Here

Can We both Win?

NARRATOR

 

“I just love Saturdays.” Myungsoo smiled cheekily and poked Eunji’s cheek. She grunted and trudged towards some café. He just shrugged and trailed behind her sulking figure.

They were sipping their lattes, Myungsoo playing with the foam on his upper lip, when Eunji blurted out. “Did you ever like anyone after that Minah incident?”

Myungsoo his upper lip and blinked back at her. He looked almost innocent, almost, that Eunji almost smiled.

But she just remained with that inquiring stare. He shrugged nonchalantly.

“Why are you asking me that?”

“Is it wrong to ask you that?”

“Why are you answering me with a question?” He frowned.

Eunji rolled her eyes. “Why are you even trying to dodge my question?”

“N-No. I’m a free bird ever since.” He raised his brow. “Want to introduce some hot chicks to me? Ohh, right Jongin could do that to me since he’s changing. I can have his girls.”

Eunji frowned at him. She didn’t like what she was hearing.

“You’ll be happy with that, right? Jongin finally the good guy, only looking at you. You won’t care if I get his title, won’t you? Kim Myungsoo, the best player in town. I think it sounds nice.” He looked away, his jaw clenched. He didn’t even know how he started getting pissed.  

He's just boiling. Big time.

She frowned even more. “What? He’s not even looking at me, jerk. And did you even think that I don’t care anymore? And what are you saying? P-player?”

“Funny, Jiji. Really funny.”

How can you not care anymore when he’s your dream guy? Your goal here? He snickered inwardly.

“What is wrong with you?” She raised her tone, now peeved as he is. She looked at him like he was a girl on her period, only worse.

Myungsoo met her eyes and bit his lip. “I don’t know. What is wrong with you?”

“Wha— hey we were having a friendly conversation here!” She snapped. “Then you become cranky and get weird and stuff like I did something wrong.”

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I… I’m stressed. Just pretend we never had this conversation.”

 

 

“Why are you with her?” Eunji whispered as Kai slung an arm around her. He just arrived at their ususal meeting place, the diner. But what shocked her was him arriving with Minah.

He gave her a look. “I was at your house because I thought you would not leave early. She was there, and Kris Hyung had to leave for some meeting, so she asked if she could come.”

She looked at Minah happily conversing with Myungsoo. He was nodding and smiling occasionally at what she would say.

Euni's brows furrowed. The jerk was bipolar.

“So why did you leave early?”

“Myungsoo wanted some early morning latte.” She shrugged. “I think he’s going through something. He snapped at me like some PMS-influenced brat a while ago.”

Kai chuckled and whispered. “He must be stressed.”

“That’s what he said.” She popped her lips. “Although he looks far from stressed now.”

Kai followed her gaze and looked at Myungsoo who was now chuckling as Minah animatedly shared some story. He looked interested in whatever the topic was, sure because the stone cold jerk was laughing.

Eunji looked away and bit her lip. She was peeved, she didn’t know why. She just wants to kick Myungsoo at the face, with soccer shoes. And she’d be laughing at his pained expression. Oh how she wanted to do it now.

“Isn’t that girl from our batch? The smart girl??” Kai asked, his eyes glued to a girl with gigantic glasses and long skirt. She made her way to the farthest corner of the diner, alone.

Minah followed his eyes. “She looks like… an ahjumma.”

Myungsoo didn’t comment, he was eating his burger. Kai shrugged. “She’s just different, you know. She’s smart and really good at explaining. I heard her speech at this meeting. She's daebak, if I would say.”

“She looks like an ahjumma to me. She needs a wardrobe change and some… cleaning with that face and hair.” Minah nodded as she keenly observed.

Eunji’s brows furrowed with what she heard. Even she wouldn’t judge the smart girl with her looks. Every person is different. Now she was irked.

“Oh, Eunji’sshi, Oppa told me you love driving.” Minah turned to her, diverting the topic. She looked up with a frown and clenched jaw. “Which Oppa?” She almost seethed.

Kai had to clear his throat, feeling tension. “Are you hungry, Jiji?”

“No, I’m asking her which oppa she is referring to. It can refer to many Oppas, you know.”

Minah blinked innocently as she wavered. “Uh.. Soo-soo oppa.”

Myungsoo looked at Eunji as if trying to read her. She was suddenly cranky.

“Oh, that Oppa. Yeah, I like driving. It makes me different form girls who just shop and judge.” She smiled tightly and looked at Kai. “Right, Jongin?”

Kai nervously chuckled. “H..R… Right. Jiji is different, you see.”

“She is.” Myungsoo agreed.

Minah smiled at her. “I admire you, Eunji-sshi.”

“Oh how I wished I could say the sa—“

“Our order is here!” Kai cheered happily. Minah luckily didn’t catch it. Eunji smiled at her and the conversation ended.

She cursed herself for being so cranky. Now she felt like a brat.

Maybe she is, she thought.

 

 

“Myung.”

He watched her look at him with this unreadable expression on her eyes.

“Yes?” He croaked. It just felt so right when she called him with his name that it made her jittery and all that. Ew why is he being like this love drunk stupid jerk.

Eunji slumped on her seat. Kai was playing video games with Lay on the game room, while Minah was with Kris on the study. She wanted peace so she moved on to the movie room. Myungsoo followed her after some minutes of being stuck with Kai and Lay who wouldn't even let him play.

“I want to be someone when I grow up.” She said, her eyes now glued to the screen, some James Bond movie playing. Myungsoo smiled in the dark. “Like what?”

“Like someone who can make Yeye proud?” She chuckled.

He rolled his eyes. “You do that.”

“But there are too many people waiting… watching…” She sighed. He wouldn’t be the jerk if he didn’t know. There was a hint of melancholy with that sigh.

He smiled. “You’re right. But you can’t blame anyone, it’s because you’re a Yi.”

“Yeah right.” She snickered. “Yi granddaughter, only one that still needs to learn the ropes.”

Myungsoo frowned. “You just have to know the people who would be watching you. The people that would matter to you, if you let them. The people that would… I don’t know.. always be there for you. Don’t give a about those others.”

She burst out in a giggling fit. “And… who would those people be?”

“Your family? Duhh.” He rolled his eyes.

“Hmm.” She hummed, now turning her head to his direction.

Myungsoo still faced the screen, making her see only his side profile.

“Jongin too.” He muttered.

Eunji nodded as she watched him. “You?”

He bit his lip and faced her. “You sure you want me?”

She shrugged and looked away. He was too close. “Nah, you’ll give me trouble.”

“Ehhh.” He rolled his eyes. “More like you’ll be looking for me when you’re in trouble, brat. I’m like your hero or something.”

“Ew no!” She chuckled, slapping his arm. “Don’t overthink.”

“I’m stating facts.” He grinned.

She rolled her eyes. “Shut up.”

“But really.”

“Really what?”

“I’ll… I’ll…” , I can’t say it.

“What?”

“Just watch the movie, dimwit.” He spat out.

I’ll be here if you want me to. 

 

____________________________________