Chapter XXVI

I Love My Assassin

Kai and I had a comfortable conversation. I got to clear things out with him, simply for a peaceful training ahead. I also got some good advices from him and for me to keep. He also ensured that I will learn a lot from him including archery while horse riding, that I found exciting.

The next day was the day of serious training. I was determined to learn anything from Kai but I'm expecting that it won't be easy on my part. Yes, I'm right. First day of serious training and I wanted to quit.

Kai was very strict from the positions of feet and hands, level of shoulder, posture and right angle of handling the bow and arrow. He woud slap the parts of my body that were positioned and leveled inaccurately.

First, stance... step back 45 degrees with your right foot” he commanded.

Okay...” I said almost a whisper, moving my right foot to where I assumed was 45 degrees.

45 degrees Seolrae!” I jolted when he raised his voice.

So, it's not 45 degrees? Then what degree is this? I can't believe him. How can he transform from someone so approachable yesterday to a monster archery teacher right now.

Seolrae, that's almost 90 degrees...” he added a bit impatient.

Alright master... please go easy on me, I'm just learning this today... Geez” I said and adjusted my foot.

He sighed because of relief after scrutinizing my stance. At last after 15 minutes, I got the stance right.

Next, was nocking the arrow to the string. Kai said that doing it was solely base on my preference, but I should ensure that the odd-colored fletching should point away from the bow. So, I did it as graceful as possible still kept in my mind the correct stance. I smiled as I saw his eyes gleaned, at last he was pleased.

Kai then demonstrated how to grip the string. Of course, he did the stance and the nocking process first that I found fascinating and artful. Anyway, the way he gripped the string and explained how it was done, it seemed and sounded complicated. So, I just copied him yet I still heard him released some air from his mouth.

Copying is not enough because it might cause difficulty when you do it in a fast manner... because some things that may be easy for others are difficult for you and remember that everything you learn from this training should be stored not only in your mind but also in your heart as well...” he said fixing my fingers for the grip.

Are you comfortable with that?” he asked.

Yes, it was easy than the way I did it, so I nodded at him. I took back what I said earlier, Kai was just slightly strict or he's just strict for the better. The whole day of training was all about stance until pulling the strings, Kai still did not allow me to release arrows because it will be helpful if I practice and be accustomed to my form. For a week, the training was still like that Kai won't let me release arrows though he taught me how I will position myself from different angles and perspective of the target.

Right now were having some tea with Tao. But instead of relaxing, I'm getting anxious because Kai will state his assessment for the week. I felt a gentle bump on my shoulder and I glared at Tao whose eyes were smiling.

Tea is made to be drunk not to be stared at... if you're worrying about Kai commenting harshly you shouldn't...” Tao said while grinning that made me annoyed so, I pinched his arm.

He hissed and gave me a death glare but I just stuck my tongue out at him. We both stared at Kai when he cleared his throat pretentiously. Then, my mind went somewhere again, thinking if I'm a good student or not. I bit my lip in anticipation of few harsh comments.

Your lips will bleed if you continue to that...” Kai laughed a little.

Oh Kai... just give your damn assessment or this lady here will torture her self because of anxiousness...” Tao sniggered.

Alright... she was good for someone who's new to archery...” Kai said and drunk some tea from his cup.

That's all?” he nodded at me.

What was that? I'm getting nervous out of nothing.

As I've said, if it's Kai, you should not worry about anything... like he said you're doing good” Tao smiled and patted my back like child.

I pouted my lips because of disappointment. How can I improve with that undetailed assessment? I'm not expecting a comment like that from my master. Well, maybe I was just thinking too much about negative comments that I thought he will said that I forgot that he can give me something that is positive.

I cleared my thought and drunk my tea. Seriously? Since when did I started to become a person who thinks about negative outcomes rather than positive ones, clearly it was not what father taught me. My thoughts was disturbed when Kai lightly slammed the table.

Oh yes, I remember, Tao... I think from tomorrow onwards, I advice that Princess Seolrae will be staying here in my house... of course for the convenience of both of you...” Kai suddenly declared with as smile plastered on his face.

W-what? Did you just say that Seolrae will stay in this house with you?” Tao blurted.

Yes, you heard it correctly...” Kai replied confidently.

Well... Kai that's not going to happen... I can't just entrust her to you...” Tao hastily disapproved on the idea.

Tao... it's not yours to decide anyway” Kai averted his gaze on me while I'm still processing what he just said.

Me? Are you asking me to stay here?” I asked again and he just nodded his head.

The truth is I don't know if I will accept his offer for the convenience of both me and Tao but there's a huge portion of mind that says, there's nothing wrong with his offer anyway. Also, it seemed that I had established trust on him somehow after our small conversation about Yu Ren.

I heaved a sigh and gave Tao a meaningful gaze and with the facial expression he displayed I assumed that he doesn't agree with my decision. So, I gently held his hand and smiled at him. I saw a worried expression on his face but he nodded eventually for his approval or more likely surrender.

What now? I think I defeated you...” Kai snickered on Tao and the later rolled his eyes on him.

Master, let me stay here...” I said and Kai just smiled.

________________

It's been a while since I updated this story.

I'm very sorry and thank you very much ^^