Test

Something to Keep

 

I strolled out of my bathroom, leaving the the door wide open to let all the warm steam escape after my shower. I wrapped my hair in my towel and head for my dresser. Sunhee came out of the closet, throwing a set of clothes on hangers onto her bed. 
 
"Hey, is this really a good idea?" She eyed me with concern. 
"Yeah, why wouldn't it be?" I shrugged nonchalantly. About an hour ago, I called Daehyun and asked him if he wanted to have dinner with me tonight. 
"Because this isn't ethical," Sunhee responded. I took a second to ponder her argument. The reason I asked Daehyun out to dinner was to test something. To test if I really did have feelings for him. I already knew he had feelings for me so I wasn't worried about rejection. Honestly, I didn't want to put up with the heart wrenching and confusing process of finding out my feelings for Daehyun. The butterflies, fluttering heart, comfort, sweet nervousness. Those were what my test was looking for. 
 
"It's logical," I said throwing an outfit on my own bed. Sunhee grabbed my wrist after I unwrapped my hair to put my towel to the side. 
"Hyunji, you're playing with Daehyun's feelings like this. This whole 'test date' or whatever the hell you call it, doesn't make sense." I sighed annoyed at her nagging. She didn't understand what I was trying to do. I yanked my wrist away and ignored her. 
"You know what? Fine. Go. I'm going to call Youngjae. We'll all go." She told me in an authoritative tone, ensuring that I won't resist. 
"Sure. Do whatever you want." I ended our quarrel and the both of us got ready for dinner. 
 
After getting ready, Sunhee and I left together to the elevator. When we reached, we stood in silence for a bit. I knew she was frustrated with me, but it couldn't be helped. 
 
"You look pretty," she commented. I looked at her then myself up and down. 
"Thanks," I said shyly, "You always look pretty Sunhee," I replied. I heard Sunhee chuckle a bit at my compliment, which she returned with a nod and a modest smile. 
 
When we reached the main lobby of our dorm building the lights were brightly lit. There weren't many students, which sort of upset me because the school was wasting energy. Such an environmentalist. Sunhee and I went outside to wait for the two guys who came ten minutes later. 
 
The two of them stood in front of us cooly with hands in their pockets and smiled. 
"Did you wait long?" Youngjae spoke. 
"Nope. Let's eat." Sunhee smiled brightly at Youngjae, probably forgetting she was double dating with Daehyun and me. Daehyun held his arm out for me to take and motioned to follow the latter. I smiled and took it, linking my arm with his. Here we go.
 
Trying to act like gentlemen, the two guys made sure not to tell us where we were eating, and keeping prices a secret. Which was pretty funny since Sunhee and I both asked the two to come out in the first place. They took us a bit further away from the university, further than the bar. We arrived at an extravagant looking restaurant with valet parking, doorman, and everything. Sunhee and I stood in shock looking at the line then the building. We faced each other then to Daehyun and Youngjae. 
 
"We're going to eat here?" Sunhee's eyes widened at Youngjae. Youngjae smiled and nodded innocently at my friend,  taking her hand into his. 
"How can you afford this?" I asked Daehyun. He shrugged his shoulders and grinned proudly. 
"We know people. C'mon, let's go." He slipped his hand into mine and gently tugged me. I nearly jumped at the contact but smiled, looking at how our hands intertwined with each other. 
"How do you know people?" 
"Hyunji, stop asking questions." Daehyun turned back to look at me and held the door open. I pouted at him for dodging my question and stuck my tongue out, walking in the restaurant. 
 
Sunhee and I sat next to each other with the two boys across from us. We carefully eyed the menu our waiter had given us, looking for the cheapest possible item. I looked at Sunhee feeling a little weird. I almost didn't want to buy anything for the sake of the guys' pocketbooks. 
 
"Did you two decide yet?" Youngjae asked acting oblivious toward our hesitation. 
"Uh, Sunhee and I will just share something," I suggested. 
"Yeah, great idea." She agreed with me. Youngjae rolled his eyes and Daehyun sat trying to suppress a laugh. 
"Yah..what's so funny?" I asked him. He shook his head and remained silent. Behind him I saw a table of four glamorous girls who looked very familiar. My eyes doubled when I recognized them. 
 
"Sunhee, isn't that SECRET?" I nudged my friend who imitated my struck reaction. Daehyun and Youngjae turned around and saw the table Sunhee and I were looking at. One of the girls from the group all of a sudden stood up and started walking toward our table. The two boys across faced us again and simply replied "oh yeah." 
 
"Hello," The girl who stood before our table was SECRET's visual, Sunhwa. She was so stunning, even more so in person. Sunhee and I looked at her starstruck. 
"Hi noona," Daehyun and Youngjae greeted her together with a small wave. Sunhwa giggled at them, sounding like a complete angel. Sunhee and I eyed the guys confused. 
"I'm Sunhwa. It's nice to meet you," she said to us. We bowed politely at her while trying to comprehend the situation. She smiled and laughed again, probably at how taken aback the two of us were. "Well, I won't interrupt you anymore. I just wanted to check on my dongsaengs. Have a good time." Sunhwa waved at us then winked at Daehyun and Youngjae who waved back in response. 
 
As soon as Sunhwa left, I bombarded Daehyun and Youngjae with questions. 
"How do you know SECRET's Sunhwa?" 
"We know all of them." Youngjae said. 
"What the?" Sunhee interjected, making Youngjae laugh. 
"How?" I asked. 
"I told you we knew people," Daehyun said wiggling his eyebrows at me. I stared at him dumbfounded. This guy is full of surprises
 
The rest of the night we chatted during dinner looking like riffraff compare to the others eating in the restaurant, who were practically whispering in conversation while we talked in normal voices. After dinner we were all completely full, so we took a slow stroll around the city before heading back to the university. The whole time Youngjae and Sunhee walked ahead of us, enjoying each others' company. They were so comfortable as if they had been a couple for a long time. Occasionally, I saw Sunhee hit Youngjae playfully about whatever it was they were talking about; and Youngjae would place his arm around her shoulder for bit before taking it back.
 
Daehyun and I walked side by side as well, talking about anything. We didn't have any skin ship, which I guess was relieving on both our parts. One time his hand brushed mine and we just continued walking as if it didn't happen. I bit my lip to hide my smile after recalling the thought. 
 
"Oh, what's so funny?" I looked at Daehyun who looked at me with an amused smile. I wasn't laughing though. 
"Your face," I teased. His mouth gaped in shock and he grabbed my shoulders bringing me down to face the ground. He was tickling me. 
"Y-yah! S-stop!" I managed to yelp in between my laughter. Sunhee and Youngjae turned around after hearing my cry for help. Daehyun stopped then released me. I turned to face him and hit his chest. 
"Yah," I said with a laugh. Daehyun was laughing at me. His eyes tugged up, matching his smile. He covered his mouth trying to hide it. I was a bit disappointed because he was trying to cover his smile. Daehyun really did have a nice smile. It was really bright and cute too. After a while Daehyun realized I was staring. He snapped his fingers at me. I narrowed my eyes at him to cover my act up. Daehyun rolled his eyes and took my hand to follow the two friends ahead of us. 
"Let's hurry." 
 
We arrived back at the university and Daehyun and Youngjae walked us to our dorm building. We said our brief goodbyes since we were all tired after walking so much. 
 
In the elevator Sunhee didn't ask about how the whole date thing went and I was grateful. I didn't want my happy mood to be ruined by that conversation. 
 
As soon as we entered the dorm room, we quickly changed into our sleeping clothes and got into bed. 
"Good night Hyunji," Sunhee yawned and turned herself in her blanket. 
"Good night," I said. I was too tired to write an entry in my journal so I closed my eyes and drifted off into my sleep. 

GUYS!!! It's BTOB's one year anniversary!!! #365DaysWithBTOB :D