Ch. [06]

Blue Tomorrow

 

down
        
“Oh my poor son,” Jihyun cooed caressing Kyuhyun’s hand. “You have to live with such a thing,” she said, because Hyukjae was not even human.
            
“Mhh…,” Kyuhyun hummed absent minded.
            
They both had gone to the graveyard and Kyuhyun couldn’t see the flowers he saw the day before. He couldn’t find any trace that Hyukjae was there and he pursed his lips, apparently, even Hyukjae knew what could happen if he was discovered there.
            
“You just have to convince him to give us back all what is ours Kyuhyun,” Jihyun said serious. “We have to make him suffer,” she continued and Kyuhyun turned up at her.
            
“Let’s talk some other time mom,” Kyuhyun said standing up, completely tired from the weekend. “I’m coming back now.”
            
“But Kyuhyun! You’ll see that man!” Jihyun exclaimed outrageous. “How horrible!”
            
“I’ll see you later mom,” Kyuhyun simply said, leaning closer to kiss his mother’s forehead before going out the house and leaving his mother yelling about how pitiful he was for having to stay in the same roof with someone as despicable as Hyukjae.
            
His drive home was surprisingly short. Kyuhyun couldn’t stop thinking how he over went with Hyukjae the day before when he yelled at him. Of course he deserved it, the other had slapped him. But Kyuhyun was conscious that he might have deserved that as well.
            
When he parked his car outside the house, he saw the white car already there and when he went down, he could hear the soft giggles of Chaerin who was probably playing in the front garden with Hyukjae sitting on the entrance watching his daughter carefully.
            
Kyuhyun walked silently and he stopped when he saw Chaerin running towards his mother who was sitting down with a weak smile in his lips. “Look Mommy! I found this!” the little girl squealed and showed Hyukjae a small flower.
            
“It’s beautiful baby,” Hyukjae said smiling and the girl nodded eagerly, placing the small flower over Hyukjae’s ear. 
            
“But mommy, daddy always said you were more beautiful than anything else,” Chaerin said smiling and Hyukjae smiled wider, pressing his own forehead against his daughter and giggling softly. 
            
“Oh baby, daddy said a lot of things,” Hyukjae laughed. “Do I tell you a secret?” he asked whispering and Chaerin grinned before nodding eagerly. “Daddy told me you were actually the most beautiful of all,” he said winking an eye to his daughter who squealed loudly.
            
“Daddy was such a cute liar!” Chaerin exclaimed and Hyukjae laughed, fixing his daughter’s hair softly.
            
And then Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun’s direction and they locked their stares. Hyukjae’s smile disappeared almost instantly. “Chaerin, what about going for an ice cream?” he suddenly said and Chaerin yelled a loud ‘yes’ before Hyukjae stood up.
            
Hyukjae took Chaerin and dragged her towards his car, passing Kyuhyun without a word.
            
Kyuhyun turned around and looked at Chaerin. She was hiding behind Hyukjae, looking back at him with sad, terrified eyes. She was looking at Kyuhyun as if wishing he was different, as if he was so scared of him. And Kyuhyun tried to smile but he couldn’t, because even if he did, the little girl would still look at him with those eyes that could break anyone’s heart at once.
            
It was after Hyukjae drove off that Kyuhyun turned around and walked into his house. He was going to need to drink some wine for him to sleep that night.
           
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
          
Hyukjae yawned as he woke up and stood up from bed, untangling himself from his daughter’s tight hug. He walked to the door and opened it silently, going to take a shower before coming back to wake his daughter up so they could go to school.
            
Hyukjae looked at the paper in his hand and sighed. He hoped that café needing for a waiter would be the best place for him. He was going to have the interview after leaving Chaerin at school and, if everything went well, he would have work already for the next day.
            
After finally Chaerin was up and ready, they went out from their room and Hyukjae carried his sleepy daughter to the car to buy some breakfast since he would still not dare to touch Kyuhyun’s kitchen.
            
Chaerin didn’t cry for him at school so everything went smoother for Hyukjae in the mornings. He drove to a near café just a few blocks away from Kyuhyun’s house and sighed deeply as he opened the main door and walked to the reception. “Good morning sir, what can I offer you?” a smiling boy asked as soon as Hyukjae stepped in.
            
“Umm… well, I came for the waiter spot…,” Hyukjae mumbled and smiled weakly.
            
“Ah! Yes that one!” The smiling boy said smiling even brighter. “Please sit down wherever you wish, I will call the manager, would you like something to drink in the mean while?” he asked and Hyukjae simply shook his head, thanking the man and turning around to sit down in the loneliest table.
            
Hyukjae waited for at least ten minutes before a man stepped I front of him and he stood up, bowing softly at the middle aged man that just arrived. “Hello, I’m Shin Donghee, please just call me Shindong, I’m the café manager and owner,” the man introduced himself and Hyukjae smiled at him.
            
“Lee Hyukjae,” Hyukjae said bowing again. “Nice to meet you Shindong-shi…”
            
Shindong smiled and signaled Hyukjae to sit down. “So you came for the waiter spot?” he asked and Hyukjae nodded.
            
“But I would like to know the working hours first…,” Hyukjae said biting his lower lip. “Truth is that I have a small girl and I don’t want her to stay alone for too long…”
            
“Ah... I see…,” Shindong nodded for himself. “Well, I need to fill the morning shift which ends at two in the afternoon, after that you’re free to do whatever you wish.”
            
Hyukjae nodded. “That’s perfect for me,” he said since he arranged the school’s car to bring Chaerin home at that time and he wasn’t away from the house so he could even arrive there walking only five minutes.
            
“And perfect for me too,” Shindong said laughing softly. “Can you start tomorrow?” he asked and Hyukjae smiled, nodding eagerly.
            
“Of course, I’ll be here at seven in the morning exactly,” Hyukjae said and Shindong smiled, talking to Hyukjae about the rules of the place and everything he needed to know while working there.
            
When Hyukjae came back to Kyuhyun’s house, it was still too early for Chaerin to come back so he started cleaning everything again, just like every time he felt like thinking too much wasn’t a good option. He was about to go into Kyuhyun’s studio and he shook his head. No, he wouldn’t touch anything that would be Kyuhyun’s property.
            
Hyukjae turned around and looked at every corner of the house, everything was perfect already so he needed to find something else to do instead. 
            
He sighed as he found himself on his bed, looking at Siwon’s pictures in his phone and smiling gently because he missed him more than he could ever imagine missing someone. “My love…,” he mumbled not noticing a warm tear sliding down his cheek.
            
Hyukjae sat up abruptly when he heard someone coming into the house and he went out from the room quickly, looking at his watch and thinking on the possibility of Chaerin arriving early since Kyuhyun didn’t come back until night time.
            
“Chae-” Hyukjae cut his words when he saw Kyuhyun taking off his jacket and turning to him with a big frown in his face. “Oh… S-Sorry…,” he said looking down in embarrassment.
            
Kyuhyun looked at Hyukjae intently. “You’re crying,” and he wasn’t worried, not even curious of the reason, it was a mere affirmation. “Go get your tears out somewhere else, not my house.”
            
Hyukjae pursed his lips and didn’t look up. “Well, I’m sorry for that,” he said drying his tears with the back of his hand and turning around. “Oh, by the way…,” he stopped without turning around. “The court sent you a letter, it’s on the table,” he announced and went into his room silently.
            
Kyuhyun watched Hyukjae’s every movement until he disappeared behind the door and he turned to the papers in the table. He walked ahead, taking them up and throwing to the couch the ones he didn’t feel interested with until he reached that one directed to him from the court.
            
Kyuhyun opened the letter slowly, frowning deeply as he read each letter and sighing deeply when he finished. Apparently, he had to go and make a declaration of how Hyukjae was while living in his house. What was he supposed to say? That he heard Hyukjae crying almost every night? That he had no idea if the other was eating well because he had never seen the two of them eating before? That he yells at him every time he has the chance? What was he supposed to do then?
            
Kyuhyun threw the letter to the couch and sat down, pursing his lips in frustration and resting his arms on his own knees. “Just tell them I’m doing fine,” a voice suddenly came from behind and Kyuhyun turned around, looking at Hyukjae who was standing behind him.
            
“What?” Kyuhyun asked and he hated to feel like a retarded in front of the other.
            
“That’s what I say every time I’m being asked for a declaration…,” Hyukjae said coldly. “I tell them that you treat me well though you might still be hurt by your brother’s death… they ask me if Chaerin’s getting all her meals and everything she needs to study well and I tell them that you’re nice enough to take care of that as well… Just tell them that and you’ll be fine.”
            
Kyuhyun pursed his lips in annoyance. “I don’t need you to tell them that, I don’t need your help,” he said standing up and turning around until he was standing in front of Hyukjae.
            
“I know,” Hyukjae said. “It’s me the one who needs you to say that… so I can go away from here as soon as possible,” he said and Kyuhyun chuckled bitterly.
            
“Finally something we both want,” Kyuhyun said looking at Hyukjae from head to toe.
            
Hyukjae simply kept quiet, not being able to hold Kyuhyun’s stare anymore and looking down, fidgeting his fingers nervously. “Why do you think Chaerin is not Siwon’s daughter?” he asked lowly, almost in a whisper.
            
Kyuhyun frowned. “What?” he asked again, because he did think Chaerin was his niece and he had no doubts, the girl was exactly like Siwon, the smile and the eyes, everything.
            
Hyukjae looked up. “You asked for a DNA test,” he said and Kyuhyun could actually feel how hurt he was. 
            
“I didn’t,” Kyuhyun said firmly and Hyukjae looked at him with trembling lips.
            
“But I got the order…,” Hyukjae said. “I must take Chaerin to the laboratory tomorrow morning…,” he informed. “I just… I had thought you believed she was Siwon’s daughter…”
            
Kyuhyun frowned deeper, pursing his lips because he knew it was his mother’s doings. “Then take her, how nice would it be for her not to be Siwon’s? You could finally be on your respective place, the street.”
            
Hyukjae also pursed his lips. “You’re wrong,” he said firmly. “Do you think I like being humiliated like this?” he asked firmly. “I’ll just take her because I can’t take the bail… Chaerin is Siwon’s, there is no doubt about it.”
            
“You should be used to it,” Kyuhyun said. “It’s your destiny being humiliated isn’t it?”
            
Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun, as if pitying him and oh how much Kyuhyun hated being stared like that by Hyukjae. “I feel so bad for you Kyuhyun…,” the smaller said with sad eyes. “If only you-”
            
“Don’t,” Kyuhyun warned. “Don’t you dare talking to me as if you pity me because let’s be honest, the one to pity here is you and you don’t even deserve that much.”
            
Hyukjae bit his lower lip and smiled weakly. “See you tomorrow at the court Kyuhyun,” he simply said and turned around, walking to the door and deciding to go pick Chaerin up instead of waiting for her. 
            
Kyuhyun frowned deeply looking at Hyukjae’s retreating back and he took his phone out, dialing his mother’s phone because he needed to know what she was planning.
           
   up