Summer's Sorrows

Do You Remember Me?

M I Y O U N G 

Donghae was over at my house playing Modern Warfare 2. His face looked so cute when he stuck his tongue out in concentration. Yeah, I said that. He looked cute.

I laid back, sighing quietly. I don't think Donghae would ever like me like that.

If only...

Donghae waved a hand in front of my face, grinning. "I got the top score out of everyone here! Look!" He pointed towards the screen and his gamertag, Fishie0wnz, was at the top of the leaderboards. I laughed playfully while rolling my eyes. "You were trying hard."

"No I wasn't! I'm just good at this game!" 

"You're playing with people who are 30 levels below you. You just played with inexperienced people and beat them, of course." I said, laughing. Donghae grinned at me, his eyes twinkling. "But I still beat them!"

"... Just keep telling yourself that."

He pouted before turning back to the screen and playing. "Donghae, I'm hungry. Get me a snack, neh?" I said, laughing.

D O N G H A E 

I pouted. "Why do I have to get it? I'm the one playing a game here!" Miyoung chuckled. "You're at my house, so you do what I say." 

"I'll get you a snack for a kiss on the cheek." I said, not realizing what I had said until it actually came out.

What the heck was I thinking?

I froze and widened my eyes, covering my mouth. "Uh, I-" 

Miyoung blushed a bit and stammered quietly. "I-I'm only doing this 'cause I'm hungry-" 

She gave me a light peck on the cheek. It seemed to happen in slow motion because I felt her soft lips press against my cheek for what seemed like an eternity. I think I could die happy right now-

... Did I just think that?

I blushed and got up to get a snack for Miyoung.

Pocky and shrimp chips! Yummy~

I skipped happily back to the living room and I ripped open the bag of shrimp chips, munching on them while playing the game. Miyoung was quiet and still looking at the screen, I mumbled, "Something wrong?" 

"N-no, nothing's wrong." She said quietly, looking down at the floor. I looked at her while wiping my mouth with my sleeve. "Are you sure?"

"... Yeah. I'm sure. C'mon, pay attention to the game!" She said, giving me a grin. I grinned at her while going back to the game.

My phone suddenly vibrated in my pocket and I gave the controller to Miyoung. My mom was calling. "I've gotta take this." I said, getting up and walking into the kitchen, receiving an "OK" sign from Miyoung.

"Yoboseyo?" My mom began to talk in a shaky voice.

"...What? Are you sure?" I asked, my voice slightly cracking. 

"I'll be there as soon as I can." I said, my eyes tearing up. I quickly wiped my tears when Miyoung came in. 

I attempted to hide my face and Miyoung quickly walked up to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "What happened, Donghae?"

"M-my dad's in the hospital."

"Oh my God, how?" She asked, her face full of concern. "My mom said he was feeling pain so they went to get it checked out. H-he has a tumor." 

"D-does that mean...?" She asked quietly. 

"He has cancer."

"I've got to go to the Seoul Hospital right now." Miyoung looked at me with concern. "Do you want me to come?"

"No, it's okay... I don't want to bother you-" 

"Donghae, this is what friends are for."

I nodded slowly. "...You can come if you want."

"The hospital is a few minutes away from my house and my parents aren't home. Do you mind taking a bike?" I shook my head. "It's fine. Let's go."

I got onto her bike while she sat on the handlebars. I quickly pedaled to the hosptial and it took about 10 minutes. She chained her bike and we ran inside the hospital. 

"Excuse me, have you-" I was cut off by the nurse at the desk who gave me a quick nod. "Yes, Mr. Lee is in this room with his wife." She started to lead me to the room with Miyoung close behind. 

"How did you know I'm his son?" She pointed to the room and gave me a small smile. "You look just like him."

"How are you related to Mr. Lee?" The nurse asked, looking at Miyoung. "W-we're just friends." 

"You can visit him later if you want. Right now we're only allowing family members." 

She nodded with understanding and sat down outside the hospital room. I walked in and saw my mother weeping and my dad laying on the hospital bed, sleeping.

"How is he?" I whispered, looking at my dad. I felt a surge of tears come up.

"The stage of cancer is very advanced. That's why he's been feeling all this pain. I told him to visit the doctor sooner... He was too stubborn... They don't know if they can remove it in time."

Tears streamed down my face silently while I looked at my dad. 

"He'll make it. He has to." I whispered, gritting my teeth together and holding his hand.