Piledriver Waltz

It's Complicated

Days after, I went out to visit Heejun’s grandmother’s record store when classes ended. I invited Ji Sung to come with me but she was asked to look over her parents’ café so I ended up going alone. Thankfully, Heejun gave the directions the night before and it was just a few bus stops away from YG’s headquarters.

After getting down from the bus, and after a five minute walk, I arrive in front of the shop, according to the directions. The front looked like the stores in England during the 70s with its colorful décor and sign, and there was also a huge poster of a yellow submarine on the window and other paraphernalia. I smiled to myself and went in the shop, where a smiling Heejun greeted me.

“Hey I’m so glad you made it!” He said. Heejun was dressed comfortable in a plaid polo and a white shirt with the shop’s name, dark jeans and sneakers.

 “No worries, I just got off from university so I decided to drop by,” I replied, glancing around the shop. Even its interior looked like the typical 70s diner-slash-record store with the black-and-white tiles, neon lights and posters on the wall.  My mom would love it here so I made a mental reminder to bring her here one time.

There were a handful of customers but they were busy checking out racks and shelves of records, CDs and band merchandise; and Heejun was right: most of the customers are middle-aged people probably reminiscing their golden days. But there was also a small group of friends who looked like they were in high school checking out the band shirts on one corner.

Just then, a door near the counter opens and a middle-aged lady, whom I assume is Heejun’s grandmother comes out, smiling.

“You must be Jiyonn.” She said, her eyes forming into half-moons. “I’m Young Ja, his grandmother.”

I bow at her before shaking her hand. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Likewise, my grandson has been talking about you,” she laughs, glancing at Heejun who was scratching the back of his neck, grinning. “Says he met a friend at YG who like vinyls and The Beatles.”

Young Ja talked about how she and her late husband had a friend from England who gave them vinyls and CDs until they decided to set up a shop so everyone, especially men and women in their age, can enjoy and reminisce listening to music as if they were in the old days.

“But of course, I highly appreciate having kids like you visiting us and being interested in this kind of music. It’s like a breath of fresh air from the mainstream music industry we have nowadays.” She concluded. “Anyway, you can go take a look around the shop while I prepare business reports. Heejun, kindly accompany her, thank you.”

Before she went back to her office, I thank her and promised that this wouldn’t be the last time I visit her shop.

 “Pretty cool place, huh?” Heejun said, looking around the store. “I’m still amazed every time I go in here.”

I nodded, still in awe of the store’s atmosphere. “I look like I’ve been transported to the 70’s or something. This is so cool!”

“Wait until you check out the artists we have,” Heejun replied, leading me to rows full of records. It’s like being in a library, but a library full of vinyls and CDs. “We have an entire row dedicated to The Beatles, by the way!”

“If you want to listen to a record, you can bring it over here,” he said, stopping in front of a bronze-colored phonograph. I muttered a “wow” when I saw it. “The phonograph was well-maintained so it works as good as new.”

As we were going around the store (it’s pretty big for your ordinary music store, by the way), Heejun introduced me to his cousin, Seulgi, who frequently visited the shop and has pretty good taste in music for a 13-year old. Even if she likes listening to Korean artists, she said that she will always love indie bands and artists like Fleetwood Mac, The Stone Roses and other bands which I haven’t heard of, but I think I would like.

“I can give you a playlist if you want,” she winked.

“Please do. I think my music library needs an update and I’ve been listening to too much upbeat songs due to training.” I replied.  

At one point, Heejun had to accommodate some customers so I ended up checking out some shelves by myself. I also thought of buying my mother a record and one for me since it’s been a while since I’ve listened from something like this. I also remember seeing a shirt that I like and I contemplated on buying it. The past months have all been about dance battles and upbeat music that I haven’t had time to listen to relaxing music except before training with Na Young.

When I went to the Beatles special shelf, the first person I thought of was my mom, who is a huge fan of The Beatles since she grew up listening to it. I remember when I was a kid, she would put the huge black record on the phonograph and their voices would resonate all over the house. I’ll also never forget the smile on my mother’s face when she listens to it; it’s the same look of admiration when you pass by a hardworking painter creating a work of art. It’s the same look I see when Ji Sung would bake a cake or prepare coffee for the customers at her café, and I love it whenever I see it on someone. It gives me that feeling that whoever that person is, he or she has a purpose in life and that they enjoy what they do. For me, it’s more attractive than a wink, or a cute pose.

I went around and spotted Heejun assisting the customers from earlier, answering their questions and giving a few facts about whichever artist he was speaking of, and for some reason I find that the way he spoke was like the way he danced: full of commitment and knowledge. He knows what to say as how he knows what to dance, and he executes it perfectly. Maybe it’s because he has been a member of a dance crew for so long and that he worked at the shop for a long time as well, but it was amusing to see him like that. Even from a distance, you can really see how much he loves what he was doing.

I might have stared at him for a while because the next thing I realized was that he was waving his hand in front of me, then snapped his fingers.

“Were you spying on us back there?” He asked.

I quickly shook my head ad replied that I was thinking of what to buy for my mother.

“Well, what kind of music does she like, or who are her favorite artists?” We started walking through different aisles as I mentioned artists and bands on top of my head. Like me, my mother has a pretty wide range of musical interests and she’s very appreciative of gifts so I don’t think it will matter if I get her favorite artists because hey, it’s the thought that counts.

“You really know your way around here, don’t you? You know which artist is in which aisle, which record is in which shelf and all,” I observed as we went around.

“Well,” Heejun said, stopping by one of the racks. “First, I’ve been working here for almost three years and I’ve been present during clean-ups, so I really know which aisle is which. Second, aside from dancing, I love music. My sister and I, in fact. We love jamming to songs and have these silly lip sync battles.”

As he talked, I recognized that he had that look again. Perhaps it was because he was talking about what and who he loves: dancing, music and his sister. It looked really amusing to see him talk and at the same time, recommend me new artists. After going through racks and aisles, we were joined by a surprise company.

“Hey mister, what are your top favorite records?”

Heejun and I look back and find Ji Yong, leaning at a shelf. My heart started pounding rapidly as he approached us and I tried to act as calm and as natural as possible.

“There’s probably a long list of that, and an afternoon isn’t enough for me to share that.” Heejun replied as the two boys share a nonchalant high-five. Ji Yong looked around the aisle we were in before noticing me.

“Oh, didn’t realize you were here.” He calmly said, snickering. My mouth hung as I tried to think of a witty comeback.

“Sorry, was I too tall for you to notice?”

We stare at each other (which was more like I was glaring at him) for a few seconds before Heejun chuckled.

“Whoa, I never knew you guys were like that to each other,” he laughed.

I huffed and took a random record from the shelf. “I treat people the way they treat me, thank you.”

So we went on looking for records and an half an hour later, I end up with two records for my mom and a shirt for myself. Ji Yong ended up buying a cap for himself and as we were about to pay, Heejun got something under the counter and handed it to me.

“I heard you like Strawberry Fields Forever, so this is for you,” he said. In my hands was the 1967 record of the song with its matching A-side, Penny Lane. It felt like I was holding a piece of gold as I stared at the record.

“Oh my god, are you kidding me?” I replied, stuttering. “I’ve been looking for this all afternoon!”

“You can have it.” Heejun replied. “It’s on me, don’t worry. A little thank you gift for being a good friend and all.”

Hearing that, I couldn’t help but smile. It wasn’t that long before I met Heejun and it felt as if I’ve known him for a long while. Maybe it’s because he’s such a laid-back kind of guy that one easily feels comfortable around him. Or it’s the fact that we have the same wavelength in music which was why we got along so well.

“Aw, thank you, Heejun,” I said, admiring the vintage feel of the cover, then raised a brow. “Wait, how did you know this is my favorite?”

“…Feels extra proud every time she hears a Beatles song. Favorite: Strawberry Fields Forever. ”

I felt my face warm up as I recalled events days ago. Could it be possible that Ji Yong told this to Heejun? I glanced at Ji Yong and he shrugged.

Heejun smiled. “I had a feeling.”

After we paid, Ji Yong and I thanked Heejun and his grandmother for their hospitality and I thanked Heejun a hundredth time for giving me the record for free. When we got out of the shop, I was expecting Ji Yong would leave for somewhere else and not even say goodbye (knowing the self-centred prude that he is), but I was wrong on that note.

“Have any plans after this?” He said, already wearing the cap be bought.

As much as I wanted to lie and tell him that I will be busy, I couldn’t seem to. Not when I’m in a strangely good mood.

“No—I don’t think so, I mean—“ I might have looked and sounded pretty stupid in front of him, but he just smiles and hides his laughter.

I take a deep breath, getting my thoughts straight. “I don’t have any plans. Why?”

Next thing I know, Ji Yong took my hand and started walking. I started feeling dizzy and if my heart wasn’t beating rapidly earlier, I don’t know by now. His hand felt warm and secure against mine and for a moment, I don’t want to let go.

“Come with me, we’re going on a date.”

When he said this, my hands jerked away from him and I took a step back, my eyes wide in shock. Did I hear things correctly? We are going on a date? A date? Date?

“Whoa, easy there!” I half-shrieked.

But he just laughed and shook his head. “You thought I was being serious when I said that?”

Not going to lie, but I felt hurt. It was like having your indirect confession being rejected and treated as a joke. My head started to ache and to be honest, I wanted to cry. Then I reminded myself that we’re not lovers or anything and I don’t think we’re as close to being called friends given the complicated nature of our relationship.

I had nothing to for the rest of the day and this date—or whatever Ji Yong wanted to call it—might be a good opportunity for me to know him better.

So I shook my head and tried my best to smile.

“I think you’re kidding,” I said, then started to walk.