm not a baby anymore."

"You'll always be my baby no matter how old you get!" She said. "Now hurry up and get on the bus, I'll load up your bag."

"Finally!" Bang cheered, running to the front of the bus to get inside. He was going to a summer camp in the woods for six weeks and he was so pumped up to defend his title as Race King with kids from around the city. When he got on he noticed most kids already starting to pair up. He continued down the bus until he spotted the only other Asian kid there. Bang smiled and plopped down next to him. "Hi, I'm Bang!" He said, offering the kid his hand. The kid looked up and smiled, taking Bang's hand.

"I'm Youngjae!" He greeted.

"You excited for camp?" Bang asked. Youngjae nodded eagerly.

"Yeah, it's my first time doing something like this."

"Me too! Let's stick together?" Bang proposed.

"Sure," Youngjae agreed. Bang smiled his gummy smile and turned to the bus driver who was preparing to leave. The best part about this whole trip was that Bang would be miles away from-

"Wait there's a kid coming!" Some kid up front shouted. The bus driver looked and opened the doors for the small kid in green shorts and a orange T-shirt walk up.

"And who are you?" The bus driver asked.

"Danny Wilson."

"You have got to be kidding me," Bang mumbled, his smile fading as Danny started making his way down the aisle.

"Do you know him?" Youngjae asked.

"Sadly," Bang answered, turning to his new friend. "But I'm not letting him ruin this trip for me." Danny passed him but knew better than to look his way. Throughout elementary school and now middle school Bang went out of his way to make sure him and Danny Wilson never crossed paths. If they did, Danny was the one who had to pay. Well...used to. After the third time Bang beat him up, their parents got involved and Bang's father gave him the beating of his lifetime. His mother, however, was the one with the worst punishment. Every Wednesday Bang's mom and Danny's mom would meet up either of their homes to watch their soap operas together. His mom decided that it would be best if him and Danny bonded during this time. Although they just stayed at the opposite sides of the room we were stuck in, it still annoyed Bang that he had to be near the kid. Danny ended up sitting by himself at the back of the bus, which finally took off and drove four hours out of town into a nearby forest where they hiked for another thirty minutes until they reached a checking point. We all dropped our bags in exhaustion.

"I can't walk anymore," Youngjae confessed.

"Me neither," Bang breathed. We all stood up when five camp counselors showed up. All of them looked like they were teenagers in high school, except for the old guy in the middle.

"Hello campers! My name is Camper Joe and over here are a couple of fellows looking to make sure each and every one of you have a good time for these next couple of weeks!" the old man greeted. Every boy, except for Danny, started to cheer and they all followed him to the campsite where they posted cabin buddies. Bang ran up to the board and nearly shouted in rejoice when he was roomed with Youngjae. They got assigned the last cabin so the two boys quickly grabbed their stuff and ran to their cabin to unpack.

"This is going to be so cool!" Youngjae said excitingly as he started hanging his clothes into the wooden wardrobe.

"I know!" Bang said, his gummy smile returning. "We have a whole cabin to ourselves!"

"Hello?" a voice asked out loud outside their cabin. Bang stopped in his tracks, recognizing the voice too well. He frowned as he saw Danny enter the cabin, his face buried in a sheet of paper. "My parents signed me up at the last minute so they ended up putting me..." By this time Danny looked up from his paper to a confused Youngjae and an angry Bang. "...here," he finished. Bang balled his fists and started walked fast towards Danny. Danny, already knowing what was going to happen, let out a sigh and braced himself before Bang's fist connected with his face.