Home

Something to Keep

 

I emptied out the drawers of my cabinet and pulled my luggage to my bed. I threw all my clothes on my bed, leaving a gigantic mountain. Sunhee jumped and rolled her body all over the pile. 
 
"Um, excuse me?" I said in a sassy tone. She giggled. 
"Hehe this is fun." She mused as she continued to roll around wrinkling my clothes. 
"Yah, I need to pack those." I told her. Sunhee sighed and picked herself off up my bed. 
"We only get five days off. So lame..." She started to whine. I crashed on the bed next her and sighed. 
"Too short right?" I said. The two of us sighed together. We faced each other and laughed in unison. 
 
 
The two of us walked out of the building and out the gates of the university together. Both of us with our single luggage being pulled behind us. We faced each other. 
"Haha. We're making it all dramatic." I laughed. Sunhee laughed a little and said, "Haha oh well. Have a good break Hyunji. Let's hang out soon before the break ends arasso?" She tapped my shoulder. I nodded. 
"Sure thing." We hugged before separating ways.
 
 
 
 
I walked down to a bus stop rather than waiting for the taxi. I took my phone out of my pocket and called my house. My dad works early so he's gone but my mom doesn't leave until 8:30 a.m and it was 7 a.m right now. It rang three times then she picked up. 
 
"Hello?"
"Annyeong omma," I greeted her. 
"Omo, Hyunji-ah!" I chuckled at her response. 
"Nae. Did you forget I was coming home?" I asked her. 
"Aniyo! I just didn't know what time. Are you coming right now?" She asked. 
"Mhm. I'm waiting for the bus." I told her. 
"Ah corre. Hurry before I leave for work then. I'll have breakfast ready. Okay, I'll hang up first." With that she did hang up. I stared at my phone screen as it beeped at the ended call. 
"Haha okay then mom," I laughed to myself. 
 
The bus arrived and I stepped in smiling at the driver. He gave me an annoyed look. Clearly he was tired and did not want to work today. I put my money in the bin quickly and took a seat before he would get even more frustrated. I took a seat next to the window, put in my earphones, and enjoyed the ride to my home. 
 
 
The bus stopped and I hopped off thanking the driver. I head to my familiar neighborhood and smiled to myself. I've missed you home. My feet crumbled the pebbles along the path to my house creating a loud crunch. I remembered that Minhyuk and I used to arrange the pebbles to create designs on our walkway when we were younger. I sighed at the memory. Later I heard a sound from the house next to mine. 
 
"Oh, Hyunji-ah!" An old women called me. I bowed respectfully at the sight of her. Mrs. Choi has been my neighbor for over twenty years and is like a grandmother to me. 
"Annyeonghaesaeyo Mrs. Choi," I smiled at her and waved, "Have you been well?" I asked. She smiled happily at me. 
"Ah nae. You grew up beautifully. You're parents missed up dearly. Go hurry inside." She said to me. I smiled and bowed one more time before going into my house. 
 
"I'm home!" I called throughout the house as I stepped in. The house smelled like meat and freshly cooked rice. When I inhaled the scent, my stomach started grumble. "I'm eating this food omma!" I yelled again and walked over to the kitchen. 
"Yah Lee Hyunji!" I heard someone call. I turned around and saw my mom putting in earrings as she came from her room around the corner. "Did I not teach you manners?" I bit my lip nervously and moved away from the table. 
"Mian." I said quietly. 
"Aigo, you and Minhyuk are always in a rush to eat. Go and eat already." My mom waved me off. I laughed and went over to kiss her cheek. 
"Gamsamnida! I'll eat well. Like always." I skipped to the table and took my first scoop of homemade food. My eyes rolled back in delight at the taste. 
"Omma, you're cooking is still the best." I mused. She laughed. 
"But of course." My mom said and kissed the top of my head. "I'll be going now. See you and dad later okay?" I nodded and waved goodbye to her as she walked out the door. 
 
 
 
 
After breakfast I unpacked and out all my luggage into my original room. It was filled with my kpop posters and things I didn't take to university. My room looked untouched except for my closet, which was filled with some of my dad's barely-worn suits and jackets. 
 
I walked out of my room for a moment and found my way into Minhyuk's. I've only been in that room about once or twice when he wanted me to move thins around for him. Minhyuk never thought of me as a weak girl and almost treated me like a brother, not that I really cared at the time. I sighed. Even today, I'm still like a kid to him. I thought as I remembered how he talked to me on his birthday. 
 
I jumped in his bed and enjoyed myself for bit, blasting his radio. I laughed to myself and collapsed in the bed with a pleased sigh. My mood was lightened as I looked around the room more seeing pictures of different things. My eyes landed in the one on top of his dresser: of the whole family at his high school graduation. 
 
It's good to be home. I can't wait until my birthday..
 
I then rolled over on Minhyuk's fluffy bed and took a nice nap.