Ch. [24]

Blue Tomorrow

 

down
        
“It’s a glioneuronal tumor,” the doctor explained when they were watching Chaerin still sleeping from the medication just a few hours before. “It’s located in the temporal lobe,” he continued signaling the place with his hands in his own head. “It’s common on children and don’t worry, it’s benign,” he said and smiled gently.

Hyukjae looked at the doctor, squeezing Kyuhyun’s hand so tightly that the taller thought it would break anytime soon.

“Seizures are a usual symptom of epilepsy, caused by the location of the tumor. I’m surprised doctors hadn’t noticed it’s resistant to medicine,” the doctor wandered out loud. “It will be removed by surgery of course,” he then said. 

It took just some minutes for the neurosurgeon to explain the procedure of the surgery and how it would end with all the seizures, Kyuhyun and Hyukjae stood there, waiting for Chaerin to wake up from her slumber.

“What if something goes wrong?” Hyukjae asked worriedly, looking at his daughter.

“Nothing will go wrong,” Kyuhyun assured hugging Hyukjae gently. “You heard him, it’s not as dangerous as other surgeries.”

“But it’s still dangerous Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae said looking at the taller. “They’ll open her head for God’s sake!”

Kyuhyun gulped nervously, he couldn’t hide the fact that him too, was anxious because of it. “But everything will go right,” he tried again, making Hyukjae look at Chaerin and kiss her forehead.

“Thank you Kyu,” Hyukjae said. “And I’m sorry… it looks as if I only call when I need something…”

Kyuhyun smiled. “I wished you would need me all the time then, I would get to be by your side forever,” he said and Hyukjae blushed, looking away.

Hyukjae bit his lower lip. “The restriction order-”

“You know it’s getting annulled,” Kyuhyun said. “I’m just waiting for the call.”

Hyukjae swallowed the lump in his throat. “If not… you’ll get arrested…,” he said sighing loudly. “I’m sorry Kyuhyun, I always get you into trouble…”

“My life isn’t boring anymore thanks to you and this little girl,” Kyuhyun said smiling at Hyukjae and just when Hyukjae was about to answer, Chaerin moaned in her sleep, making them know she was waking up.

“Oh baby… Chaerin, are you okay honey?” Hyukjae asked hurriedly, caressing Chaerin’s forehead gently.

Chaerin pouted and rubbed her eyes softly. “My hands are heavy…,” she whined and Hyukjae smiled, sighing loudly. 

Chaerin didn’t look so worried when they told her that her head was going to be opened, instead, she even looked excited about it. “I won’t shake anymore?” she asked with a wide smile and Hyukjae chuckled.

“No baby, you won’t shake anymore,” Hyukjae assured and Chaerin giggled. 

“I want to get it out already!” Chaerin exclaimed excited.

“Oppa will take you to buy ice cream after you get discharged pretty,” Kyuhyun said smiling to the girl whose eyes were a bright as the sun. “And we’ll go to the movies and the amusement park also.”

“Really?! I can’t wait!” Chaerin said giggling.

“You’ll have to pretty, but I promise you, it’ll be really fun,” Kyuhyun assured.

The door opened again and the same doctor, together with some nurses came in with a soft smile in their faces, probably used to dealing with patients all day long.

The procedure was explained all over again and Chaerin only nodded, not getting half of the words she was being told. They said the surgery would be the next day so Chaerin had to rest and eat only the hospital’s food, to which the girl pouted and whined but accepted after Kyuhyun promised her a huge cake when she was discharged.
           
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
          
They both were waiting outside, sitting side by side in the hall, their hands clasped together and their fingers intertwined as they waited patiently for Chaerin to be ready for the surgery.

Hyukjae’s phone rang and Kyuhyun’s also almost instantly. They looked at each other puzzled and nervous, because they were sure the callers were about to tell them if the restriction order was over or still on.

Kyuhyun answered first and then Hyukjae as well, tightening their hold in each other’s hands.

Secretly, Hyukjae wanted to still keep Kyuhyun away from him and his baby, but he knew that the other didn’t deserve it. Now that he was pregnant, he have even less energy to fight for Kyuhyun, but then again, he had now more than one reason to do so. Maybe, if they were together, they could stand everything.

Both ended the call and looked at the nothingness. Hyukjae smiled faintly and stood up, letting go of Kyuhyun’s hand. He didn’t say anything and went to the bathroom to look at himself in the mirror, his smile grew wider when Kyuhyun came in behind him and hugged him from behind, hiding his face against his shoulder.

“Hyukjae,” Kyuhyun called, pulling Hyukjae’s body closer to his because he wanted to feel the other melting with him.

“Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae called back, placing his hands over Kyuhyun’s on his waist.

“I love you,” Kyuhyun said lovingly, kissing Hyukjae’s neck gently.

Hyukjae smiled and looked up at their reflection. “I love you too,” he said biting his lower lip and turning around slightly, cupping Kyuhyun’s cheeks between his hands. “And I’m sorry you had to go through all this… if only I was strong enough for you Kyuhyun, I-”

Kyuhyun silenced him with a soft kiss. “You don’t need to be strong Hyukjae,” he said. “You just need to be with me, I’ll protect you.”

It was the perfect moment for Hyukjae to blurt out he was pregnant and that he did want to be with Kyuhyun. But then again, he knew Jihyun would hate it and Kyuhyun would be torn apart once more. 

“I have to go check on Chaerin,” Hyukjae said pushing Kyuhyun away and looking down. “She must be worried I’m not there.”

Kyuhyun simply nodded, not giving up but waiting for Hyukjae to accept. The restriction order was gone and he could be with them for then on without being arrested just because of that. It was just not the time to insist, not when Chaerin was about to get into surgery.

When Kyuhyun went out from the bathroom, he saw Hyukjae leaning against a wall, his eyes closed and his hand massaging his temple. He quickly went to the other and held him steady in his arms. “Hyuk, are you alright? I think we should also see a doctor to check you up,” he said truly concerned, starting to panic that maybe he had something too. How awful would it be for Kyuhyun to lose once again the love he had always craved for?

Hyukjae sighed and opened his eyes. “I’m fine,” he said smiling weakly. “Let’s just go and look for Chaerin,” he said and Kyuhyun nodded absent minded. He was going to make sure Hyukjae would see a doctor sooner or later, maybe while Chaerin was going through the surgery, which he trusted, was going to be perfect.

When they reached the room, Chaerin was just about to go into the surgery room and she was biting her small lower lip and playing with her fingers. “Everything will be fine baby, we’ll be here waiting for you okay?” Hyukjae asked caressing his daughter’s hair.

Chaerin simply nodded, too scared to even talk.

Kyuhyun smiled and kissed Chaerin’s forehead. “I’ll secretly bring you some ice cream,” he whispered for only the small girl to hear and she giggled, nodding. “It’s going to be our secret okay?” Kyuhyun asked and Chaerin nodded again, glancing at Hyukjae who was pouting because he wasn’t included in the conversation.

“What are you talking about?” Hyukjae asked crossing his hands over his chest and Chaerin giggled even more. 

“Mommy can’t know,” Chaerin sang and Hyukjae gasped.

“You Choi Chaerin, are hiding something from me?” Hyukjae asked dangerously and the small girl froze at the idea.

“Nope, she’s obeying me,” Kyuhyun said smiling at Hyukjae. “Because she’s a good girl and she can keep a secret,” he sang pecking the small girl’s cheek. “Right pretty?”

“Yes!” Chaerin exclaimed happily.

Hyukjae sighed and walked forward, kissing Chaerin’s cheek as well. “What about now?” he asked and the girl grinned.

Chaerin looked at Hyukjae. “Oppa said-”

Kyuhyun kissed his other cheek. “It’s a secret princess, you can’t tell him,” he said playfully and Chaerin blushed, biting her lower lip and looking down ashamed.

“You’re spoiling my daughter Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae said hugging the small girl tightly.

Kyuhyun chuckled. “There’s no one else I can spoil,” he said. “And even if there were, I wouldn’t stop.”

Hyukjae sighed and shook his head, turning up when he heard the door opening and the doctor and some nurses walking in. “Ready?” the man asked and Hyukjae felt his heart clench in worry.

“Yes,” Chaerin answered instead, proving how strong she was.

Hyukjae smiled weakly and nodded, not trusting his voice.

“I’ll have to ask you to leave, we must prepare her and take her to the operation room,” the doctor said with a kind smile and Chaerin took Hyukjae’s hand, pulling him closer until she hugged his waist. 

“I’ll be back, be a good boy and don’t make mummy too hungry,” Chaerin whispered in a scolding tone, just the way she talked to her dolls when she was playing.

Hyukjae smiled gently and turned to Kyuhyun who was simply talking to the doctor, not noticing the scene. “He’s worried so he wants you to be healthy,” Hyukjae said.

“Really?” Chaerin giggled happily. “I’ll come out soon,” she said to the unnoticeable womb.

Hyukjae smiled and with one last kiss to his daughter’s cheek, he went out followed by Kyuhyun holding his waist steady.

As soon as Hyukjae was out, his smile faded and he bit his lower lip nervously. “Oh god… fifteen hours is so long…,” he said already trembling lightly.

Kyuhyun sighed and hugged Hyukjae tightly. “Everything is going to be okay,” he said assuring. “She’s a strong girl, just like you.”

Hyukjae relaxed slightly. “She’s going to come out healthy right?” he asked. “Nothing bad will happen in there…”

“Of course she’ll come out healthy,” Kyuhyun said smiling and Hyukjae’s back. 

Hyukjae smiled to Kyuhyun and sighed deeply. “Thank you Kyuhyun… really… thank you so much…”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “If you’re so thankful…,” he tried again. “Why don’t you come back to live with me again?”

Hyukjae froze. “K-Kyuhyun… that-”

“Wait till I’m finished Hyuk,” Kyuhyun said placing his index finger against Hyukjae’s lips. “Just stay there until Chaerin gets completely fine, the hospital is closer from my own house and I can take you wherever you want me to anytime.”

Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun. “Still… Kyuhyun… I still don’t think this is right… Siwon was your-”

“Brother, I know,” Kyuhyun said serious, as if for now, that was something heavy he was carrying. “I know he was my brother and I know he died barely a year ago, but you know what? I don’t care, I love you and if I have to fight to be by your side, then I will,” he said firmly and looked at Hyukjae’s eyes, glowing with tears already.

“B-But Kyuhyun… I-”

“I know I’ve said hurtful things Hyuk,” Kyuhyun said taking Hyukjae’s hands. “But please… please let me fight… don’t give up on me either… please…”

Hyukjae felt his head spinning and he stumbled slightly. “Kyuhyun…,” he called out of reflex before collapsing down.

Kyuhyun was fast at catching Hyukjae’s body and he panicked, yelling for someone to help him because he expected everything, a slap even, but not Hyukjae fainting like that.
           
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
          
“How’s he?” Kyuhyun asked as soon as the doctor came out from the emergency’s room. 

Now Kyuhyun was starting to even tremble in worry. Chaerin was in the operation room and Hyukjae in the emergency one. The only thing he needed to make it the worst situation ever possible was for his mother to also be sick. “He’s fine, he’s waking up right now,” the doctor said with a kind smile.

Kyuhyun sighed in relief. “Do you know why he fainted?” he asked, slightly frustrated because his mind was way too busy thinking in Hyukjae and Chaerin.

“He hasn’t been eating well I suppose, since his glucose is low,” the doctor started with a firm tone. “I would like you to make sure he eats well, he has to take care of the baby.”

Kyuhyun froze and looked at the doctor. Did he know about Chaerin? “The baby?” he asked, just making sure. “Are we talking about the same patient? Lee Hyukjae?”

The doctor also froze and looked at the record in his hands. “Lee Hyukjae,” he assured. “Two months of pregnancy.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t sure if what he felt was happiness, pure ecstasy or fear, fear of losing Hyukjae the same way he lost Ryeowook back then.
           
up