Painful Truth

Can We both Win?

NARRATOR

 

The sun was already setting. Still, the busy ambiance of the city never lost its vibe. The school bell rang in the university, students sighing in content as they lazily packed up.

It was Eunji’s last class. She would have to go home to dress up and wait for events to turn up like she planned.

“Ji, I heard you’re having dinner tonight at Hyatt.” Kai walked in her classroom where students were already diminishing in number. Some girls left ogled at the known playboy.

She sighed. “Yup. Tao’s picking me up.”

“Lay hyung doesn’t want to drive you?” His brows arched curiously. Eunji released yet another sigh. “Yeah, he’s… on a bad mood." She exited the room with Kai trailing behind.

“Where’s the jerk?”

“He had to go early. Some family thing.”

“Just like me.” She popped her lips. “Where are you going this afternoon, Joginnie? Some date?”

“You got it.” He winked and pulled her close. “This girl’s a hot one.”

“Hmm-hmm, if you say so. See you tomorrow.”

Kai chuckled and opened the car door for her. Tao threw him a playful smile, as he was seated on the driver's seat. “Hey hyung!”

“Yeah Tao whatever.” Kai rolled his eyes and shut the door. He chuckled to himself as he watched them drive away. Tao, just like Eunji, drove like there's no tomorrow.

Maybe that's the reason they get along- they're both reckless, he thought, laughing to himself.

 

Myungsoo dusted lint off his shirt and walked through the Kang’s lobby. It was already past 6, and he was hurrying to get this done. The jerk was craving for some ice cream. Maybe he could have it with his friends after, he thought.

“Good Morning sir.” The receptionist smiled.

He nodded back and asked. “Mr. Kang’s office?”

“Name, please.”

“Kim Myungsoo. I’m here to visit him.”

The receptionist did some dialing and talked on the phone for a while. He boredly tapped his foot, annoyed. Or maybe he was just bored.

“Sir he’s currently out. But you can go to the sixth floor, that’s where his offce is. You can wait there.”

He nodded absentmindedly and walked towards the elevator. Now he had to wait, great.

Few moments later he was sitting at the waiting area for guests, bored to death. The office was just there in the hall, but his uncle, Minah’s father, did not arrive yet.

The receptionist's area for the sixth floor was near the elevator, out of view from the waiting area and offices.

He blew a raspberry. What’s taking too long? He wondered.

 

Lay brushed off Eunji’s hand on his arm. “Dress up, we’re going to be late.”

“I… I don’t want us fighting, Gege. Please.”

Lay chuckled bitterly. He turned to face her. “Mei, you are the one keeping secrets. Don’t you remember what we all promised to each other when our parents died and Yeye took us in?”

She looked away. She was too young back then, a toddler, when her parents together with Lay’s and Kris’ died because of a bomb. Her heart clenched.

Lay held her shoulders and made her face him. “Remember?”

“Y-yes.” She whispered.

“But now it’s as if it was nothing. The promise to care for each other, to be in each other’s problems— it’s all nothing to you.” He again chukled bitterly and turned away.

Eunji sat on his bed, dejected. Tears were already b her eyes. “Ge, Minah’s a liar. That’s what I’m keeping. She’s using Kris Gege. Her company’s bankrupt.”

Her tiny voice was so clear, piercing through the torturous silence.

Lay turned slowly and raised a brow. “Mei, that can’t—“

“That’s the reason why I’m keeping everything to myself. Because no one believes me. Do you know how hard it is? You, Yi Fan gege, no one! I have no one by my side! Not even the ones closest to my heart.” A sob escaped her lips.

Lay rushed to her side. “Mei, we know you. Your personality. Ever since before you are a doubtful person. You care for us too much that… that sometimes…”

Her heart fell. So this was all becase of her doubting personality that no one believes her? This is becase she cares too much?

“That’s bull.” She hissed.

“Then what do you want us to do, mei? I want to believe you, I really do! We all want to! But things like this happened before, mei. Once you lied that a friend of mine was a e!”

“I saw her in the public pub!” She defended. True, that happened. A young girl Lay was courting when he was in high school. She mistook her as a e, and she broke Lay’s heart without wanting to.

“And why was she there? Because she was there to look for her true mother, Mei! She was adopted. You judged too quickly! That’s why it’s hard for us, because we all know your tendencies!”

“I’m sorry for that ge, you know I am…” She whispered. “I’ve changed since then. I was sent to China alone, and I learned to value new people that come to my life. But… It’s different now. I’m telling the truth.”

Lay didn’t know what to say.

“I saw the bankrupt documents, Ge. I went to her office and accidentally saw it.”

He couldn’t say anything still.

“Ge please, talk to me.”

“The reason why no one believes you, even Myungsoo and Kai, is because we all talked about this. The four of us, and we talked about how doubtful you are. We were afraid you’d do something or take Yi Fan gege liking Minah negatively. And you did, after Yi Fan gege told you. Now, hear what you're saying.”

Eunji could let the tears fall. So that is why no one believes her, because everyone thinks she’s doing this in the bad light.

“But mei, I’m still listening… Go on.” Lay sat beside her and her cheek. Eunji pressed her lips together.

*No, they have to find out sooner or later about Minah, and that I’m telling the truth. Also, they have to find out that I’m not that petty and doubting little girl anymore.*

“Excuse me Young Miss, Young Master. Grand Master called. He’s waiting for you at the venue.”

The head maid bowed and left.

Eunji stood up and smiled softly at Lay. “We can talk about this some other time.”

With that she left with the heaviest heart.

 

 

Myungsoo’s POV

 

This is starting to irk me. All this waiting .

I slowly stand up and look at the receptionist. She’s busy taking some calls so maybe she won’t mind if I take a little stroll around this floor.

Whatever, I don’t care about what she thinks. I do what I want.

The floor houses two offices, the president’s and vice president’s. So, this floor is for Minah and his father only. Hmm way to go privacy and luxury.

I walked the hall, looking at the view beside me. The other ends were the two doors to the offices. The vice president office has its doors closed, while the president's office has its door slightly ajar. 

What's taking them too long? I want to go home.

<a

 

“No, Minah! You’re working slowly!”

Isn’t that… Uncle Kang? So he’s not out?

“Abbeoji, it’s all set. Don’t worry. Tonight, everything will fall into place. We’re sealing the deal tomorrow, so tonight we just have to be friendly.”

“Did you show them the faked documents?”

“Yes, they’re pretty hyped about partnering with us.”

My brows furrow. What fake documents?

“I’m proud of you, my daughter. Not only did you save us from bankruptcy, but you’re also securing the company’s future.”

“I will do anything, Appa. They don’t know a thing about this. The Yi’s are all too gullible, especially that Kris.” She chuckles, and soon, Uncle Kang’s voice joined her.

They sound too happy and reassured.

So Eunji never lied. She knew it all from the beginning. So this is not about her not liking Minah for Kris. This is about her knowing her true motives.

Iwanted to believe her, we all wanted too. But we were blinded by her doubtful being.

Minah never changed, she’s still the sly fox that she is.

And Kris hyung, this will not be good for him.

 

 

NARRATOR’S POV

 

Myungsoo woke up from his thoughts when he heard a faint thud. Like something fell on the floor.

He turned around and there he was.

Kris stood there, jaw clenched, a bouquet of flowers on the floor beside him. His fists were clenched.

It wasn’t just him who heard.

 

And it all went just like planned.

 

 

 

__________________________________________