Forgiven?

Something to Keep

 

"Hyunji?" Daehyun looked at me with wide eyes, his bangs were drenched from his sweat and scattered all over his forehead. I blinked once in shock at his presence. I thought he was Youngjae coming to check on me for standing out here so long. Feelings of embarrassment and nervousness started building up inside me. Thankfully I didn't turn red, or at least, I didn't feel my face heating up.
 
"What are you doing here?" He asked wiping his hair with his towel. I coughed for no reason before speaking. 
"Uhm, I came with Youngjae," I said. Daehyun titled his head, squinting one of his eyes. "Oh really? Why?" He asked nonchalantly. Why is he so...carefree?
 
"I wanted to talk to you actually," I started. Daehyun slung the towel over his shoulder and pointed to himself. 
"Me? What for?" He asked sounding a bit shocked. I gulped. It really seemed like he had forgotten everything, but I wasn't going to use that as an excuse to back out. 
"I wanted...to apologize to you. For what I did." Daehyun looked at me seriously for moment, as if he were examining me. I started feeling a little uncomfortable and laughed to break the awkward atmosphere. 
 
"Ehem, yeah. It was really stupid and I shouldn't have gone with it in the first place. I'm sorry for being so immature." I added. I didn't face him this time though; his intense gaze was petrifying me. Daehyun's shoulders went down slowly as he let out a sigh. I turned my attention back to him and he smiled with sincerity. 
"Oh. Haha. It's okay." I looked at him with complete bewilderment. It's okay? I remained silent, still stunned by his answer. I imagined him to take this chance to really lecture me, let all his feelings out, because I was emotionally prepared for it. Daehyun apparently noticed my confusion and the long, awkward silence that consumed us both. 
"So," he coughed awkwardly, "is that all?" He asked. I nodded and scratched my head nervously. 
"Y-yeah. That's all," I slightly stuttered. Daehyun nodded then proceeded to go back inside the room next to us. 
 
"Oh wait." I called after him. He turned around to look at me with his hand resting on the door lever. "Have you eaten yet?" I asked with a little confidence. Daehyun stared at me for a moment then switched to the clock on the wall behind me, quickly breaking our gaze. "No I haven't. But I'll be fine. I have to stay here pretty late anyways." He told me. 
 
"Oh, I'll wait for you guys, it'll be on me-"
"It's fine Hyunji. Just go back." He interjected. I paused then nodded understanding. I figured he would reject my offer, but I felt I needed to try and patch the things between us. I guess now was too soon. 
"Okay then. Uh...tell Youngjae I'm leaving then." I said gripping the strap of my purse that crossed over my shoulders. Daehyun nodded and pulled down on the lever.
"Sure."
"Daehyun?" I stopped him again before leaving. He remained still, looking at me expressionless. "We're good now right?" Daehyun laughed a bit and smiled at me and my silly question. 
"Yes Hyunji. Now go. It's getting dark." I looked outside the window and saw the sky had already turned from the beautiful sherbet color to a cool evening blue. My mouth turned to an "o" shape to my surprise. 
 
"What? Scared now? Need someone to walk you?" He laughed. My heart skipped a beat at the sound of his laugh. A sweet sound that always lifted the atmosphere. A glint of hope shone in my eyes, thinking he would offer to take me. But then Daehyun laughed again. This time it was more sarcastic. "Just kidding." He smirked. 
"Tch. Whatever. Later Daehyun. I hope you ache in the morning." I sneered. He narrowed his eyes at me, soon turning into slits. He didn't say anything else but scoffed in the distance as I went away. 
 
 
 
 
 
I whistled a tune as I walked out of the bathroom feeling refreshed after a warm shower and brushing my teeth. Sunhee was lying on her back, hair hanging off the edge of the bed, with her arms extended into the air holding her cell phone. I walked by her, swinging her before hanging my towel on the rack. 
 
"Who are you texting?" I asked. "Youngjae-ah~?" I mused. Sunhee didn't waver a continued fiddling with her phone. 
"Hey!" I yelled throwing a pillow at her. "It's no fun to tease if you don't react." I pouted. 
"Where did you go today?" She asked completely ignoring my question. 
"I just went out to eat." I answered. Not that it mattered since Sunhee's attention was on her phone again. She had changed her position from lying on her back to lying on her stomach.
 
"Oh hey Youngjae-ah," I brought my own cell phone to my ear. Sunhee shot up at Youngjae's name. I noticed her actions and smiled to myself. "Oh yeah, Sunhee's here. But she's texting her boyfriend right now so she can't talk." 
 
"Ani! Hyunji-ah! Let me talk to Youngjae!" Sunhee begged coming from behind me and reaching for the phone. 
"Oh? I guess she's done flirting. Here, you can talk to her." I handed my phone over to Sunhee who desperately starting talking into the phone. She looked at the screen and noticed it wasn't on call to begin with. I laughed at her for falling for my joke, to which I received numerous slaps on the back and a few nasty words. 
 
"Ouch. Let's just calm down Sunhee." She whined like a child, plopping herself back onto the bed. 
"Hmmmmm....why won't Youngjae ask me out already?" She groaned into her bed sheets. I giggled at her predicament. I knew all about Youngjae and his feelings for Sunhee and even let him know I did during our talks when we went out today. Now I'm just waiting for him to ask her out too, whenever that time may be. I rubbed Sunhee's back soothingly keeping the secret to myself. 
 
That night I ended the day with an entry in my journal. 

Sorry for the short chapter but nothing could be done about it :P I didn't feel like including what she put in the journal since its not really important. 

Thank you new and old subscribers! Even if you aren't subscribed but are still reading, thanks a bunch :) I'll see you all tomorrow ^^