So Close

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

Myungsoo walked beside Eunji as they proceeded to their first class. Kai took off first, saying he had to pass by the faculty.

“Oh before it gets out of my mind, Minah’s inviting us at this charity event she’s hosting. Do you wanna come?”

Eunji looked at him with questioning eyes. “You, going to a charity event? That’s… odd.” She furrowed her brows and touched his forehead.

Myungsoo twitched his lip at her. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Are you sick?” She asked, dodging his question. Myungsoo rolled his eyes and walked ahead, leaving her behind. Eunji chuckled to herself and ran after him. She clung on to his arm and grinned. “I was joking, jerk~ Okay I’ll come.”

“Whatever, I don’t want you there anyway.” He jerked his hand away.

She scoffed. “Oh really?”

“Really.” He snapped.

“Okay then. I hope you have fun there. With the kids, you know. I bet you’re really going to tolerate their noise and hyped attitude. I know you can do it by yourself.”

Myungsoo bit his lip as his jaw clenched. He hesitated before giving up entirely.

“Okay, I need you there! Happy?”

Eunji crinkled her nose. “Not quite.”

“I need you there with me, Jiji.” Myungsoo pleaded.

Eunji smiled and shook her head. “Not really convinced.”

Myungsoo looked at her side profile, and his lips began moving unconsciously.

“I need you.” He whispered softly.

She looked at him with a lopsided grin that faded when she realized Myungsoo was looking at her too intently. She blinked innocently. “Ya.”

“I mean I need you there at the charity event.” He cleared his throat and rolled his eyes arrogantly, just so that he can look away.

Eunji raised her brow. “I… know?”

“Oh you know so stop pestering me.” He scoffed and walked away. Eunji stood there by herself, wondering. “What did I do?”

 

 

“Yi Fan, I really think she’s a good candidate for a—“

Kris sighed for the nth time. “Yeye, I’m too young.”

“But you’re not too young for an engagement. Marriage can come after, whenever you want it.” Yeye smiled softly, trying to break in that wall kris built.

Kris shook his head. “I… I don’t kow her that much. And, I want to live my life freely as of now, Yeye.”

Yeye shrugged, letting it go too quickly. “Just think about it.”

“Even if I think about it, you’ll still force me into it when time comes.”

Yeye clasped his hands together. “If I’d have to, I will.”

 

Kai and Myungsoo waited for Eunji outside the girls’ bathroom. Kai was leaning on the wall, while Myungsoo was just standing there.

“I figured out the bathroom is the best place to hear gossip.” Eunji chuckled as she got out the door. Kai slung an arm around her. “Why?”

“Well this classmate of mine, oh Myung, you know her! She sits behind us!” She grinned and nudged Myungsoo. He turned to her. “What about her?”

“Well her parents arranged her for marriage but she has a boyfriend.” She shrugged, biting her lip as if to emphasize symphaty. Kai furrowed his brows.

“Sad life.” He muttered.

Myungsoo sighed. “Well, ever since, parents always have their own ways.”

“Hmmm. And grandfathers too.” Eunji hummed.

They stopped at the diner and took their seats.

A girl attempted to sit beside Kai but he waved her off. Eunji and Myungsoo exchanged glances.

What happened? They both thought.

“Woah Jongin, since when did you reject a potential make-out partner?” Eunji scoffed. Kai smiled boyishly and scratched his head. He looked at Myungsoo, then at Eunji.

“It’s not too late to slowly change my ways.”

Myungsoos snickered. “You’re sick.”

“I’m serious! Sometimes I envy those people genuinely in love. It’s never too late to stop being a coward.” He shrugged and looked at Myungsoo as he said that.

The other furrowed his brows. “Are you Kim Jongin?”

Eunji suppressed her laughter. “Maybe you’re high, Jongin. Many girls like you, maybe some would be candidates for that genuine thing you’re talking about. But, you’re too full of your lust.”

Kai shrugged and smiled at Eunji.

“Do you like me, Jiji?”

 

Myungsoo’s eyes widened but he quickly recovered himself. In his mind he was already making conclusions. Eunji chuckled nervously and turned to Myungsoo, who ignored her.

“No.” She mustered.

Kai faked a pout. It was evident he wasn’t being serious about his words, but somehow it sounded weird and too out of place to be asked.

Eunji exhaled deeply and firmly sat straight. 

“You didn’t ask if I love you.” She said.

Myungsoo’s head snapped to her direction. Even Kai couldn’t pretend he was surprised. His lips wavered before he fibbed.

“D-do you?”

Her face was so unreadable that it made Myungsoo so damn frustrated.

 "No."

Kai looked at her pointedly before bursting in a loud guffaw at her tease. She turned to Myungsoo and winked.

However, Myungsoo swallowed hard, his fist starting to relax. That was damn so nerve-wrecking.

 

 

It was already getting dark. The trio walked towards the parking lot where the Ducati and maserati were parked. Eunji was riding with Kai home.

"Can I ride with Myungsoo today?”

Kai and Myungsoo turned to her with confused looks.

She tapped her foot endlessly against the concrete. “Well, I kinda like the Ducati, it’s so badass. And I like the feeling of riding in it.” She moved to Myungsoo’s side and batted her lashes. “The jerk won’t mind, right?”

Myungsoo just rolled her eyes. Eunji beamed and face Kai. “Rolling his eyes means a yes.”

 

Kai chuckled. “Go, enjoy the Ducati.”

 

He slipped in his car and rolled down the windows. “Remind me to buy a gigantic motorcycle too.” He winked lastly before he left.

 

“What’s with the ‘I like ducati more’ act, huh?” Myungsoo raised his brow as soon as Kai left. Eunji grinned sheepishly at him. “Well, I was being honest the motor is badass…”

 

“And…?”

 

She sighed. “I don’t want to ride with Jongin for now. He’s confusing me.”

 

Myungsoo just shrugged and hopped on. He agreed with her too, Kai was also confusing him. And for some point, he didn’t like it.

 

He felt his thoughts clear out when Eunji wrapped her arms around his waist.

 

“Drive fastly.” She tapped him from behind. Myungsoo felt a smirk tug on his lips.

 

“Oh you asked for it babe.”

 

 

That night Myungsoo fell face-first on his bed, unable to calm the thoughts whizzing on his head, and the far from steady pace of his heart.

He was close to realizing before, and now he thinks he knows.

It was absurd. It was impossible.

After all, he was the Kim Myungsoo. He couldn't be feeling that.

But he was wrong, and ironically he himself proved him wrong.

The clenching of his fist, the stirring inside him, the undeniable urge to protect, the warm fuzzy feeling, the uncinscious smiles,... everything weird.

He was trying to shun it out for weeks now, but now it was just so clear, floating visibly on his being. He was feeling something.

And he knew exactly what it was. He wasn't falling.

 

 

He already fell.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________

 

28 chapters before Myungsoo took the guts to realize.lol wth

 

 

 

Sorry if there are typos. I edited this chap on my tab huhuhu i miss my laptop. Anyway, i hope you like it!