Ch. [32]

Blue Tomorrow

down

        
It took Hyukjae a weak to finally be able to move his legs and arms correctly, without feeling they weighted so much and they were extremely long. Kyuhyun had been staying the night with him, in the same bed while holding his hand because he still was afraid to break Hyukjae if he hugged him.

Before going to sleep, Kyuhyun would talk about how their baby was doing, what improvements he had that day or how many minutes he had stayed without the artificial breather that afternoon. Hyukjae knew it already, the doctors always told him, but he liked to hear it from Kyuhyun the most. “Kyu, you spend too much time in the hospital…,” Hyukjae started gently.

Kyuhyun smiled. “But being here is what I like the most,” he said with those honest eyes that Hyukjae had fell in love with. “You’re here, my baby is here, mom brings Chaerin here, everyone I love is gathered right here.”

Hyukjae chuckled. “What about the company?” he asked truly concerned, because Kyuhyun had spent weeks in that hospital, only going to the neonatal intensive care unit to his room and back there.

“They’re doing fine, mom is supervising every day,” Kyuhyun said taking Hyukjae’s hand and kissing it gently. “You worry too much.”

Hyukjae sighed and nodded softly, leaning against Kyuhyun’s body slightly because even when he only had a few hours in which he was decently conscious, Kyuhyun was always there, as if he knew when he was going to wake up.

“They say I can bring our baby soon,” Kyuhyun announced with a huge smile, running his thumb against Hyukjae’s hand. “They say they hope for him to be healthy and mature enough to pay a visit to you… even just for a few hours…”

Hyukjae’s smile grew wider and he closed his eyes. “Thank you Kyuhyun,” he said and sighed deeply in tiredness. “I love you.”

Kyuhyun smiled and caressed Hyukjae’s hair softly. “I love you too Hyukkie,” he said before Hyukjae nodded gently, letting his body relax with all the medication he had to go through.

Kyuhyun watched how Hyukjae fell asleep silently, with a soft smile in his lips. He leaned closer and pecked his lips, staying there a few more hours before kissing his forehead and going out to visit his baby and talk about how good Hyukjae was doing and how much he wanted to see him.

The next time Hyukjae opened his eyes, it wasn’t Kyuhyun the one sitting by his side taking his hand. It was Jihyun just standing there, in front of his bed with her shades on and that look that always made her look so glamorous. 

Hyukjae’s heart started beating hard and be tried to breathe evenly, because he was getting nervous.

But then, then Hyukjae saw how Jihyun took her shades away and they locked their gazes, Hyukjae’s tired eyes against her cold ones.

Hyukjae could see it, the warmth that was in her eyes. “Seems like bad people will never die,” Jihyun commented but Hyukjae caught a warm tone in the sentence.

“I’m immortal then,” Hyukjae said nervously, barely moving because he just woke up and his body was still tired.

Jihyun chuckled. “Kyuhyun said you wanted to see Chaerin,” she informed and Hyukjae was dumbfounded because it was the very first time he heard the women pronouncing his daughter’s name. 

“I- Is she here?” Hyukjae asked with her hopes up because he has been missing the small girl way too much and he couldn’t wait to have her in her arms.

“I brought her,” Jihyun said turning away. “I’ll just lend her to you for a few minutes, we still have to go shopping,” she said and Hyukjae felt like he was in some kind of parallel world. “Chaerin, come here,” Jihyun ordered walking to the door and it opened after a few seconds, revealing a small girl wearing an expensive dress but wit hthe same bright smile that Hyukjae had missed so much.

“Mommy!” Chaerin exclaimed before running to the bed.

“Careful,” Jihyun warned and the girl stopped just when she was about to jump towards her mother’s arms. She smiled brightly though, and kissed Hyukjae’s cheek. 

“Mommy, I missed you,” Chaerin confessed. “I’m so happy you’re awake! Let’s play together!”

Hyukjae smiled and took his daughter’s hand. “After I get discharged, I promise you I’ll play all day long with you,” he promised and Jihyun cleared .

“Excuse me,” Jihyun said firmly. “This little miss is going with me to the opera on Fridays and shopping on Wednesdays, you can’t stay with her all the time, you also have a baby to take care and let’s not forget the newborn.”

Hyukjae looked at Jihyun and he left behind the surprise of her words before laughing softly. “Kyuhyun is a baby?” he asked as Chaerin was now caressing his hair lovingly.

Jihyun flipped her hair. “Well, you sleep almost all day long so maybe you haven’t noticed how he goes around with the nurses and doctors bragging about his baby boy.”

Hyukjae smiled sweetly, imagining Kyuhyun’s smile. How much he deserved that happiness. “Does he?” he asked and smiled when Chaerin suddenly hugged his arm. He turned and his daughter’s hair. “Baby, are you going out with Jihyun-shi?”

Chaerin grinned and nodded eagerly. “We play at her house! It’s really big!” Chaerin exclaimed. “And she has a pool! Grandma is really cool!”

When Hyukjae turned to Jihyun, he could only smile at the look of pride and slight embarrassment she was feeling. “Thank you,” he said sincerely.

“Yeah well,” Jihyun cleared . “If I can’t win over my enemy I rather be with him,” she said and Hyukjae chuckled.

“Still, thanks,” Hyukjae said honestly.

Jihyun turned around, trying to hide the slight smile she was about to show. “Chaerin, let’s go,” she ordered. “We have a party to plan.”

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow and looked at Chaerin who was looking at her grandmother with bright eyes. “Which party?” he finally asked curious.

Chaerin’s smile grew bigger. “The baby’s welcome party mommy!” she exclaimed and kissed his forehead before running to Jihyun. “Mommy! I’ll come back soon!”

Hyukjae chuckled and nodded. “Have fun baby,” he could only say and watched how the two of them walked away. He looked down and bit his lower lip, letting warm tears fall down his eyes because he had missed Chaerin so much and he barely was with her for a few minutes. But he also knew that they were breaking several rules letting a girl come into that section of the hospital.

Warm arms wrapped around his shoulder and he leaned against that firm chest. “It’s okay Hyukkie, she’ll be fine.”

Hyukjae closed his eyes and cried softly. “I didn’t realize how much I missed her…,” he said but he knew that he wasn’t crying only for that. He was also relieved that Jihyun didn’t hate him anymore. She wasn’t particularly nice with him but she wasn’t insulting him like he always did before and now she was accepting his daughter.

“I know Hyukkie, but she’s doing fine,” Kyuhyun whispered kissing his head gently. “Take a rest now Hyuk, you must be tired.”

Hyukjae shook his head and cried softly. “I want to go home already…”

Kyuhyun smiled and kissed his forehead softly. “Soon,” he promised. “When your body can finally stand your new kidney and when you can eat greatly.”

“I can eat already…,” Hyukjae defended uselessly.

“Jelly isn’t food Hyuk, that’s the only thing you can barely eat right now,” Kyuhyun said with a soft smile. “Let’s take our time…”

Hyukjae sighed and nodded softly, closing his eyes when his exhausted body told him to. “I don’t want to sleep just yet…,” he whispered looking for Kyuhyun’s hand and smiling when the taller squeezed it gently.

“I’ll be here when you wake up,” Kyuhyun promised kissing his lips. “Rest well.”

Hyukjae could only hum, letting his conscious fade away. 
           
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
          
It was until one month later that Kyuhyun convinced the doctors to let him take his baby to Hyukjae’s room. It was way bigger than when he was born and Kyuhyun knew he was already healthy, the doctors said it too.

It was the very first time his baby was going out of the incubator and it was also the very first time Kyuhyun would carry him in his arms.

Kyuhyun was nervous, moving like a scared little puppy, watching with bright eyes how the nurses opened the small box and covered his baby into a light blue small blanket that seemed so comfortable and warm. “Extend your arms,” the nurse said and Kyuhyun did as he was told, nervously extending his shaky arms and making the nurses giggle at his clumsiness. 

“W-What if I break him?” Kyuhyun asked nervously, looking how the nurses placed the baby careful against his chest and arms and he wrapped his hands around the small and tiny body, feeling how the warmth was being shared.

Kyuhyun didn’t know anything else. He just dedicated himself to look at his baby and smile idiotically, giggling like a shy high school girl because his baby was sleeping peacefully but was still gently and reaching for the source of warmth that was Kyuhyun’s body.

He didn’t know how much it was but later on he was told he was standing there hugging his baby and looking at him for at least one hour. 

He walked slowly, with a nurse following him closely. He went to the other floor and walked to that door that was separating him from Hyukjae. “Mommy’s going to cry but don’t worry, it’ll be okay, he’s just really happy,” Kyuhyun explained to the baby that was now waking up, as if reading himself for the big event. “You already know him, you stayed together for months…,” he smiled. “You’ll love him as much as I do.”

The baby opened his eyes that seemed to big in comparison to his small face and reached his hand up to the ceiling. Kyuhyun smiled and quickly offered him his fingers for him to play, which the baby gladly did and wrapped his tiny fingers around.

The nurse in his back could only smile, watching how much Kyuhyun loved his baby, how he was there by the incubator’s side every day telling him about his day while caressing his body lovingly. She was sure it was that warmth that emitted from his father what made him to grow health and quickly. “Here we go, are you ready champion?”

The baby yawned slowly and Kyuhyun took that as a yes.

He opened the door and looked how Hyukjae was resting his body against those million of pillows so he was sitting comfortably. Hyukjae looked up when he heard the door opening and his eyes brightened as he saw Kyuhyun coming in with a baby in his arms.

Hyukjae shook his head and covered his mouth with his hands to cover his sobs of happiness. He let out his tears as he reached his hands to take the small and tiny baby in his arms and Kyuhyun gladly did so.

Kyuhyun saw how Hyukjae wrapped the baby with his arms naturally, as if their bodies were made to fit each other. Maybe it was like that, since he was formed inside him. He smiled gently and cried softly. “It’s so beautiful…,” he whispered and Kyuhyun kissed Hyukjae’s temple gently.

“Like you,” Kyuhyun said fixing himself by the side of the bed and rounding Hyukjae’s shoulders with his arm. “So perfect,” he sighed resting his chin against Hyukjae’s shoulders.

Hyukjae giggled when the baby yawed again. “He’s tired…,” he whispered and Kyuhyun grinned widely at the connection they shared already. “I wish Chaerin and your mother were here…”

Kyuhyun smiled gently. “They can come later,” he said and sighed softly, taking his finger to play with his baby’s fingers. “Hyuk… how can you be so perfect? look what you just did… it’s a baby… you made a baby…”

Hyukjae let go of his tears and shook his head. “We made a baby Kyuhyun…,” he whispered with shaky voice. “Oh god… I love him so much already…”

Kyuhyun couldn’t help it. Hyukjae was perfect, his baby was perfect. There was nothing else he wished to anymore. 

It was after almost another hour of Hyukjae and Kyuhyun admiring their baby that the nurse told them he needed to rest and come back to the incubator.

Hyukjae didn’t want to let go but he had to when Kyuhyun told him he needed to be in the incubator. He kissed his baby’s forehead lovingly, the tiny baby reaching for his own warmth with his tiny fingers, as if calling for Hyukjae.

Hyukjae cried when they took the baby away and when Kyuhyun left the baby again in the incubator, it also started to cry, calling for his parents.
           
up