The Scientist

It's Complicated

 

“So, how’s the new apartment going?” Ji Sung asked me over lunch. Because our exams were starting tomorrow, our classes which usually ended at noon were extended until four in the afternoon. I’ve informed Na Young that I’ll not be able to attend practice for two days and she agreed and wished me good luck.

I smile at her. “It’s good. Although it’s been almost a week since I moved in, I still miss home and all that. But I never thought living alone would be this kind of exciting.”

“Exciting?” She raises her brows and laughs. “What happened to the daddy’s girl who swore she’d build a house next to her parent’s when she grew up?”

“Hey I’m making that house a dream come true, okay? Exciting because you get to learn what to do by yourself. Like how much money to spend on groceries and what or where to eat for dinner and all that. It also became more convenient for me for practice because it’s just a ten minute walk from the agency.” Ji Sung nods and we finish our lunch.

As expected, afternoon classes started and ended on time. Because I didn’t have practice, I decided to rest at the apartment then study at night at the bubble tea store. Oh, and speaking of practice, we started to practice for the upcoming YG Family showcase after Mi Jung informed us that she was pushing through with her current lineup of performers and dancers. It was the typical “dance party” concept YG Entertainment does and the dance steps aren’t that difficult. Heejun and I would hang out during breaks and naturally became good friends. It was a relief because aside from my seniors and Na Young, I know someone else.

 I arrived at the apartment a bit earlier and having extra minutes to sleep made me ready for studying tonight. Before I left, Mom called in and informed me that they might visit the apartment this week to check on how I was doing and if I was cleaning it. I laughed and replied that it was still spotless, which is true because I was afraid my parents would visit me by surprise and find out that the apartment was a mini jungle. She tells me that she had to go out for dinner, hangs up and I leave the apartment to study.

Mi Rae’s bubble tea shop was buzzing with people who just got out from work and after placing my order, I find a cozy spot near the window and started looking through my notes.  I think I was doing a good job at it when a couple minutes passed by and I noticed a tall man with black hair enter with a slightly shorter man beside him. Both of them were wearing dark sunglasses and caps so I figured they were artists, but later I figured out that it was the Lee Soo Hyuk with Ji Yong. I shrugged, telling myself not to get concerned or anything and went back to studying, putting back my earpods to help me concentrate.

Minutes later, I heard a faint sound of someone pulling a chair in front of me and it was Ji Yong who was saying something, but because of the loud music form my earpods, I had to take them out.

“What were you saying again?” I asked.

“I was asking you if this seat was taken and now I figure it is.” He replied with a hint of sarcasm.

I look down and put in both of the earpods and went back to my notes. “The seat’s all yours as long as you don’t disturb me.”

Ji Yong nods. “Sounds good to me.”

Maybe it was the music I was listening to, or the fact that our knees were touching, or maybe it was both that I suddenly couldn’t concentrate. I look up and find him staring at me with what looks to be an amused expression.

I put my hands up and say, “I’m just studying here don’t mind me.”

He laughs and leans an arm over the table. “You look so different studying compared to when I see you in practice.”

“Is that a compliment or an insult?” I peered into his eyes.

“Hm,” Ji Yong tilts his head to the side and I could have sworn it was the cutest thing I’ve seen from him all this time and I felt a weird sensation in my stomach. I was then distracted by the music to listen to him and I started to lightly tap my pen to the music.

Later on, I felt someone touch my ear and I almost fall off my chair when I realized that Ji Yong’s fingertips were against my ear and he also looked surprised, drawing back his hands.

“Oh my—hey—wait, what the heck was that about?” I half-shouted, regaining my composure.

He merely laughs in reply and says, “I was asking you if I could listen to whatever is that you’re listening because you seemed to be enjoying it.”

For a moment, I stare at him. “I’m not really sure if you’ll like—“

“Aw I don’t mind.” He grins. I give him the other earpod and together we listened while I tried to distract myself from thinking that maybe he might make fun of me for what I listen to.

“I kinda like this song,” Ji Yong says, taking a sip of his bubble tea. The song was “The Scientist” by Coldplay, which is my favorite band next to Nell. “Not really the kind of music I listen to, but it’s nice.”

I look up from my notes. “You think so? Or are you just being kind?”

“Well aren’t you assertive,” he cooed. I rolled my eyes and took out another textbook when the next song that played was their own song, “Bad Boy”. Ji Yong laughed all of a sudden and my cheeks automatically flared up, so I quickly buried my face in the book to hide it.

“Hey get up; what’s the matter?” He snickered. “I never knew you were our fangirl.”

“No I am not!” I mumbled, my hair caught in a mess between my face and the textbook.

“Then why did you hide your face all of a sudden?”

I tried burying my face further into the book to hide myself. “Shut up!”

“Awww you’re so cute.” Ji Yong replied, and all of a sudden I felt his hands ruffling my hair. As much as I wanted to get up and tell him that I’m just a normal fan, I couldn’t because: (1) I don’t know how I was going to say it; (2) I could still feel that my face is red and; (3) my heart was beating rapidly that I might end up saying incoherent things.

After half a minute, I got up, fixing my hair and took a deep breath. “Sorry for that.” I mumbled.

“S’okay.” He shrugged. “Really, what happened there?”

“It’s weird to listen to a song when one of the people who sang it is pretty much in front of me,” I tried to explain. “You know what I mean, like, ‘hey I don’t know you listen to my music’ and I’m just listening to it as if I’m okay with it—“

I stopped speaking when I realized that Ji Yong was looking at me with a funny expression. “—I’m not making any sense, right?”

He replied that it was fine and asked if he can change the music. I said it was okay and he switched it back to “The Scientist”.

“I like it,” was all he said before taking out a little notebook and a pen and started writing, still probably brainstorming.

I went back to studying and rewriting notes for tomorrow’s exams and as I did, I took notice of his little mannerisms. From the way his face would scrunch up, or how he would spin the pen around his fingers, and later on I found myself smiling at it. It was my first time to see him like this; so different from the times I’ve seen him before. Here was a man who just wanted to express himself through music and share it to other people. A man who just wanted to get back on stage and perform for his supporters with his friends.

My little observation of Ji Yong stopped when I heard him mumble, “I hope this is okay,” and dropped his pen.

“Huh?” I asked in a daze.

“The little notes I made.” He said, pointing to the scribbles on his notebook. “I hope it’s enough for the guys and I to get the approval of the executive staff.”

I nodded, trying to keep up with his explanations.

“Anyway,” Ji Yong said, leaning back, “you go on studying now. Wouldn’t want to bother you.”

“Eh?”

“Go back to studying.”

It took me a few seconds before I could retain my trail of thought. “O-Oh okay sorry about that.”

“Information overload?” He snickered, taking a good look at the book on the table. “Isn’t it pretty challenging to balance studying at training?”

“Not really.” I tried not to look at him so instead I focused on the book, flipping pages. “Well as long as you manage your time wisely and know what stuff to prioritize…”

I spend the remainder of the night half reviewing and half talking to Ji Yong about different matters: music, movies, food and sports. This time, he was the one who talked at most and then I realized that we have maybe one or two things in common. A part of me felt really guilty because my prejudices affected the way I treated him and vice-versa.

There’s no use crying over spilled milk anyway. At least we’re okay for now, I hope so.

 “Aren't you supposed to be going home by now?” He asked, looking at his watch.

I hadn't realized that it was already past 8:30 and the workers of the shop were starting to fix up. “I… I guess so—but I moved to a new place and—oh whatever I might as well go home.”

Both of us left the shop and I noticed that Ji Yong was covering his mouth with his hands, obviously hiding his laughter.

I scowled at him. “You can laugh now that we’re outside okay.”

“But you’re cute when you’re flustered.”

I clutched the straps of my backpack tighter and bit my bottom lip, with my heart hammering. An awkward silence filled the air as we walked. Thankfully the building of the apartment was near so I quickly thanked him for tonight and bade him a safe bus trip on the way home.

Ji Yong put his hands in the pocket of his jacket, grinning. “Don’t worry; I live somewhere around here.”

“Didn't you take the bus before?” I asked. I’m not at all ready to accept the fact that he lives in the same complex that I do.

“Ah, I went to my mother’s place back then. My place isn't that far from here, come to think of it. Anyway, good night.” He replied, smiling. I thanked him again and went on my back to the apartment, hoping that I don’t fail tomorrow’s exams.