Ch. [03]

Blue Tomorrow

 

down
               
Hyukjae gulped as he saw Kyuhyun waiting for them outside the building. He tried to convince the lawyers that it wasn’t necessary, that they could stand by themselves until everything were right. But then again, it was Siwon’s will and no one could go against it. 
                 
His house was taken away almost instantly, he was only allowed to go and get his stuff before going to Kyuhyun’s house that was about three hours away from there. There was almost nothing that they could take except for personal things and Chaerin was slowly realizing Siwon would never come back. “Mommy… where are we going?” she asked. And in that very moment, Hyukjae swore he was going to protect his girl from everything that family had against them.
                 
“We’ll go stay a few weeks at uncle Kyuhyun’s house,” Hyukjae explained smiling at his girl who was holding his hand tightly.
                 
“But uncle Kyuhyun doesn’t love us…,” Chaerin said pouting and hugging her doll tightly, looking up at Hyukjae.
                  
Hyukjae smiled and just gulped nervously, what was he supposed to say or do? He could do nothing now, he had nothing at the moment. “Remember how to talk to him baby,” Hyukjae reminded and the girl nodded, pursing her lips in determination.
                 
Chaerin knew, she couldn’t call Kyuhyun ‘uncle’ and instead call him ‘president’ or ‘sir’. Siwon had always wanted them to be a family but neither Kyuhyun nor his mother agreed on that and rejected the child strongly.
                 
They finally arrived to where Kyuhyun was and the tall man was frowning deeply, looking at them as if they were trash. “Disgusting,” and Hyukjae froze, gasping because he felt himself exactly like that, disgusting.
                 
My younger brother has this ability of making you feel like trash with only a look, he’s so imposing that it makes you feel you are nothing just by being in front of him. Siwon wasn’t lying when he told that to Hyukjae, who until that moment, trusted in his luck of never encounter the younger.
                 
And it was so ironic, how Hyukjae even thought that Kyuhyun’s voice was so smooth and nice to hear, so relaxing and so poisonous when pronounced that single word. It was the very first time they even shared a word and Hyukjae already felt like running away.
                 
“I-I’ll take my car, if you don’t mind…,” Hyukjae mumbled, looking at his girl that was simply looking down, probably scared of Kyuhyun as himself.
                 
“Do whatever you want,” Kyuhyun said and turned around, walking to his car and getting in.
                 
Hyukjae gasped softly as he heard Kyuhyun starting his engine and he knew, if he didn’t hurry the man would leave him alone. “Come on baby, we need to go now,” Hyukjae hurried Chaerin who nodded and ran to their car, going up in the back seat and putting on her seat belt as Hyukjae the engine to follow Kyuhyun’s car.
                 
Hyukjae followed Kyuhyun’s black car diligently, sighing loudly because he was nervous of the following weeks he had to live in Kyuhyun’s house. He didn’t know what was waiting for him there, what would be of Chaerin who had to get into school the next week. He was unsure of their future, so afraid of it at the same time.
                 
It had been just a week after Siwon’s death and Hyukjae couldn’t take it, there were moments in which he only wanted to curl into a ball and cry himself to sleep. He missed the other so much, he still cried at night for him to help him because it was hard, it was hard to be without him.
                 
Kyuhyun, Hyukjae could take it. Jihyun’s rants and yells at him, all the insults; he could also take that. Being a single mother and having to run away from his husband’s family, that was also easy. But Hyukjae couldn’t possibly stand the fact that there was no more Siwon in his life. He just couldn’t.
                 
Their home had been claimed and the only thing left was the expensive car Siwon bought him in his last birthday. Hyukjae knew he would have to sell it sooner or later because he couldn’t use the money Siwon left for him, it was frozen until everything was fixed.
                 
It was a long trip, Hyukjae was tired and he smiled faintly as he could glance Chaerin’s sleeping figure in the back seat, hugging her doll with all her might. He focused on the road, trying to not lose Kyuhyun’s car that was driving quite fast. Hyukjae had never driven like that but he couldn’t take the risk of getting lost later on.
                 
It was late already, the sky was orange and Hyukjae could finally see their destination. He followed Kyuhyun’s car diligently, trying to dodge the cars that would make him lose Kyuhyun’s trace. The younger didn’t even mind about them anyways, it was going to be Hyukjae’s fault and not his if they got lost. That was what the judge would determine, that it was Hyukjae the uninterested one.
                 
So when Kyuhyun finally went into a fancy neighborhood, Hyukjae relaxed, knowing that he had finally reached their destination. The black car parked in front of a huge garden and Hyukjae stopped as well, taking off his seat belt when he saw Kyuhyun going out from his car and standing outside, waiting for them.
                  
Hyukjae went out of his white car, completely contrasting Kyuhyun’s black one. He walked to Kyuhyun making sure Chaerin was waking up and going out as well. He took up the small girl to his arms and stood up in front of Kyuhyun, looking at the enormous house in front of them, the huge garden that welcomed its visitors. “Don’t be slow,” Kyuhyun said coldly, staring at Hyukjae and frowning, probably thinking how filthy they were.
                 
Hyukjae bit his lower lip and nodded, walking towards the house as he pulled one small suitcase and Chaerin in his arms sleeping again. They went into the house after Kyuhyun opened the door. Hyukjae bit his lower lip. It was well designed, huge in the interior and just one floor. It didn’t matter though, it was even bigger than Siwon’s and his. “There,” Kyuhyun simply said signaling a room at the end of the hall and Hyukjae simply nodded, walking to the said room and leaving Chaerin on the bed before going out again to the living room where Kyuhyun was drinking some wine.
                 
Hyukjae breathed in and out deeply before clearing his throat. “K-Kyuhyun-shi, I just wanted to thank you for-”
                 
“There’s nothing to thank,” Kyuhyun said coldly, drinking his glass of wine at once. “I’m not doing this because I’m a good person. If it were for me I would have thrown you away to the streets where you surely belong to,” he said and Hyukjae would never forget how intense those eyes looked at him, how much hatred there was into them.
                  
Hyukjae didn’t know how much it took. He didn’t realize when Kyuhyun left and locked himself in a room he had no idea what it was. He stared at the nothingness for minutes, frozen at Kyuhyun’s harsh words. And it was after a while that Hyukjae realized he was actually trembling, afraid and scared of Kyuhyun, of what would be of him in the future if he kept on being like that.
                 
That night Hyukjae let Chaerin sleep comfortably as he looked around the room. It was big enough for both of them, it didn’t have a bathroom so he knew he would use the one on the hall. He sighed as he sat down on the chair and started reading the newspaper, looking for proper jobs that would help him survive the next weeks and also preparing everything to take Chaerin to his school the next morning.
                 
Hyukjae smiled. It was Chaerin’s first day of kindergarten, Siwon always said he couldn’t wait to see it. A weak smile appeared in Hyukjae’s lips. “I miss you Wonnie…,” he whispered before a lonely tear went down his cheek, followed by many others.
                 
Hyukjae cried silently that night as well, just like the entire week before.
               
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
                
“I don’t want to…,” Chaerin whined as Hyukjae got her dressed.
                 
“We talked about this before baby…,” Hyukjae sighed. It was early in the morning, Chaerin didn’t like to be woken up so she was in a bad mood. “You’ll meet many interesting people...,” he said and he smiled as his daughter pouted softly. “Let’s go,” he nudged.
                 
Chaerin yawned and grabbed Hyukjae’s hand, walking out of the house silently just in case Kyuhyun was still asleep.
                 
Hyukjae didn’t know if he had the permission to use Kyuhyun’s kitchen but he wasn’t going to risk it so he decided to go out earlier to have breakfast somewhere out.
                 
Hyukjae had to stay there the whole day because Chaerin was refusing to let him go, crying loudly and not wanting to stay alone in that classroom. Hyukjae had to convince her that it wasn’t that bad and at the end she ended up playing with the other kids but always turning around to see if her mother was there looking at her.
                 
He didn’t have the heart to go away even in the nap time, he just took out a letter he had gotten the day before and sighed. It was from the court, social services, telling him that he had to prove that he could maintain Chaerin with a good quality of life or else they would take her away from him.
                 
The simply thought of everything left for him scared Hyukjae like no tomorrow, he almost didn’t sleep just thinking on what to do to keep her with him. At the end he ended up organizing his entire life, just missing a few things but already having a plan for her. He would have never taken her daughter to that specific kindergarten, but the court requested it so he had no choice but accept.
                 
Hyukjae wasn’t going to let those people take away his precious daughter. He knew how it was to be rejected. He went through that all. He lived thinking that his mother didn’t love him and abandoned him in the streets, that he would never know anything about his father or if he had siblings. No one ever liked him until Siwon and he was going to make sure his daughter’s life would be different.
                 
Of course that Hyukjae would love it if Siwon’s mother and Kyuhyun would accept Chaerin into their family. It was okay if they didn’t want him, but the girl was different, she was their own blood. Hyukjae was used to being rejected and pushed away, Chaerin didn’t have to even know what being rejected is, she didn’t deserve such thing.
                 
When finally Hyukjae came back with Chaerin smiling brightly because she liked school, he sighed and took them to another place to have some meals, clearly knowing that they wouldn’t even get to see Kyuhyun.
                 
They came back to Kyuhyun’s house in the afternoon and Hyukjae realized the door was locked. He sighed and sat down in the stairs in front of the front door, watching Chaerin who didn’t mind it at all and started playing in the green grass of Kyuhyun’s house.
                 
Later on, Chaerin was tired and decided to go and sit in her mother’s lap and play with a leaf she found extremely interesting.
                 
It was after a few hours that a black car parked in front of the house and Hyukjae sighed deeply, already nervous and scared of Kyuhyun.
                 
Kyuhyun walked pass them, not even sparing them a look as he carried his expensive suitcase and marked the code to get in. Hyukjae flinched lightly as the door closed again but it wasn’t locked. He sighed and took Chaerin’s hand, dragging his daughter to their room.
                 
If Kyuhyun wasn’t going to tell them the code, he would need to spend his time somewhere else with his daughter.
                 
“The code it’s 3769,” Kyuhyun said sitting on the couch when Hyukjae walked through it.
                  
Hyukjae flinched at the sudden voice. “T-Thank-”
                 
But Kyuhyun cut his words as he stood up and went into the same room that the day before with his glass of wine in his hand. Hyukjae felt like the world would fall apart over him in any minute.
           

      up