I Must Be Dreaming

It's Complicated

"Excuse me, Miss Lau, are you still there?" The female voice asked.

"Are you sure, this is not.. a joke?" I asked, a teeny bit doubtful. Maybe this is some kind of prank or something.

"Oh, no ma'am. We don't joke around. We go directly to business. I am Lee Young Gi, a scout for YG."

"Wow." was all I could say.

"When do you have free time, Miss Lau, and we can have a short talk or something?"

"I don't have classes tomorrow, so I guess that can be."

"Now, I do understand that you may be quite surprised here, but please do trust us."

"Um, of course, of course! I'll be looking forward to it." She gives me the time and place of our meeting.

"We'll be looking forward to your presence, Miss Lau. Good day." 

"Good day, too." I said, putting the receiver down. Everything's happening.. well, fast. I discover an old video of myself a few hours ago and now, I have YG Entertainment knocking at my door. 

"What on earth have you gotten into Jiyonn Lau? What?!" I said to myself. But this is what I want right? Or am I just rushing things?

By the time Mom and Dad came home, it was dinner time. The three of us including our housekeeper were eating dinner when I told them about everything; the video and the call from YG.

"Honey," Mom said, dropping her chopsticks. "Are you sure? I mean, going back to singing and all?"

"I don't mean being an artist. It's like going back to being a trainee. But not now, of course."

"If that is what you like, then I'm okay with it." Dad said, taking a mouthful of noodles.

"Really, Dad?" I asked

"Hm, well okay, since I want to see you happy again." Mom said, finally agreeing. I'm just no sure about the being happy thing. "But are you sure? You don't want the accident to happen again.."

"Oh Mom, I'm like in the right age now. And I'm sure I can balance that with my studies, okay? Please please please. And it's just a meeting, not some training thing."

"Since you say so, okay." Mom said, finishing the last bit of her food.

"Really? Oh thank you thank you!" I said, running around the table to give them a hug.

So they agreed. But a part of me was a bit doubtful of what I'm going into. What is the same thing happens over again? And, it's YG. YG Entertainment. A new and much different environment. This is giving me one big headache. I'll just sleep it all in.


Like I'd be able to sleep. I even had barely two hours of sleep. And here I am, drinking a venti-sized coffee waiting for Lee Young Gi. Minutes later, a a tall lady entered the shop, wearing corporate outfit, hair tied back to a ponytail. Oh goodness, Her legs look like they could go on forever. Little did I realize she was approaching my table.

"Are you Miss Jiyonn Lau?" She asked. "I'm Lee Young Gi."

I stood up and bowed. "Nice to meet you."

"The car is waiting outside. Let's go." Car? What? 

"I thought we're gonna have a meeting. Wait." I can't help but ask her while walking. But she just smiled.

"Yes. At the main office of YG Entertainment." Crap. I don't think I look good enough. I only wore a plain V-neck shirt, coat, my faded jeans and a pair of sneakers. What are they going to think of me? We rode the car in silence as I stared at my cup.

"Please don't worry. Mr. Yang is really kind." She said, focusing on the road.

"It's not that.." I said, looking at the road, too. "It'll be okay. Promise." She said, smiling. I smiled back and gulped down my coffee. After some highways and U-Turns, we finally arrived at our destination: YG Entertainment. We went down the car and with shaking hands, I went inside, While we were walking, I tried to avoid people's eyes. I wonder if they know who I am. On a second thought, I wish they don't. I do wonder if I could come across 2NE1 or Big Bang or Gummy. I giggled to myself, looking stupid. 

"We're here." Young Gi said, and I stared at the huge wooden doors in front of me. She knocked and opened the door. Now I wouldn't want to tell about how I almost tripped on my way, making YG laugh a bit but I'm sure you get the image. I don't just fall on stairs for a reason. I gave a low bow and greeted them.

"Ah Jiyonn Lau, welcome. I'm sure you know me." And he went on talking about the video of me singing and dancing and how he was interested in taking me in as a trainee. I was too dazed to understand what he meant, but I'm sure I was okay when he said, "I want you to be a part of the YG Family."

"Me?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Yes, you."

"But, why me? That video was many years ago." I tried to argue.

"You have talent--"

"But," I insisted. "relying on talent alone can't just bring me back from the dead. One has to want it to become successful, like want it crazy to become a singer. Once a person starts training, it becomes their life, their routine--"

"And that's why we want you." YG replied. "Just by listening to what you said there, you have determination somewhere in you. And you will find it."

I thought about my Mom, Dad and even Ji Sung. I thought about how they supported me.

"When do I get to debut?" He laughed.

"SM Entertainment. You guys are so straightforward."

"I'm not from SM." I said.

"Well, you were." He replied. "Hm, if you want to debut already, you have to undergo much more training than all regular trainees."

"But wouldn't it be like this huge thing if someone who's supposed to debut under SM will debut under YG?" 

"So it'll be a secret. Surprise the media." Like that was a good strategy.

"Er, okay." He then handed me some papers and a pen as he watched me sign the papers. 

"So, you're also fluent in English, no?" He asked. I browsed the papers for anything that said I was. 

"Um, yes," I replied, still working on the papers. "I was born and raised in Boston until I was about 12 years old."

"Ah, I see..."

I stood up after signing giving him and Young Gi, who I was still there listening, a low bow. "Thank you very much for this opportunity. Thank you."

"No problem. Welcome to YG Entertainment. Also, do your best."

"Yes, yes, I will, president."

"Oh, and Young Gi, can you stay for a while? There's this girl from Anyang who I want you to look further."

"Okay sir. Jiyonn, can you wait for me downstairs? I'm sure you remember the way back, there's a cafe downstairs and you can wait for me there." Young Gi said. I nodded and left the office.

I must be dreaming. I am not a trainee(a freaking trainee!) under YG Ent.! As much as I wanted to jump and scream around, I wouldn't want to risk my image. I was giggling to myself until I crashed to a figure walking by.

"Um, sorry." I said, giving him or her a bow and started to walk faster.

"Hey, you." He replied coldly, grabbing my arm. What have you done now? Tell me this is not happening. 

"What do you want, I said I was sorry." I replied in full English. Beat that, stranger. 

But wait, he is no stranger. He took off his cap, and my jaw dropped. 

"You are..." He just smiled.

"Kwon.. Ji Yong..."

I must be dreaming. What have I done?!