Ch. [10]

Blue Tomorrow

 

down
        
Kyuhyun groaned lowly as he woke up and realized his eyes were so swollen he couldn’t even open then. He didn’t even try anymore and sighed loudly. How he reached his bed? He has no idea but he was pretty suspicious that Hyukjae had helped him to do that.
             
It was until half an hour after that Kyuhyun could see a small bottle in his bedside table and when he finally could look at it clearly, he saw it was some eye drops for red and swollen eyes. He chuckled because he knew who put them there and he applied them carefully, closing his now watery eyes to rest for a while.
             
After a few minutes, Kyuhyun went to take a shower and changed his clothes to go to work, even if he knew he was late already.
             
So when Kyuhyun came out from the bathroom, he closed his now almost normal eyes and smelled the scent that was spread through the house. It has been years since the last time some decent food was made in his kitchen and he doesn’t even remember which of his one night stands did it for him. 
             
He walked out of his room already changed into his neat suit and tie. As soon as he reached the kitchen, he saw how Hyukjae slid a glass with orange juice in the counter. “Good morning Kyuhyun,” he greeted with a gentle smile and Kyuhyun simply hummed, sitting down in front of the plate and looking at it.
              
“Did you poison it?” Kyuhyun asked and Hyukjae sighed.
             
“No, I didn’t,” Hyukjae said, not wanting to have another argument with him.
             
Kyuhyun simply nodded. He knew already, that Hyukjae wouldn’t be capable of that. He took the fork and poked the scrambled eggs with the bacon by its side. “Where’s Chaerin?” Kyuhyun asked as he ate slowly.
             
Hyukjae smiled softly, partly relieved that Kyuhyun wasn’t mad at him for using the kitchen and that they would be having another decent conversation. “I convinced her to go to school…,” he said and Kyuhyun nodded.
             
“Don’t you have work?” Kyuhyun asked again and Hyukjae nodded.
             
“I just came to make you breakfast,” Hyukjae said. “It’s lunch hour.”
             
Kyuhyun looked up and frowned. “How did you know I was going to wake up at this hour?”
             
“I didn’t,” Hyukjae said. “I was going to leave the food in the counter and so you could eat it anytime.”
             
“I wouldn’t have eaten your food like that,” Kyuhyun mumbled eating some more, because truly, he was extremely hungry.
             
Hyukjae chuckled. “I was sure you would,” he said. “Siwon was always really hungry after a stressful night, Chaerin is the same, you have the same blood, it’s obvious that your genes tell you to be hungry after last night.”
             
Kyuhyun froze. He had something to relate to Siwon, even Chaerin. It was new. He never really stopped and thought about the similarities Siwon and him had. He contemplated the new possibilities that Hyukjae brought to him. The smaller had spent years living with his brother in which Kyuhyun had no way of meeting him closely. Hyukjae could be a good source of information.
             
“What else?” Kyuhyun asked after a few minutes if silence. “What else did he do?”
             
And it was amazing only seeing the glow appear in Hyukjae’s eyes. Maybe they truly loved each other.
             
Because Kyuhyun didn’t know what else to think. Hyukjae had admitted he had ruined his life and secretly, that was everything Kyuhyun actually needed because deep inside he knew it was a lie, that the one ruining his life was himself.
             
“He also liked wine, like you, red wine,” Hyukjae said smiling softly, a dreamy smile tainted in his lips, a smile Kyuhyun was sure he had never seen. “He always walked around the table or the living room whenever he was worried but he never wanted to tell me, even if he knew I would find out sooner or later.”
             
“What was his favorite food?” Kyuhyun asked, feeling slightly ashamed that he didn’t know his own brother.
             
“He always said he loved everything I cooked, but it was obvious how chicken was always fast to finish whenever I prepared it and how he would always ask for more,” Hyukjae said giggling gently. “It was easy to read him.”
             
Kyuhyun smiled. Maybe, if he had gone to one of those countless dinners he was asked, he would have tasted that chicken and seen Siwon eating it. He was about to ask something else when Hyukjae gasped softly.
             
“I must come back to work Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae announced walking to grab his jacket and smiled at him. “It was nice talking to you,” he said and went out from the house.
             
Kyuhyun simply looked at the door and then at his food, finishing it slowly before standing up and taking the dishes to the sink, he closed his eyes and massaged his temple, feeling his head hurting slightly. 
             
Silently, Kyuhyun wished he could talk a little longer with Hyukjae.
            
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
           
It was late when Kyuhyun reached his house again. He saw Hyukjae’s white car parked outside and he entered silently, knowing it was almost midnight. He would have arrived earlier but Kyuhyun convinced himself that he had no reason to do so.
             
The lights of the living room were on and when Kyuhyun passed by, he found Hyukjae sewing something silently. “Oh Kyuhyun,” the smaller greeted with a soft smile. “You came back late,” he said.
             
“Yeah…,” Kyuhyun simply hummed and walked to his room, dedicating himself to relax and take a slow shower because his day had been more tiring that he would have wished for it to be.
             
It was almost two in the morning and Kyuhyun found himself unable to sleep, watching the dim light of the living room filtering under his door. He sighed deeply and stood up, walking out and fixing himself in front of Hyukjae. “What are you doing?” he asked truly curious and he wanted to chuckle and smile when Hyukjae jumped cutely from the surprise.
             
“Ah… just… Chaerin is participating in the school’s spring festival and she has to go as a butterfly, I’m sewing her dress,” Hyukjae explained showing the small piece of cloth with brilliant circles all over the small skirt.
             
“Why didn’t you buy it? They sell them already done,” Kyuhyun said raising an eyebrow and Hyukjae chuckled.
             
“To be honest…,” Hyukjae said looking at his still unfinished creation. “I don’t have the money to buy it,” he admitted biting his lower lip.
              
Kyuhyun frowned. “I thought my brother had left you quite a quantity in your personal account,” he said honestly and Hyukjae looked up at him, smiling weakly.
             
“He did,” Hyukjae said. “I actually have two accounts, my own savings and Siwon’s account for me,” he explained. “Both are blocked by social services,” he sighed deeply.
             
Kyuhyun widened his eyes and gasped softly. “What are you living from then?” he asked, because certainly, Hyukjae had never asked anything from him.
             
“I work, remember?” Hyukjae chuckled. “And it’s okay, I just have to wait until everything is done to start all over again.
             
Kyuhyun didn’t even want to start to talk about the court, about social services, about the money and his family. He walked to the couch in front of Hyukjae and sat down, leaning down to rest his elbows in his thighs and interlacing his own fingers, playing with them. “Are you finished already?” Kyuhyun asked changing the topic to a nicer one.
             
Hyukjae smiled. “Almost,” he said and pointed at the unfinished wings. “I just… need to figure how to do this and done,” he said nodding for himself.
             
Kyuhyun simply hummed and they stayed in a comfortable silence, which Kyuhyun would have never imagined would exist between them. Hyukjae kept sewing, tilting his head from time to time to see if he was doing it right and continuing once he had made sure.
             
After another half an hour, Hyukjae stood up and went to the kitchen to get some water. “You can’t sleep?” He asked Kyuhyun as he rested his tired body against the counter.
             
Kyuhyun sighed and turned towards Hyukjae. “I get sleepless nights often,” he said and Hyukjae dedicated him a soft smile.
             
After a few minutes, Hyukjae presented Kyuhyun a glass with cold tea. “Siwon preferred coffee but I remember he once told me you didn’t like it so I prepared tea instead,” he said smiling and Kyuhyun received the glass without saying anything, partly contented that Siwon talked about him and happy that Hyukjae remembered that. “To be honest,” Hyukjae said as he walked again to sit down on the carpeted floor, with the small table in front of him, his hands quickly finding his needle to continue his work. “I also don’t like coffee… I always preferred tea or chocolate.”
             
Kyuhyun chuckled. “Did you differ a lot?” he asked sipping from his glass and Hyukjae nodded.
             
“All the time, in almost everything,” Hyukjae said. 
             
“Why did you stay together then?” Kyuhyun asked truly curious.
             
Hyukjae smiled. “Because we loved each other, we never really fought but we had our differences, we are from different words after all.”
             
“Did he talk about me to you?” Kyuhyun finally asked, partially nervous.
             
Hyukjae giggled. “A lot,” he said nodding and looking up at Kyuhyun. “You were the Kyu baby.”
             
Kyuhyun had to turn away to hide the slight blush that reached his pale cheeks. “He told you that?” he asked annoyed. “He could have said I peed my bed instead,” he said sarcastically.
             
“He did,” Hyukjae laughed softly. “Until you were five apparently.”
             
Kyuhyun groaned and rolled his eyes. “That wasn’t me peeing! It’s just that I get thirsty at night and had to drink water but I took the glass with me and I spilled it all over my bed,” he explained but Hyukjae smiled at him, a smug and playful smile.
             
“I see,” Hyukjae said nodding and Kyuhyun knew he wasn’t believing his words.
             
“It’s true!” Kyuhyun defended.
             
“I’m not saying it’s not,” Hyukjae said and laughed louder when Kyuhyun’s blush went deeper and the man dedicated himself to drink from his cold tea, mumbling a soft ‘whatever’.
             
“What else did he tell you?” Kyuhyun asked after a few minutes.
             
“So many things,” Hyukjae sighed with a soft smile. “He really loved you,” he smiled wider. “He used to always say how much he wanted for you to find a beautiful and kind person to marry.”
             
And even when he didn’t say it, Kyuhyun was sure his words were more like ‘a beautiful and kind person like Hyukjae’. Kyuhyun looked down, remembering that short letter Siwon had left for him and that made him so furious. It was still ridiculous, to love his brother’s wife. But now Kyuhyun was starting to at least be civil with him.
             
“I was once engaged,” Kyuhyun admitted when the clock hit four in the morning.
             
Hyukjae smiled gently. “I know,” he said and Kyuhyun gasped loudly, turning up to see Hyukjae with a shocked expression.
             
“How do you know that?” Kyuhyun asked truly amazed. “Not even my mother, much less my brother knew about that!”
             
“One of all those times we went to visit you, I saw your ring when we were in the entrance, I never went past it though, but I remember once seeing it in your ring finger. I was really happy for you,” Hyukjae admitted and Kyuhyun looked down, partly guilty because it was right, Hyukjae never, not even once went into his house, Siwon’s house. “What happened?” Hyukjae asked gently.
             
Kyuhyun pursed his lips and stood up. “I’ll go to sleep now,” he said coldly and left the empty glass in the kitchen counter.
             
Hyukjae bit his lower lip nervously and nodded. “Have a nice rest,” he said, obviously feeling bad for asking that to Kyuhyun, something as personal that was too much to share for the one that ruined his family. He sighed as Kyuhyun disappeared again in his room and he looked down. He had finished the wings a while ago but he didn’t want to ruin their conversation.
             
Apparently, it would have been better to not even touch that topic.
           
   up