Chapter I

I Love My Assassin

 

Breathless and agitated, my father and I tried to run. The haze of the morning light blurred his sight but the old man dragged me with all his strength. We found a place to hide but I can still hear footsteps eager to find us. The haze was still thick and it gave cold sensation throughout my body. I felt numb seeing my father’s face in great fear.

“Father…” I tried to speak but it’s inaudible to hear. I tried again.

“Father…” but my voice did not come out.

My eyes widen in shock when an arrow struck the lower portion of his body. My father took a single breath and uttered one word.

“Run!” I hesitated to leave him, but as I heard footsteps coming, my feet moved and I run as fast as I can. The thick haze still gave me chills and tears started to cloud my vision. My feet felt the hardness of the ground as hot tears escaped from my eyes.

I continued running until I felt my legs trembling, but I can still overhear the footsteps of our chasers, until I reach a dead end, the end of the river. My lips were quivering at the height I’m going to hurdle, but the sight of my father in my mind, made my decision. I only have two options to be killed by them or to be killed by myself, once I lift my feet and landed on the water.

 It’s either dead or alive. As I heard them approaching, I lifted my chin and closed my eyes.

“There’s no turning back now” I just stated and jump off and it all turned black.


All I can remember was they were chasing after us. I saw fear from my father’s eyes, yes fear, as a child I did not know what to do. I called him but he didn’t respond. Last thing I saw was an arrow struck on his abdomen. I ran, completely not knowing where I should go and ended up to my biggest decision to live or not to live.

It was a complete darkness. I can feel my aching back and the coldness surrounding my body. I can hear tiny voices lurking my ear, they’re coming near me, are they our chasers? No they’re not, I can hear a soft motherly voice.

“Son, help me out here!” she screamed.

                 I heard rushing footsteps and I felt someone lifted me from the damp surface.

I felt warm and sheltered in the strangers arms. I can also feel his well-built muscles and smell his manly scent. I want to open my eyes, however, it still remained shut. In his arms, I was half sleeping. I heard a creak from a door and felt the smooth, soft and silky mattress as the stranger laid me on it and then I was on dreamland.

“Mother, are you sure we’re going to keep her?” I was awakened by low noises blabbering.

 “Yes Tao, for sure her father was killed by Prince Sungyeol’s men by now and knowing that Princess Seolrae is next to the throne after Queen Miyoung died, she might have been chased by his men also”.

“But Mother it’s too dangerous to keep a royalty like her” his voice were anxious.

I stood up, I can still feel my aching body. I opened the sliding door and saw two unfamiliar faces. They both stared at me, they stood and bowed, and I did also.

“Where am I? And who are you?” I gave them a confused look.

“Princess Seolrae, thank God you’re awake” a lady in her mid-50’s I guess spoke to me.

“Have I been sleeping for a couple of days?” I tried to find answers from their eyes.

The boy, I bet his son just nod, his stares where sharp and those blackish eyes gave me creeps that pierced through my soul.

“Would you mind having some tea with us while telling your story?” the lady uttered and tapped the lenient mat beside her.

I sat gracefully and took a glanced at the place. It’s a cozy house with fine calligraphic scriptures and elegantly carved wood ornaments, sliding doors with traditional shell coverings and few collections of finely molded swords.

“I’m sorry for not introducing ourselves earlier, I’m Huang YiFei and this is my son Huang Zi Tao, we’re from the first class, next to your family. Our family handles the palaces defenses. So what happened to you Princess Seolrae?” she said while pouring some tea in my cup.

“Please Lady YiFei don’t call me Princess Seolrae, Lady Rae is fine” I smiled to her and she also smiled back at me, Tao was still silent while drinking his tea.

 “They were chasing after us, Uncle Sunggyeol’s men. They killed father and I think they’re still finding me, by the way how did you know that I’m Queen Miyoung’s daughter? I haven’t seen by the public, only my mother, father and Hyori my helper knew how I look like?” I asked.

She picked up something from her pocket and showed me a jade amulet.

“Tao got this from you” she clarified.

My eyes widened, that’s the amulet mom gave me before she died.

“Queen Miyoung was my friend and she wears this amulet every time, this amulet was very rare and only engraved for the royal family, so we concluded that you’re Princess Seolrae her only daughter” Lady YiFei opened my palm and placed the amulet.

Tears started to distort my vision. My mom died 5 years after I was born. I was too young when she left me and dad. My dad had been my mother and father, she raised me well but unlike any normal child who plays and enjoys the world outside, I was force to stay at home. Yes, I have been living my life with a lot of royalty and riches but failed to have freedom. I’ve been living for 18 years and at this point I bid goodbye to my only family, my father.

I clinched my fist and cursed. I’ll make them pay, a life taken means a life to pay back, I felt warm hands patted my back.

“It’s alright, Princess…” Lady Yifei making me calm with her motherly and soft voice, when someone spoke behind the sliding door.

 “Lady Huang, messenger Jung is here”

“Send him in” Lady Yifei commanded.

Tao stood up and grabbed my arm, he dragged me back to my room. He was tall and I admit handsome but with those dark eyes accompanied by cold stares, my own breath can even choke me as I held it. I can overhear the conversation on the other side of the sliding door and as I hear every word coming from their mouths it seemed to engulf my heart, again tears clouded my eyes.

 Tao sat in front of me and just stared. He didn’t even bother to speak but his eyes were a bit dejected now.

“Don’t cry…” he said calmly and smiled at me. His cold and creepy aura faded with that curling smile. I stared at him and started to laugh. He’s so cute with that smile.  I roughly rubbed my tears away living wet trails on my cheeks.

I heard the sliding door opened then it immediately closed. Tao grabbed my hand again and brought me back to Lady Yifei. I felt that I’m getting use to his warmth and knowing that he had that side, Maybe I can find a way to get close to him. I thought and beamed as I gazed on our intertwined hands.

I saw uneasiness on Lady Yifei’s expression while handling a piece of finely folded paper. She gawked at us and handed the letter to me. We sat down and I carefully unsealed it. My hands were shaking while reading the writings on it. I harshly slammed the piece paper on the tea table while my lips were quivering as I breathe hastily as anger immersed on me.

“I want to go to my father’s burial, Lady Yifei” my voice was firmed.

“But, Princess Seolrae, Sunggyeol’s men were still searching for you since they only found your father’s remains” she replied with a hint of concern.

“They don’t know me, they just know my name, I can be anyone. I can kill Hwang Seolrae and take my revenge”.

“So what’s your plan?” Tao asked, I stared back at him with a sly smile.