S1C1: Danny's POV

Before The Sunset

 

Danny stayed at the top of the stairs of his new house as he watched his parents finish unpacking the moving truck. His mom came in with a small box and looked up at him. "I think this box has your books, Danny. Want to check?" Danny nodded and went down the stairs following his mom into the kitchen. She placed the box on the island and ripped it open. Danny looked inside and smiled when he saw his books nicely stacked in the box. His dad came in next, dropping a big box in the middle of the living room before walking behind his mom to kiss her on the cheek.

"So how you liking the new house, kiddo?" He asked. Danny smiled.

"It's 'how ARE you liking' dad," Danny corrected. "And the house is beautiful, but do really need to be in a house this big for three people?" He asked, glancing at the large, two story house.

"Well we think it's quite nice," His mom said. "We're paying the same amount as the apartment back in New York and daddy can have his own office now to work on his drawings."

"True," Danny mumbled. "Well as long as you two are happy, I'm happy." His dad smiled and walked over to kiss Danny on the forehead.

"Such mature words for an eight year old," His dad teased, ruffling his hair. "Don't worry, Danny I think you'll like Seattle. Maybe you'll make some new friends?"

"Doubt it!" Danny shouted, hoping off his seat and heading to the front door. Kids his age didn't want to hang around with the only kid who WANTS to learn math and science, but Danny was fine with that. He didn't really see the point to some of the games they played. Before he left he turned to his parents, who were still unpacking. "I'm going to the park down the street!" When they nodded their heads Danny proceeded to walk onto the sidewalk and look around his new neighborhood. Well it was a lot greener than his neighborhood in New York, and cleaner too. It was also quiet minus the occasional car passing by or dog barks. He was approaching the park he spotted when his dad drove passed it. There were a couple of kids on the street beside it playing street hockey. They seemed to be really into it so Danny walked around to avoid interrupting their game. With hope in his heart, Danny's eyes scanned the area until he found what he was looking for. A swing set was at the other end of the park, right under the shade of a large tree. Smiling, Danny ran up to it and quickly started doing the motions to get the swing higher and higher. Danny loved the feeling of the air brushing passed him as he swooped down and up and back down again. He decided he was going to try to reach as high as the lowest tree branch when he spotted a boy from the hockey game approaching him. He slowed his pace so that he could politely address the boy.

"Hey," the boy said.

"Hello," Danny greeted as well.

"Are you new here?" the kid asked.

"Yeah, my parents and I just came from New York. I'm Danny."

"My names Yong guk, but everyone calls me by my last name Bang."

"Why Bang?"

"It's the sound a gun makes!" He said excitingly.

"Oh ok," Danny mumbled, not returning the boy's excitement. A slight pause of silence passed before Bang cleared his throat.

"Well why don't you come play with us? I'll introduce you to everyone," he offered. Danny looked at the boys then back at Bang, noticing all the scratches on their knees and elbows. Even though he didn't want to be rude, Danny just wasn't that into sports.

"No thank you, I'm ok here," He told him, already trying to get back to his original speed.

"What?" Bang asked, a little hint of shock in his voice.

"I'm actually trying to do something right now, but maybe I'll help keep score when I'm down," Danny offered, glancing at the branch above his head.

"But swings are for girls!" Bang argued. Danny looked at him with a confused face.

"No they're not, all parks are made to be gender neutral."

"What does that even mean?" Bang asked. Danny let out a sigh, something told him he wasn't going to be touching a branch any time soon. "Just come play hockey with us and stop acting stupid!" Bang demanded.

"You're the one who doesn't even know what neutral is," Danny pointed out.

"Are you calling me stupid?!?"

"Can't you just leave me alone? I prefer to play by myself," Danny said, not wanting to deal with any of this anymore.

"No! Are you calling me stupid?!?" He demanded stepping closer until he was towering over Danny. "Will I be stupid if I punch you in the face?!?" Danny opened his mouth to answer but decided against it. He didn't think Bang really wanted him to answer that.

"I'm sorry," Danny said clearly. Bang's eyes widened and he stepped back.

"What did you say?" He asked, his voice calming.

"I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you stupid," Danny repeated. Bang continued to stare at him until an older boy appeared in the street.

"Bang what do you think you're doing?" he demanded walking over. Danny noticed the annoyed look on Bang's face as he turned around to face the other boy.

"Nothing, Young nam!" He yelled back.

"Mom wants you to come home!" Young nam told him. Danny figured they were brothers but decided to take this distraction as an opportunity to leave. Quiet as a mouse, Danny walked off and left the park as the two brothers started to argue. He stopped trying to be quiet once he was a safe distance away.

"Wow," Danny breathed. All he wanted to do was touch that tree branch.