Birthday Surprise

Something to Keep

 

I awoke from a pretty restless sleep. My stomach was filled with butterflies half the night before my birthday and I couldn't fall asleep. So I was running on about five hours of sleep that day. I scooted off my bed and put on my slippers making my way downstairs to the living room. I found both of my parents in front of a computer screen. That fact made me crinkle my nose. Why are people in that day and age up so early in the morning staring at a computer screen? I didn't want them straining their eyes more than they already had. I came out of the hallway and made sure to make sounds as I walked. They both turned around at my footsteps. 
 
"Happy birthday Hyunji!!" They said in unison. I pretended to be tired and rubbed my eyes, hiding my smile with my hand. 
"Aww..my baby is finally twenty years old." My mom came over to embrace me. I couldn't hold back my giggle and hugged her back. 
"Well, she isn't a baby anymore is she?" My dad said from behind my mother. I looked over my mom's shoulder (I was a whole five inches taller than her) and let go. I walked to my dad and sat in his lap like a child. 
"Aigo," he complained, "this baby is heavy." I laughed then hopped off taking a seat on the couch. 
 
"Do you want to eat out for breakfast or dinner today?" My mom asked me as she the T.V. I shrugged. Either way was fine with me. A free meal is a free meal right?
"Why not both?" My dad suggested. 
"Yay!" I said excitedly. My mom turned to my dad with a shocked expression. 
"Don't worry. I won't be expensive." I read her thoughts, "I want to eat dinner with oppa though." I made sure to add. My parents both looked at me approvingly with a nod. This was a gift for all of us. 
"That's an excellent idea. Get ready for breakfast and we can surprise Minhyuk at the hospital later for dinner." My father instructed me. I smiled and nodded skipping my way to my bedroom to prepare for a shower. 
 
 
When stepped out of the shower, I hurried to my room to get ready. I looked at my phone for the time and a text message was waiting to be opened. 
 
Happy birthday Hyunji! My one and only girl~ keke You better visit me today you lazy girl. It's been an eternity! >.<
 
I shook my head at my brother's text. I haven't visited Minhyuk in about a month because of final projects and preparing for tests but he was being a bit of a drama queen when he said "eternity," I didn't bother replying since my family and I were planning to surprise him at dinner. 
 
I came out of my room and met with my parents in the kitchen as I aimed to get a quick swig of orange juice before leaving. 
"Hurry, I'm going to start the car." My father said as he stepped out the door. My mom linked arms with mine and walked with me out of the house.
 
 
My parents took me to an American style breakfast house instead of a traditional Korean one. 
"Hehe no kimchi here?" I joked. My mom laughed and walked me in the restaurant as my dad opened the door for us. 
 
"Table for three?" The waiter asked us. My dad nodded without looking at the young man because he was distracted by the establishment's decor. Old black and white photos were displayed on the walls as a sort of timeline of the restaurant's birth. The waiter escorted us to a table and  handed all three of us menus. 
"Today is our 30th anniversary so we have our specials in that middle flap for you." He told us. "I'll give you all a few minutes and I'll come back with drinks." The male smiled and left. 
 
My mom suddenly slammed her menu on the table earning a small glare from my dad. 
"Hyunji, our waiter is cute isn't he?" She asked me. I eyed her weirdly. However curiosity got the better of me and I peeked out behind the wall. The guy was putting an order on the spinning wheel thing that held the orders and pulled a plate out to serve to another table. His side profile was definitely handsome and his hair had a streak of orange on the fridge which was spike up. I turned my attention back to my parents. My mom was holding back a giggle and my dad just shook his head. 
"Uhm, yeah he's pretty good looking but I can't see his face." I held back not that it even mattered at that point since my mom was proud that I had agreed with her. The boy came back and pulled out his pen and pad of paper. 
 
"Are you all ready to order?" He asked enthusiastically. The table was silent for a spilt second until my mom spoke up, "Order first, Hyunji," she told me. I'm pretty sure she did that just to get my name in. I let out a small sigh and ordered.
"I'll have the strawberry and Nutella crepes please."
"Sweet," he replied and reached for my menu with a smile. It was adorable, the smile. My mom let out a small cough as she tried to hold back from laughing right then and there. The waiter didn't catch the hint and took my parents' orders. 
"Okay then. I'll have those all out for you soon. And my name is Lee Chanhee so call over if you need anything else." He nodded looking at all of us. 
"Oh, our last name is Lee, too." My mom felt the need to point out. My father and I both mentally face-palmed ourselves at her comment. The young man named Chanhee chuckled catching mine and my father's reaction. 
"Haha cool. I'll be back soon then everyone." He said then walked away. After he left my dad and I both gave my mom a hard glare. 
"What?" She tried to play innocent. 
"Forget it omma." I sighed deeply. 
 
 
After we had all finished breakfast my mom signaled for Chanhee to bring the bill. I patted my stomach satisfied. 
"That was delicious." I sang. My father nodded from across the table and took his napkin to wipe his face. 
"I'll go wait at the car." He said before getting up to leave. My mom and I both waited at the table for the bill. Then my mom got up an started walking over to the counter. I followed behind her.
 
My mom payed at the counter and Chanhee handed her the receipt. Before I could follow behind my mom Chanhee stopped me. 
"Wait Hyunji," I turned around and my mom stopped. "When you come back be sure to mention me. It was fun being your family's waiter." He gave me a piece of paper and a stunning smile. 
"Okay. I will." I said smiling back and taking the paper him. I walked out and met with my mom at the car door. 
"What is that?" She asked me. 
"A piece of paper." I said bluntly. She mused and decided not push the subject further. 
 
--
When it came to the planned dinner time, I decided to dress a bit more formally. I wore a knee high beige dress with flower patterned lace. I put on my sandals with a flower at the top. I was starving at that point so I quickly applied light makeup with some perfume and met with my parents to leave.
 
We bought some quick Chinese take out then drove to the hospital. All three of us walked up to the front desk for visitor passes. 
 
We arrived on his floor and crept inside the room slowly. 
"Hm?" I heard Minhyuk mumble. He sounded like he just woke up from a nap, making him sound so innocent and adorable. I tried not to laugh. 
 
"saeng il chuk ha ham ni da
saeng il chuk ha ham ni da~"
 
My parents and I started to sing. Minhyuk looked at us groggily trying to comprehend the situation. 
"Wha..what's going on?" He muttered. I walked up with a cake in my hands that had the candles "20" on it ready and lit. Minhyuk's eyes sparkled as the light shone on him. Instinctively he blew them out. 
 
"Yah! Oppa!" I whined when he blew out my cake.
"What? Isn't that what I'm supposed to do? And why does it say '20' on it?" He started asking all the wrong questions. I looked at him skeptically, waiting for him to grasp the situation and the whole reason for this gathering. Minhyuk's eyebrows rose as he came to a realization. 
 
"Ah happy birthday Hyunji!" He finally said. I "tsked" and wished I could cross my arms, but my hands were full with the cake. Instead I pouted at him clearly disappointed. 
"Now look what you did pabo," my mom scolded, "you can't even remember your sister's birthday. She planned this whole surprise." My mother went over to Minhyuk and flicked him in the head. Minhyuk bit his lip then his eyes averted back to mine. 
 
"I didn't forget. It's just...I forgot in that moment. Hehe." I put down the cake on an empty chair and took the take out food from my dad. 
"We even bought this for you," I said placing the food on Minhyuk's lap. He stared at it for a second then moved it aside. He brought his arms out for me to get into like usual. I followed the routine and came to his embrace. "Have you always been this forgetful oppa?" I asked him. He laughed. 
"I think I'm just going crazy." He joked. 
"Yeah, I think so, too." I played along. Minhyuk released me and I opened the food for everyone. "I'm starving. Let's eat." 
 
 
"So was your day good?" Minhyuk asked. I nodded happily giving him an eye smile since my mouth was full.
"Hyunji scored this morning." My mom teased. I had forgotten she was talking about breakfast and that boy, Chanhee. 
"What do you mean?" Minhyuk asked curiously. 
"She got a cute boy's number when we went out to eat brandade this morning." Minhyuk looked at me disapprovingly, wanting an explanation. 
"He gave it to me. There's a difference." I said nonchalantly wanting to do without a speech. Now that I thought about it, both Jonghyun and Chanhee were good looking young guys working in some sort of eatery. How weird. 
"Mhm..I'm watching you Hyunji." Minhyuk pointed his chopsticks at me with narrow eyes. 
 
"Yeah, yeah oppa. You're such a stalker." 
"A handsome stalker yes?" 
"Just shut up." I ended by sticking a dumpling inside Minhyuk's mouth. He smiled awkwardly as the food stuck in his mouth. I shook my head and laughed continuing on with my meal.

heeeyy everyone~ This was a really long chapter. I hope you all appreciate it because I wrote one ahead of my usual schedule. :P

Just kidding! I don't demand for all of you to like the chapter but I really hope you did :) I love you all my lovely readers and subscribers~

please comment and talk to meeee..