Passing On

Do You Remember Me?

D O N G H A E 

My dad has been in a not-so stable condition throughout the past couple of months. The treatments were going okay, but not as well as the doctors had hoped. It was a quite advanced stage of cancer. I was so worried about my dad; I wanted to spend every moment with him the doctors allowed me to.

Miyoung finally convinced me to spend some time away from my father in order to get my mind off of things. "But he's not in a stable condition, he needs me-" 

Miyoung stopped walking and held be by my shoulders, looking at me straight in the eye. The feeling of her warm hands on my shoulders quickened my heart beat, making my cheeks blush a slight pink.

I could barely see her eyes through her thick glasses and bangs, but I knew she was looking at me. "Listen, Donghae. You've been by your father's side almost everyday, all day. It's time you take a break."

I stared at her for a few seconds before sighing and nodding slowly. "Fine. Just for an hour, arasso?"

"Please, you can definitely push it at least another 15 minutes-"

She dragged me to the center of the city and walked to an ice cream stand. "What do you want?" She asked, smiling. I shrugged. "I'm not really in the mood for ice cream."

"I'll pay," she said tauntingly, waving her wallet in front of my face. I gave a small smile and nodded. "Chocolate's my favorite." I mumbled. She grinned and pulled me to the stand, ordering a vanilla for herself and a chocolate for me. The vendor gave us our cones and I started eating mine, my lips. 

"This is really good." I said, smiling at her. She was looking at me, almost in a trance. "I-is there something on my mouth?" I asked, embarrassed, wiping my mouth with my sleeve. 

"Uh, no. Sorry. There's nothing there." She gave a sheepish smile and I just shrugged, continuing to walk.

We sat on a bench and an old couple walked past. Miyoung and I smiled at them and she whispered, "They're so cute, aren't they?" I smiled, nodding, while the couple walked up to us, grinning. "You two look just like how we did 60 years ago. You two are so cute, God bless you!" She said, grinning.

Miyoung and I blushed, scooting away from each other. "N-no, we're not a couple! We're just friends!" We explained, our cheeks turning red. "That's exactly what I told this old fellow. Look where we are now!" She said, her eyes twinkling. "Have a nice day, you two." She said, walking away.

"... Awkward." I said, swinging my feet back and forth. 

"U-um, yeah." Miyoung said, holding her head down. I looked at her; she was also swinging her feet and held her ice cream cone, it quietly. 

I grabbed her ice cream cone and took a , grinning at her.

"Hey! I paid for your cone, so why can't I have mine?!" She asked, pouting. "You can have a of mine!" I said, holding out my cone. 
"If you insist!" She gushed, grabbing my cone and it up happily. 

I felt my phone vibrate and it was my mom. "Hello?"

"...What? Oh my God, I'll be right over." 

"Who was that?" Miyoung asked, tilting her head.

"It was my mom- my dad is in critical condition. I've got to go." I said, getting up and throwing away the cone.

"Want me to come? For moral support?"

"Please do."

We ran to the hospital as fast as our feet would take us and the nurse took us to my dad's room. Miyoung waited outside while I ran in, frantically looking at my father. He was gasping for air and his face looked pale and his forehead was coated with sweat.

"Dad!" I yelled, running to my dad's side. I gently held his hand and whimpered, rocking it against my chest. "Appa, everything's gonna be okay-" 

"Donghae, you know I'm not going to make it." He wheezed, looking at me with pity. "No! You have to make it! I know you will!" I cried, caressing his cheek gently. My mom's sobs filled the room besides his loud breathing.

"T-the doctor said the treatments were going fine! What's wrong?!" I cried, sobbing loudly. "I have another tumor forming near my heart. They didn't catch it in time. Sorry, Donghae-"

"Don't say that, dad! You'll make it!" I cried, trying to convince myself. 

"...Good-bye, Donghae. I'll always... Love you... And your mother." His voice trailed off and his eyes glazed over.

The machine stopped beeping.

"Why did the machine stop beeping?!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face. "It's not right! He didn't deserve this!" My mom hugged me, whimpering softly. The nurses came in and closed his eyelids, giving us time to mourn.

A couple of hours later I came out. Miyoung stood up quickly with worried eyes. "How is he?"

"...He's dead." I said coldly, glaring at her. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Donghae. You must be-" 

"It's all your fault! If I didn't go out for ice cream with you-" I yelled, my voice getting quite loud.

My mom cut me off, glaring at me. "This is not her fault, Donghae. You know that." She hissed. She looked at Miyoung with eyes filled with sorrow and bowed her head. "Mianhae for his behavior. H-he's very affected by this, as am I." She said, sniffling.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Miyoung asked, anxiously looking at us two. My mom shook her head. "For now, just give us some space, please. That's all we're asking."

Tears streamed down my face as I exited the hospital, leaving Miyoung behind.