Comfort

Something to Keep

 

I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling after my barely sufficient breakfast with Sunhee. 
 
"You didn't think about what I felt when you called me? How I felt when you asked me out? Nothing about me crossed your mind?"
 
Daehyun's voice played in my head again and again. I groaned in frustration. 
"UGH!" Sunhee came by and sat on the edge of my bed. 
"I'm sorry, Hyunji." 
"What the hell are you sorry for?" I snarled. I didn't mean to take my anger out on her, but it came out that way unfortunately. Luckily Sunhee knew me and didn't take my comment personally. She laid back resting her head on my back. My face was buried in my pillow to wallow around in my own thoughts. The only thing that filled my mind was Daehyun's expression when he looked at me-full of hurt, betrayal, and confusion. 
 
 
 
 
The next day
 
To my surprise, I actually slept like a log last night. I must've fallen asleep around 11 o'clock though. I remembered watching some silly variety shows and music programs until I fell asleep to let my mind escape (which was a stupid idea by the way). I wrote an entry into my journal for the first time in about a week. That was probably the most productive thing I did besides laundry yesterday. 
 
Dear Minhyuk oppa, 
 
I realized I complain a lot in my letters to you. I'm sorry you have to put up with it. That's another thing. I find myself saying "sorry" much more often. Especially over this weekend. But I haven't said it in person yet. I just keep playing the scenarios in my head. 
 
I really am a heartless person aren't I?
 
 
 
I left to history class before Sunhee this time. I wanted to walk by myself for a bit, hoping to clear my mind. On my way, I saw Daehyun and his friends at the school monument. I stopped and watched them for a while. All the boys were standing around laughing. Even Daehyun. Did he move on? A small smile played on my lips, remembering this scene when I saw them all on the first day of school. Then I thought I saw Daehyun start to look my way, so I hurried into the history building to prevent from being seen. I didn't even know why I was trying to hide. 
 
I walked slowly to class and ended up meeting Sunhee at the door. 
"You must walk really slow." She said. I stuck my tongue out at her. 
"I got held up." Sunhee rolled her eyes and we walked into class together. 
 
When the bell rang for class to start, surprisingly, everyone was in on time. Everyone-including Yongguk and his gang. I noticed Daehyun was absent. He probably got called up or something and couldn't show up to class...
 
The time for music composition class rolled around and I showed up one of the first people there, as usual. Daehyun still didn't show up to class and I felt worried. Not worried about his attendance, but if he wasn't showing up to avoid me. I sighed heavily. If that was the case, then I completely understood, plus I deserved it. My teacher called out his name for attendance, to which he got no reply. I sighed even deeper at the sight of the empty seat next to me. 
I never realized how tedious the class could be; and I knew I only thought that because Daehyun wasn't here to talk to. 
 
The bell finally rang and I hurriedly gathered my belongings to race out of the classroom. I head to my dorm room to grab some money to buy some food. 
 
On my way I found Youngjae lingering around the building. I smiled at the sight and jogged over to him. When I reached, I called to him. 
"Youngjae!" He turned around and gave me a shy wave. I stood in front of him trying to catch my breath and smiled. 
"What are you doing here?" I asked eagerly. Youngjae took in a breath and just looked at me. 
"Were you going up to your room?" He asked. 
"Um, yeah. To get some money to grab a snack." I told him. 
"Great. Let's go together." He proposed. I blinked at his sudden arrangement.
"Uh, yeah, sure. I'll be right back." I said. Youngjae nodded and motioned for me to go up. 
 
I went up and grabbed my wallet from my dresser then head back downstairs. Youngjae was swaying around waiting for me at the door. 
"Okay, I'm ready."
"Let's go." He said to me with a smile. 
 
We made sure not to stray too far into the city, making sure to eat somewhere within the area. It was Monday so we just wanted a quick bite. We went to that cafe Daehyun stopped by together several times. I looked up at the sign that hung above the shop and bit my lip. Youngjae held the door open for me and I walked in ahead. We took a seat at a booth nearby the window waiting for a waiter to help us. 
 
"So Hyunji," 
"So Youngjae," a waiter came by to greet us then placed a couple of menus in front of us. Before we continued our conversation we ordered then waited for our food to come, letting silence consume us for a bit. 
 
Once the food came, we quietly ate before resuming our conversation. Youngjae chuckled, "You like cheesecake?" I looked up from my dessert and laughed a bit myself. 
"Yeah. This place has really good cheesecake." I poked at the food then stuck a piece in my mouth. 
"I'm sure Daehyun is really jealous of you right now." He commented. I looked up at the sound of Daehyun's name. Youngjae looked at me with an intrigued expression, as if he caught me in a guilty act. I blushed light pink at my subtle confession then picked at my food again. 
Youngjae laughed at my embarrassment but didn't tease me further. 
 
"So...where was Daehyun..today?" 
"Hm?" I started feeling uncomfortable talking about Daehyun because I knew Youngjae was teasing me. But I couldn't get around the topic as I was extremely worried about it. There I go again, worrying about things. 
"He wasn't in any classes today. So..I was wondering if he was okay.."
"You care about Daehyun?" Youngjae blurted out. I looked up to face Youngjae who waited anxiously for my answer. 
"Uh, it's..not that I care..it's just.."
"Oh so you don't care about him?" I then gave Youngjae a weird look. He kept sticking words into my mouth. 
"Wh-what? I didn't say that,"
"Yeah you did. You just said that-"
"I didn't mean it like that,"
"Then what did you mean?" Youngjae have me a hard look, pressuring me to break. 
"I..." I hesitated. Youngjae then scoffed, looking away for a moment. 
"Why are you so stubborn Hyunji?" He asked. 
"I'm not stubborn." I said in a defensive tone. I was starting to get irritated at Youngjae's games. He raised his eyebrows at me. "All I asked was where Daehyun was today. Why are you messing with me?" 
"Why did you mess with Daehyun?" He shot back. Ouch. That one really hurt me . Now it made sense. I couldn't respond. 
"He wasn't supposed to find out."
"And that makes it okay?" I looked away again. Youngjae sighed from across the table and took my hand. 
 
"Look Hyunji, I'm messing with you on Daehyun's part. Not because he told me to do this, because he didn't." I looked at my hand that was enveloped in Youngjae's and met his eyes. "I just want to know why you did that. Daehyun 's my best friend and he didn't come to class because he didn't know how to face you," I looked at Youngjae with confused eyes. 
"How to face me? It should be the other way around.." Youngjae shrugged. 
"That's what he told me. Hyunji, Daehyun really likes you. He's not angry or anything. He's confused as to why you did that to him." I nodded at the expected reaction. But I was surprised Daehyun wasn't angry with me. Anyone would be. 
 
"The least you could give him is an apology." I sighed at his statement. I thought about how to apologize to Daehyun almost a million times. But I couldn't find the courage to do it. 
"I can't." I said.
"Why not?"
"Because he won't forgive me okay! What I did was..I don't even know how I came up with such a stupid plan and I thought it would solve anything." I nearly blew up inside the cafe. I kept quiet and remembered I was in a public place. 
"Solve what?" Youngjae asked in a soft tone. I remained silent, embarrassed by my little rant. "Your feelings for Daehyun?" He continued. I looked at Younjae again then gave a small nod. 
"I wasn't sure if I had feelings for him or not, which is why I did that." I admitted with a deep sigh. Youngjae stifled a giggle at the other end of the table. 
"You really are weird Lee Hyunji." He said. I rolled my eyes, smiling a little at his honesty. 
"So I've been told." 
 
We sat in the cafe for about an hour. I felt like we'd been sitting for ages. The intense feeling from the past conversation finally left us, allowing for a more comfortable atmosphere to sink in between Youngjae and I. We stood up together after finishing and paid the bill;  we walked out of the quaint cafe and stood outside to breathe in the cool early evening breeze. 
 
"You should see Daehyun soon." Youngjae said sticking his hands in his pockets. I sighed and puffed up my cheek. 
"I should." I replied. 
"Why not now?" He looked at me poking  my inflated cheek. 
"You didn't tell me where he is, pabo." I said poking Youngjae's stomach. He flinched a bit then chuckled. 
"Oh yeah huh?" He tilted his head like a puppy. I rolled my eyes and nodded. 
"I don't know where he is either." He admitted. I gave him an "are-you-serious?" kind of look and shoved his shoulder. He raised his hands up in surrender. 
"Sorry! That guy really is a mystery to everyone." Understatement right there. "But, I do know all the places he could be." Youngjae started up. I raised an eyebrow at him, listening. "When Daehyun's not in the dorm, he's in class. When he isn't in class, he's either in the dorm, wandering around school, or at the bar practicing," I held my hand up with four fingers shown in counting. "Oh!" Youngjae shouted remembering something. "He could be at the school auditorium practicing with Yongguk and us. We go almost everyday bit not until later." I didn't bother asking why since I was preoccupied in figuring out where Daehyun could be at this second. 
 
"Okay, classes are over. So that's out. He may be at the dorm, the bar, or the auditorium?" I counted. Youngjae whipped out his phone to call his room number. There was no answer, ruling that location out. "The bar and the auditorium then." Youngjae nodded then pointed toward the direction of the bar to his right. I nodded and followed with Youngjae. 
 
"Hyunji-ah?" He called me ahead. 
"Hm?"
"I ship you and Daehyun." He teased. I fumed and ran up to him, slapping his back. 
"Shut up!" 

Just wanna say, I love you all: my precious readers and subscribers. I'm loving Yoo Youngjae more too haha. Not as much as Daehyun though :P