Packed

Something to Keep

 

The car ride to the resort was extremely uncomfortable. So far, we had been driving on the road for two hours, and my started to ache. I tapped my mom's shoulder behind the cat seat. "Mom, can we stop for a second?" She turned her head slightly to acknowledge me. 
"There's a rest stop in another mile. We'll stop there." She told me. I let out a small groan, having to wait a bit longer. Minhyuk sat next to me fast asleep. His head lay lifeless against the window and his eyelids were closed shut. I envied how he was able to sleep so leisurely in the ride, but I knew once he woke up, he'd have the worst neck pain. 

The rest stop looked deserted. There were literally only restrooms present and a small inn looking building that sold on-the-road essentials. After using the restroom and having a little stretch, I walked into the building looking for...I don't even know; I just went in for the sake of curiosity. There were snacks, drinks, and small souvenirs like key chains being sold. It was similar to a gas station stop. I looked at the trinkets that said what city/town we were in right now. Apparently we were in a town called YongPyong. I tilted my head at the name. The town was the name of the town where the ski resort my family and I were headed. I approached the cashier hoping he’d clarify.

“Excuse me? Is Phoenix Ski Resort nearby?” The cashier looked up from his newspaper. He was a middle aged man with early wrinkles and potential eye bags. He folded his newspaper and pulled out a notepad and pen; he started drawing out a general map for me. When he finished his outline, he turned the paper around and started telling me the directions. 

"It should be another mile or so from here." The man concluded. I nodded thankfully and took the paper. I my heel back toward the car. I opened the door and tapped my dad in the shoulder to give him the piece of paper I had acquired.

"I didn't need directions Hyunji." He told me. I shrugged my shoulders regardless. I didn't ask for the directions but the guy gave it to me anyways. My dad started the car after everyone finished their business then reto the road. Minhyuk remained in the same spot we left him when we stopped, except he was finally awake. He unbuckled his seatbelt and twisted his back, creating multiple cracking sounds. I winced a bit at the sound because it was so loud. 


 

 

After thirty more minutes of driving, we arrived at the resort. The frost from the snow made the trip a bit longer on our way, making the roads slippery. Minhyuk and I started taking bags out of the trunk while my parents head inside to check us in. I looked to my right to see the ski lift up to the mountain behind the main building. I tried to peek behind to see how big the mountain was, but Minhyuk nudged me with a bag to get my attention, a grin playing along his lips. I smiled at my cheerful brother, grateful we had this vacation to spend with each other.

 

The two of us lugged all the baggage to each designated room. My parents had booked themselves a single room with a king size bed, while Minhyuk and I each had a singles bedroom, being brother and sister. I flung my things against the wall and collapsed on my bed. The sheets were fresh and the comforter was soft and fluffy. I rolled my head into the soft down feathered pillows, which caused my head to slowly sink inside. I chuckled to myself at my own fun before the bed shifted due to more weight. A body fell on top of mine, preventing me from getting up in one go.

 

“Oppa!” I yelled. I heard devilish chuckles in the background. Chuckles? I turned my head, which was draped with hair covering my eyes and vision, to not see Minhyuk. A head of jet black hair and dark brown eyes looked at me. “Ilhoon-ah!” I screamed. Ilhoon smiled at me brightly before getting yanked off by none other than Lee Minhyuk.

 

“Yah! Get off my delicate sister!” Minhyuk pulled him off. Despite my brother’s short physique, he was rather strong. Plus, he had muscles- which only freaked me out even more. My brother’s other friends enjoyed the scene rather than trying to break it apart.

“Guys! Calm down!” I tried to yell over the commotion. I sat up in bed and stood between them along with Eunkwang by my side. “Oh sure. Now you cut in.” I rolled my eyes at the eldest in the room. Eunkwang ignored me and took Ilhoon out of Minhyuk’s arms. In return, Minhyuk twirled me around so that I was standing behind him. His arm was out in front of my stomach as if to blockade me.

 

“Don’t touch her, got it?” Minhyuk tried to sound serious but it wasn’t fooling anyone. We all knew that Minhyuk was one of the goofiest and most aloof people out of the seven boys. Then again, I thought all of Minhyuk’s friends were weird. In the good way. I pushed my brother’s back, causing him to stumble forward and ruin his moment. Ilhoon laughed shortly before Minhyuk shot his daggers at him again. Soon my parents walked in to see what was going on. I was sure this whole scene was heard throughout the corridors disturbing the other guests. My parents didn’t look upset or angry but more pleased we had settled in well. Turns out, they knew BTOB would be here.

“All of us are spending Christmas together?” I chimed. My father nodded at me and saluted us children before the room. I let out a small laugh of confusion, feeling deceived.

“Proper hugs then?” Eunkwang said. I smiled at his interjection and gave him a hug around the waist as well as for the rest of the boys. When it came to Ilhoon, Minhyuk watched us like a hawk. When we embraced each other, he wouldn’t let it last for more than three seconds before pulling us apart. I ignored his actions because I knew he’d get over it in no time. Hopefully this wouldn’t be a common thing…for anyone..

 

 

We all prepared for dinner downstairs later in the evening. I dressed casually in jeans and a black blazer since we were only eating in the restaurant at the lobby for the first night. It was Japanese cuisine. My parents discussed with all of us (including BTOB) what our activities would be for the next three days. Christmas was the coming Sunday; and we had planned one day of skiing, one of snowboarding, and one of sleigh riding. This ski resort was popular for its different snow mountain levels so we youngsters were determined to try them all. On the remaining two days my parents would think of something. Then it would be Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! Everything looked like it would go smoothly for the next week.


*steals Ilhoon away*