S4C9: Danny's POV

Before The Sunset

The sound of people shuffling through the classroom snapped Danny out of his thoughts. He grabbed his phone from the teacher and left the room after the crowd of students had disappeared. He continued down the hall and toward the student parking lot. It was the middle of April and he had just finished his last college entry exam. He felt like his brain was fried mush. Halfway through the test he grew frantic wondering if he had enough time to complete the entire thing. He had to remind himself that he was a great student and that he just needed to relax. It was refreshing when he turned in his test, but was now exhausted physically and mentally. He pushed open the double doors to the student parking lot to see Daehyun patiently waiting for him on the hood of his car with smile on his face and an umbrella over his head. Danny covered his own head with the hood of his sweater, immediately feeling himself brighten up at the sight of his boyfriend of nine months, even if the outside weather was anything but sunny. For the past couple of days Seattle was caught in the middle of a thunder storm, but today was the day the rain poured on them.

"He's alive!" Daehyun cheered, quickly opening the door to the passenger seat.

"Shut up!" Danny said, jumping inside o get out of the rain. He waited until Daehyun got in the driver's seat to continue. "It wasn't that bad."

"Really?" Daehyun asked, acting surprised. "I could've sworn I've been telling you that since I met you..." Danny laughed and shoved him lightly and crossed his arms over his chest. Daehyun laughed as he wrapped an arm around the boy before planting a big kiss on his cheek.  "So what do you want to do for your birthday?" He asked, turning his attention back to the road. Danny just stared at him blankly.

"Uhhh," He said, trying to find the right words. Daehyun glanced at him.

"Danny!" He yelled, still focusing on the road. "I know you were stressed out for your test but you can't tell me you forgot your birthday was today!"

"Don't judge me!" Danny complained, although he couldn't believe it himself. Seventeen years ago today he was born...and he completely forgot. Daehyun just laughed.

"This is who I fell in love with," He said with a sigh.  Danny couldn't help but blush. "Well thanks to this storm our options are limited."

"Well my parents are most likely baking my cake right now. It's a birthday tradition of mine to eat cake and watch Girl, Interrupted."

"Never heard of it," He mumbled, already driving into Danny's neighborhood. Danny's smile was completely wiped off his face as he stared at Daehyun in complete confusion. "What?" Daehyun ask, feeling the heat of his stare.

"How have you not seen-or even HEARD- of Girl, Interrupted? Angelina Jolie is amazing in that movie!"

"Oh Angelina Jolie is in it?" Daehyun asked innocently, parking in front of Danny's house. Danny shook his head as he furiously took off his seatbelt.

"THIS," He said, motioning towards Daehyun. "is who I fell in love with."

 

"Wow," Daehyun said, staring at the t.v. screen as the ending credits appeared. "That was a really good!"

"I know right!" Danny said, shoving the rest of the popcorn in his mouth. "She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress."

"Who? Angelina?"

"WHO ELSE?!?" Danny yelled. His parents were on the other couch laughing at his reaction. His father got up and took the leftover cake to the kitchen.

"One thing you should know, Daehyun," Danny's mother said. "Is that Danny's always talking about Angelina."

"Thanks for the heads up, Mrs. Wilson," He said, laughing to himself. Danny glared at him before poking him in the rib. Daehyun laughed again until he was interrupted by a loud thunder clap.

"Sounds like it's going to be an all-nighter," Danny's dad declared.

"Yeah I should probably head home before my folks start to worry," Daehyun announced, stretching out his body before getting on his feet. Danny followed him to the front door. Daehyun opened the door but turned back to wrap his arms around Danny in a big hug. After, he grabbed the boy's face as he lowered his lips onto his. When he pulled away, they were both smiling. "Happy Birthday, Danny Wilson."

"Thanks," Danny mumbled, still lingering on the kiss. He shook his head and hugged him again. "Text me when you get home, ok? It's getting pretty crazy."

"No problem, babe." He opened up his umbrella and made a run for his car. Danny stood in front of his porch until Daehyun's car was out of sight. As soon as he was gone, another thunder clapped erupted through the sky and all the lights in the house turned off. Danny sighed in frustration but quickly grew serious as one person popped into his head. He closed the door and grabbed the flashlight that was kept in a nearby desk. He hurried his way to his room and opened his window. He was surprised at how strong the winds were blowing.He climbed outside and jogged through the small lawn between the houses. Knowing the window was unlocked, Danny opened it and his flashlight to investigate the room. He scanned the room with the light until he found what he was looking for huddled in a corner. Bang was sitting by himself, covered in sweat with eyes shut tight. His breathing was unstable.

"Bang?" Danny called out. Bang opened his eyes, revealing the terror in them. Ever since the incident at the camp when they were kids, Bang grew terrified of dark places. Not many people knew he still slept with a night light in his room. When the other boy didn't budge, Danny crawled in and kneeled beside him, his entire body soaking wet. "Come on, Bang. You know the drill.," Danny said. Running his hand soothingly against Bang's arm. Still looking like a scared puppy, Bang nodded and got up to his feet. This wasn't the first storm to hit Seattle, and ever since camp Danny had always allowed Bang to sleep with him until morning. When they made it back to his room, Danny threw a bunch of blankets on the floor along with a pillow. When they were friends, Danny let Bang sleep in his bed with him, but now Danny still thought he was a jerk for kicking Daehyun out of Yongnam's wedding.

"Why are you still helping me?" Bang asked. "After everything-" He cut himself off. Danny wondered if he realized what a jerk he's been acting like lately.

"Just go sleep," Danny said, slipping into his own sheets. TO be honest, Danny didn't know why he was helping him. He just can't shake the image of thirteen year old Bang all alone in the forest, terrified and injured. Danny closed his eyes, his attention now on the sound of rain drops softly hitting his window.

"Danny?" Bang whispered.

"Hmm?" Danny replied, half asleep.

"Happy Birthday."