Chapter 21

The Legend of a Mafia's Life Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From then on, Kris busied himself with work. He felt for not being there for Kira but he couldn’t face her. The pain was still there and it would hurt more if he looked at Kira’s face that resembled you so much. For the past three years, a routine were made between Kris and Kira. When Kira started walking, she would greet Kris at the doorway with the brightest smile only to be ignored but that didn’t stop Kira from trailing after her father. When Kira was two, she would greet Kris with her broken words and the same bright smile. Kris would just pat her head and walked off to his study room. Kira was sad. Her father never seem to show her the fatherly love she wanted, he would always be busy with work, work and work. He never bought her gifts or really celebrated her birthday. He would just write on a note, stating Happy Birthday and would be at work during that time. He never played with her or talked to her or even looked at her in the eyes. She somehow learned to adapt to Kris’ behaviour and from then on ignored him. She stopped greeting him in the doorway and didn’t smile in front of him instead she would lock herself inside her room when Kris arrived back from work and hugged the picture frame of you.

Kira would her tiny fingers on your face behind the glass frame and smiled at you. “Ma ma…” she would call out and hugged the frame again. It comforted her. This year was no different, every day was the same. “Nada, food.” Kira tugged onto Nada’s sleeve as she spoke. Nada smiled and led her into the kitchen. “Kira, why are you always wearing that backpack inside the house?” Nada softly questioned, even though she knew the answer already. Kira looked up at her with her big puppy eyes. “Ma ma…” that was all she said. Nada knew what she meant. When Kira got a picture frame of you last year on her birthday from her uncle Luhan, she would carry it everywhere with her in her panda backpack that Tao got for her.*She must miss her ma ma a lot.* Nada softened at the thought. “Nada, trip!” Kira exclaimed with a beam. “Do you want to go on a trip we planned?” Nada asked. Kira nodded cutely. Just then, Kris walked through the front door and went straight to his study room. Nada shook her head at him and turned back to Kira. Kira stared at her father’s study room door with a sad expression.

Without a word, Kira ran upstairs and into her room. She took your picture out of her bag and cuddled against it on her purple bed. “Ma ma…” she whispered. Suddenly, her door creaked opened. Kira pulled the cover over her head and waited. “Sssh…ma ma…ssh…” Kira hushed. Kira screamed as the blanket flew over her head. “Mei mei, it’s ge ge!” Six year old Kevin patted his sister’s head in comfort. “Ge ge…” Kira mumbled and moved over so Kevin could climb in. Kevin lay on the bed and pulled the blanket over the both of their body. “What are you doing mei mei?” Kevin asked. “Ma ma…” Kira hugged the frame tightly. “Did ba ba not greet you?” Kevin questioned innocently. Kira nodded and wiped the tears that were falling from her eyes. Kevin moved the picture frame away, leaned closer to Kira and hugged her. “Don’t worry, mei mei. You have ge ge here.” Kevin comforted and pecked her forehead. Kira sniffled and snuggled closer to Kevin.

“Don’t cry.” Kevin cooed as he messily wiped Kira’s tears away. Kira nodded and hugged her brother tightly. Half an hour later, the both of them were fast asleep. Nada smiled at the sight and gently closed the door. *I have to do something…Kris can’t always ignore Kira. She’ll hate him when she grows up…Stupid Kris…* Nada walked down the stairs as she thought of a plan. At the last step of the stairs, an idea popped inside her head. “That’s it!” she cheered in happiness.

“Trip…” Kira stated. It was dinner and Kira wasn’t eating her food. “We’ll go soon, I promise. Eat your dinner Kira please…” Nada held the spoon to her nouth but Kira turned away. “Who’s not eating her dinner?” a voice stated from behind. “SHU SHU!” Kevin beam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter