Chapter XXI

I Love My Assassin

 

The ride back to the Huang's place was silent as I assumed where he's bringing me. Tao displayed a mask of disapproval on his face because of my sudden decision to make Kai my master on archery. I clutched on Tao's hand which were drumming on his thigh because of uneasiness.

“Are you okay? I think you're in deep thought of something...” I asked stating the obvious.

“I'm fine, don't worry about me...Just worry about your lessons with Jong In” he sighed with a hint of resentment and pouted.

I sniggered on his childishness. I heard a soft whimper escape from his lips which made me laugh even more.

“You really enjoy laughing at me, aren't you?” he growled slightly.

“Of course not, I just love pissing you off sometimes...” I teased extending my arms to slap his cheek mildly.

He smiled and I felt that the tenseness surrounding us earlier were degrading now that he displayed his smile on those thin lips. I smiled at him but he gestured his head and stared on the window instead. I hissed on his sudden change of mood and went back on my mind wandering.

The ride cradled me and swayed that I felt after a few minutes of my mind wandering, my eyelids started closing and my body surrendered to tiredness. I just let my body rest and went to dreamland, there were so many things happened and many new thoughts bothering me today.

A gentle shake on my shoulder caused my eyes to flutter open. We have arrived on a place new to me. It was three-story building overlooking the sea which was reflecting the orange and purple color of the sky. The sun was at its peak when we left Zhangzhou but now it was setting, I just thought where on earth did Tao bring me. Are we still in China? Tao must have sense that I was a bit confused so he explained where we are.

“Mother just sent me a message to meet her and have dinner here at Hong Kong that's why we're here...I just don't know why mother wanted to have dinner here” he stated and helped me got out from the car, but I raised my hand signaling him to wait for a few minutes.

I opened my backpack and scanned for things that I thought I'll be needing and put it inside my blood red shoulder bag. Being so hygienic, I include my sanitizing gel, perfume, powder, a hankie and breath spray. 

“Thank you...” I replied when I got out of the car clutching my bag and slang it on my shoulder.

            I straightened my dress that was crinkled from hours of sitting and sleeping. I followed Tao as he walked hastily to enter the building. A man on his uniform opened the door for us and we entered. My mouth parted in awe as I saw the place, a verdant carpet was laid on the floor and crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. The smell of seafood dishes were also inviting and the soft music from the piano was so amazing.

“You love it...” I gave him a nod as I listened to every note being played.

“I think you'll love it more when you see who's playing...” he showed an assuring smile that made me curious about it.

I glanced at the piano and saw a man on fine black coat, his hair was neatly fixed and I noticed his pointed nose when his head turned to reached the high note keys. I also saw long candle-like fingers pressing the keys gently. A hint of who was playing made me excited about what I'm going to witness here.

Tao gestured me to follow him inside a room in the reserved area. The music is still lingering in my ears making me glance on a window-like opening that have the view of the center and the stage where the piano and harp were located. My eyes widened when I saw the figure of Lay playing the piano. My heart skipped a beat because of anticipation. Could he be here too? My palm started sweating I just couldn't help to see who's with Lay here in China.

Tao noticed my expression when he saw me staring at Lay. She let out a small laugh at my reaction. I slapped him to eased the tension and excitement I'm feeling right now. I shoot him a glare silently sending him a message to tell what's going on. But he curled his lips to a grin and continued walking.

            Then we finally reached the table where Auntie Yifei sat comfortably with two men on coats. I saw a smile formed on Auntie Yifei's lips and the two turned and glanced at me with smiles as bright as the rising sun in the morning. Xiumin and Chen stood up and ran towards me and hugged me tightly. But why am I feeling disappointed suddenly when I saw these two? And where is Luhan? I think they sensed my disappointment and they both grinned at me.

“We know who you wanted to see little Ren?” Chen sniggered slightly messing my hair.

“Look... there he is...” Xiumin clicked his tongue and stared at my back where Tao was standing.

I felt Tao moved beside me and I stared at him a smile creeping to form on his lips again when he pointed on someone. My eyes followed the direction where he's pointing and there he stood as handsome as ever with sparkling doe eyes, Luhan.

“Lulu...” I muttered, my eyes started to be watery.

I didn't notice that I missed him this much that I cried a little just seeing him standing in front of me. I heard a laughter escaped from Chen's lips that made me gave him a glare.

“Okay... I'm sorry... I just can't help laughing at the crying 'samurai girl'” he stressed which made me raise an eyebrow to him and he raised both of his hand surrendering.

Xiumin shoved me a little. I was shocked on what he did making me outbalanced on the process. Then, when my was about to slam on the carpeted floor, I felt sturdy hands caught my shoulders steadying me. His familiar warm and earthy scent lingered my nostrils making my legs jelly-like. I can't stand straight that my whole body was depending on him.

Chen and Xiumin high-fived seeing us both on that position. I scowled at them and they both stick out their tongues to me, enjoying my misery, cause I'm feeling weak when I'm near Luhan specifically in contact with him.

“Oh what's happening?” a small voice from Lay interrupted and that was the time when I noticed that the piano was not playing already.

Does Luhan really gave me that kind of feeling, that I can't even notice the changes on my surroundings? I felt Luhan released and helped me stood straight. I felt suddenly embarrassed so I pulled Tao to Auntie Yifei to greet her formally pushing Chen and Xiumin.

The food was great, really delicious that flavors melt inside my mouth. But I'm a bit uncomfortable eating and savoring its taste as Luhan gazed at me with those beautiful sparkling eyes. I laid the fork down and felt the need to speak to ease the tension I'm feeling inside my stomach.

“Ahmm... why are you here?” I asked dryly with a hint of nervousness opening a topic that just went out of my mouth. Well, that's the only thing I thought that would be necessary to ask right now.

“So... you don't want to see us?” Xiumin replied teasingly.

“It was not like that... I'm just surprised... it is so sudden...” I declared lowly starting to pick another slice of roasted squid and placed it on my plate.

“Well we're here just to visit our hometowns and surprisingly auntie Yifei invited us for dinner with you both of course” Lay said smiling at me his dimples showing deep on his cheek.

“You see Luhan here just mentioned that he wanted to go back to Beijing on one of our conversations... so we decided to come here with our own purposes” Chen interfered stressing that Luhan wanted this trip to China.

Luhan nodded approving Chen's little explanation. But Beijing was a bit far from Hong Kong, did they travel far just to have this little dinner? That question popped in my head.

“But Beijing is far from Hong Kong, you came from there right? So why bother to come in Hong Kong just for a little seafood dinner?” I retorted.

“Well actually... that one should be directed to Luhan because he really came from Beijing, we're out of that because Lay, Xiumin and I just came from Guangzhou actually nearer than where you and Tao came from...” Chen witty explained earning a nod from Xiumin and Lay.

I bit my lip when I saw Luhan staring at me, I think he's thinking of an answer for my question. He opened his mouth and spoke when he came up with a good reason.

“Ahmm...I can't decline on Lady Yifei's request... I just want to grant her favor and what is attending to this little dinner with all things she had done for me...” Luhan answered displaying a smirk on his face.

“Oh my dear Luhan, why can't you just say that you miss Ren so much...you'll travel that far to see her...” I was taken aback of what Auntie Yifei just said while she was chuckling.

I was surprised that I felt my cheeks redden making me gulp some water from my glass. Luhan was rubbing the back of his neck not knowing what to reply on Auntie Yifei's surprising statement. I just gaze around to avert my attention and landed on Tao. He raised his head meeting my eyes and saw a teasing smile on his lips.

I excused myself and hurried to the comfort room because of embarrassment. They're all thinking the same thing even Tao who's been silent since the start of dinner. I saw Luhan's eyes followed my direction.