Just A Fever

Can We both Win?

NARRATOR

 

“It’s not like he’d like a girl like me, anyway.”

Kai’s brows furrowed, his lips parting. A smirk grew on his face as he placed his banana milk on the table and raised a suspicious brow at his best friend. “What?”

She munched on her sandwich, choosing not to hear what he said. He snickered in disbelief and kicked her foot. Her head snapped up as she released a snarl. “Kim Jongin!”

“Yi Jia Li!”

“What the freaking hell is your problem?!” She hissed, fishing her phone out of her pocket and typing wildly after. He chuckled with sarcasm and eyed her as she busied herself.

“It’s not like Myungsoo would like a girl like you, anyway? Jiji, did I hear you right?” He repeated. Eunji’s fingers froze, and slowly after, the phone slid out of her grasp. It landed on the table with a thud. “What?”

“You said that.”

“I… did?”

 

So first things first, they were talking about Myungsoo’s ideal types. Well, they were not talking at all, until Eunji abruptly asked Kai in a small voice if Myungsoo had girlfriends before. Kai said he did not, of course with a sly smile. The topic diverted to the existence of Myungsoo’s debatable ideal type, and Kai shrugged.

“I don’t know if he has one. I mean, he’s all sleep and eat. Nothing interesting in his life, really.” That was what Kai said.

“Do you think he likes anyone right now? Or in the future, will he come to like someone?” She mused, swirling the straw around her fingers. He chuckled and shook his head.

“Actually, I think he already likes someone.”

“W-what? Who?”

“I don’t know. He says this girl is beautiful and all, but completely dense.”

He looked at her who slightly turned crimson. She bit her lip and sighed. With a small hushed voice, she said, “It’s not like he’d like a girl like me, anyway.”

That was how it came to the topic.

 

“Perhaps, do you….” Kai smiled and leaned on the table, nearing her face with his. She turned away and trembled. She curled her toes and began fumbling with her things.

“I-I’ll see you… tomorrow, Jongin. I have something to do. Bye!”

She ran out of the diner, cursing mentally. Kai chuckled as he watched her trip and just be out of herself. He his lips and rolled his eyes. “This girl needs some kind of feeling receptor or something. So freaking dense, like why.”

 

 

EUNJI’S POV

 

Darn.

“It’s not like he’d like a girl like me anyway?” I whisper, my voice quivering at the thought. Why did I say that anyway? I must be sick, or just plainly weird.

Oh crap. My fingers suddenly touch my lips.

Is my mouth alive? Does it have its own brain?

Or else, why did I say that? I am in no way hoping that… that Myungsoo will like me. He’s my closest friend, and friends can’t like each other that way.

Or am I… being different?

My thoughts are interrupted by the sudden knocking on my car window.

 

NARRATOR

 

“Open.” Myungsoo mouthed as he knocked on Eunji’s car window. She seemed baffled for a minute, before she rolled the windows down. “You see, I did not mean anyth—“

“Mean what?”

She blinked. “Uh… I don't mean to ditch class on monday, but… I think I’m passing the first period.” She exhaled after, giving herself an inward tap on the back for her perfect lie. And it was great, if she’d ditch her first period, then she could aviod Myungsoo and let herself get a grip. Maybe I’m sick, she thought.

Myungsoo slowly nodded, eyeing her weirdly. “Okay… so see you tomorrow.”

“It’s a Saturday.”

“I know.”

She swallowed her spit and squirmed on her seat. She felt so uncomfortable she didn’t even know why. He furrowed his brows and poked her cheek. “Go home, you seem tired. Don’t like the princess being tired, right?” He wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

She froze on her seat. That’s it, something was different.

“Go home jerk.”

He chuckled and bent his body so that his face was on the side of hers, his arms resting on the car window. “I’ll see you.” He winked.

span

She curled her toes. “N-not looking forward to that.”

“Ya.”

She turned to the side, and their noses touched. Her eyes widened as she backed away, but Myungsoo held her shoulder. They stared at each other’s eyes before he smiled.

“I never noticed it, but your eyes are sparkle differently under the sunlight.” He pushed her lightly and she exhaled, thankful for the loss of contact. He stood straightly and motioned for her to go. “Don’t miss me so much!” He hollered, and she was more than willing to roll the windows up fast, not wanting to hear more of his teasing.

She feared that it was not mere teasing anymore.

Bummer, they never were.

 

Myungsoo looked at her car driving away. Somehow, he never grew tired.

 “I’ll wait.” He smiled to himself.

 

 

“GEGE! YI XING GEGE! I KNOW YOU’RE HOME!”

Lay sighed and opened the door to his room. He raised a brow, his face not amused at all. He just wanted to strangle his dear cousin but he was lazy. So he left it to his thoughts.

“What do you want?”

“I think I have a fever.” She whined and stomped her foot. He touched her forehead and shook his head. “No fever. Negative. Go, run along! Be gay and don’t disturb me.”

“I have a fever!”

“No.”

“It’s on the inside. You know the ones where you—“

She blinked, agape. “Did he just slam the door on my face?”

Eunji closed her eyes as she fell on her bed. She believed she had a fever. Yes, only a fever would make her this preoccupied. So, this was a fever indeed.

No other explanation.

She closed her eyes when words rang on her ears.

“Don’t miss me too much!”

She kicked the air and buried her face on the mattress. “Miss your stinky face. You’re a jerk!” She muttered, sleeping away all the weird feelings she was having.

It was a fever, she said.

 

 

______________________________________

span

lols this is just funny.

gifs from tumblr

and oh, thank you to those who give suggestions and feedback on my story, I appreciate it! I will try to incorporate your great ideas and maybe alter them a bit :)